The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to part ways with Judd Bracket

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I truly hope Brackett gets a chance at an AGM job somewhere or maybe even a full GM and succeeds...just not as much as us. Brackett truly moved through the ranks very quickly and I think our good drafting aligns with both the moment he became head of amateur scouting and Benning's arrival. The two made a great team, though as others have pointed out, we've had many other great scouts as well. It looks like Benning and the Canucks offered to keep Brackett, but he rightly wants an opportunity at a more prestigious position and he definitely deserves it. I'm not worried for the Canucks and I'm excited for Brackett to get a shot at more spotlight and fame.

• Cheers 4

We're gonna find out pretty quickly if Bracket was the brains behind these past few drafts.  Canucks have been hitting home runs consistently... if that changes all of a sudden, I think we know we lost a big time talent in Bracket.

The inference in the last line  is pretty funny considering that Benning wrangled a power play earlier where he didn’t have to report to his Boss (Linden) and got to bypass him to report directly to Ownership.

Brackett isn’t allowed to defend himself against comments like that as he is under contract, and likely can’t really open up about it once his contract is over as he has to look for another job.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We're gonna find out pretty quickly if Bracket was the brains behind these past few drafts.  Canucks have been hitting home runs consistently... if that changes all of a sudden, I think we know we lost a big time talent in Bracket.

Well, hopefully, if our draft results change, it’ll just be because we’re a better team and no longer getting to pick in the top-10.

EDIT: I think we’ll be better able to judge Brackett’s impact by comparing Day 2 Draft results (rounds 2-7), but that conversation can’t really happen until around a decade from now.

Under Brackett, we’ve drafted some very promising prospects from our Day 2 picks, but only Gaudette, Brisebois, and DiPietro have actually played NHL games. Remains to be seen how the others turn out (although I expect about a dozen of our 2015-19 Day 2 picks to play some number of NHL games).

That said, you can look at 2014 (the last Eric Crawford draft) and see the first five players we picked have all played NHL games. Judd hasn’t met that mark yet (although I think 2017 will be close, once all those prospects have fully developed), and we recovered just fine from dumping Crawford, so I expect we’ll be OK without Brackett.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

The inference in the last line  is pretty funny considering that Benning wrangled a power play earlier where he didn’t have to report to his Boss (Linden) and got to bypass him to report directly to Ownership.

Brackett isn’t allowed to defend himself against comments like that as he is under contract, and likely can’t really open up about it once his contract is over as he has to look for another job.

JBen would never give full autonomy on the draft to someone else, JBen is most comfortable when scouting, that's the pat of GMing he has the most experience- he is right tho, he did nurture JBrack. 

We all love Linden, but Benning has way more experience and TL was a rookie when it came to managing/operations. Rumour was TL was against bringing in Quinn Hughes this early, against trading picks like the Miller and Toffoli trades (which happened after he left) and it looks like JB was right- Hughes was ready and it was time to bring guys like miller and toff in- could it be that JB is competent?????

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 4

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

If what some people here are claiming is actually true - that Judd single handedly turned around this organization through his drafting choices (and I'm not saying it is or isn't ture) - then he won't need to be looking for another job, GM's will be lining up to hire and promote him. 

17 minutes ago, mll said:

36 minutes ago, Provost said:

That literally doesn’t say that he is demanding full autonomy.

Having conditions are significantly more likely to be “I want the ability to hire my own scouts like every other Director of Scouting has” or “I want the same responsibilities I had up to this year and not less”.

Considering Benning said publicly he and Weisbrod were going to take over more of his department, that is far more likely than Brackett asking for something that has never existed in the history of any organization.

Add to the history of other folks being pushed out by Benning and Weisbrod in power plays, it doesn’t add up to what you are saying.

You are wrong!

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not so sure about that tbh. It won't be that black and white.

No team hits home runs consistently year after year for an extended period of time, we've been spoiled as of late. It's just not the norm nowadays when scouts are so much more thorough and the tech/scouting methods are better. To expect what we've been getting to continue isn't realistic at all, especially given that we shouldn't be drafting as high as we have been going forward. 

This team should continue to improve so we'll likely be drafting lower. Can we still find diamonds? Absolutely, and I hope we do. But drafting is a tricky thing and there are thirty other teams trying to do the same thing right now. It's going to be interesting to see what happens going forward, but any perceived dip in the quality of prospects we end up drafting will involve much more than Bracket not being around. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

it looks like JB was right- Hughes was ready and it was time to bring guys like miller and toff in- could it be that JB is competent?????

In terms of cost?  We paid a fair price in these deals. Maybe / Probably even stole Miller?

I did not like either deal at the time they were made. Unlike JD Burke, not because of price paid.

The true cost is still yet to be determined. It is not likely we will be able to keep two of Markstrom, Tanev & Toffoli. It does not appear Tofu & Miller elevated us to contender status? We are a better team this year. But, if we don't win this year?

Are we going to be a better team next year & the year after?

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I doubt other fanbases even know the names of their GM, let alone head scouts or whatever Brackett was. This feels like fans making a mountain out of a mole hill. Brackett got credit for the good picks but Benning got the blame for the bad ones. We'll see, but something tells me our scouting department will be just fine without Brackett. 

I have a feeling everyone in Toronto knows the name of their zamboni driver David Ayres 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Not even close Jimmy.

You know as well as I do that there's a certain element on CDC (not saying you or I^_^), that will continue to dredge up every single pick that Judd's next organization makes (and he will be hired by another organization undoubtedly) and compare them with ours - for better or worse. 

This story ain't over, just one chapter - I think we know CDC too well to believe that. 

That unfortunately is gauranteed.

Jim Benning is the guy who traded a First round draft to a team that ( every team knew) was looking to cap dump a contract. John Weisbrod selected a player 15th overall who was expected to be a 5th round pick. These guy are taking over our scouting absolutely great:)

• Wat 1