The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA burns. The George Floyd Thread

Derek Chauvin gets 22+ years for the murder of George Floyd. I'd say justice was served:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7980083/george-floyd-murder-derek-chauvin-sentence/

Former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin has been sentenced to 22.5 years in prison for the murder of George Floyd, in a case that sparked global outrage and a reckoning on racial disparities in America.

70c8fc80

Though Chauvin is widely expected to appeal, he also still faces trial on federal civil rights charges, along with three other fired officers who have yet to have their state trials.

The concrete barricades, razor wire and National Guard patrols that shrouded the county courthouse for Chauvin’s three-week trial are gone, and so is most of the tension in the city as it awaited a verdict in April. Still, there’s a recognition that Chauvin’s sentencing will be another major step forward for a city that has been on edge since Floyd’s death on May 25, 2020.

“Between the incident, the video, the riots, the trial — this is the pinnacle of it,” Mike Brandt, a local defense attorney who has closely followed Chauvin’s case, said. “The verdict was huge too, but this is where the justice comes down.”

Somewhere....Tucker Carlson is losing his sh** right now....

• Hydration 2
3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Derek Chauvin gets 22+ years for the murder of George Floyd. I'd say justice was served:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7980083/george-floyd-murder-derek-chauvin-sentence/

Somewhere....Tucker Carlson is losing his sh** right now....

He will likely be out in 15 years though...when eligible for parole. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Guy should never get out.  I can’t believe he only got 22 years.  His murder was committed on friggin’ video!  Lock him up and throw away the key.  

• Hydration 2
8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Could be....IMO, the important thing is it's a significant sentence and sends a message to cops who think they're untouchable....

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Sedinery 1
15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guy should never get out.  I can’t believe he only got 22 years.  His murder was committed on friggin’ video!  Lock him up and throw away the key.  

While I appreciate the sentiment, proof is proof. Just because the evidence in this case is video, it shouldn't make a difference in sentencing...

...also, we have to bear in mind that the prosecutors decided on lesser charges, to ensure that they get the conviction. We may not like these sort of compromises, but it's the way the world works.

Finally, George Floyd's family seem to be satisfied, so who are we to gainsay....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

While I appreciate the sentiment, proof is proof. Just because the evidence in this case is video, it shouldn't make a difference in sentencing...

...also, we have to bear in mind that the prosecutors decided on lesser charges, to ensure that they get the conviction. We may not like these sort of compromises, but it's the way the world works.

Finally, George Floyd's family seem to be satisfied, so who are we to gainsay....

You write a lot of rational,reasonable posts,this is one of the best even if it is not palatable to some

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Alflives said:

He'll likely have to spend most or all that time in "PC" (protective custody).  Ain't a cake-walk having to spend like 22+ hours in a small cell every day.

• Hydration 2
15 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He'll likely have to spend most or all that time in "PC" (protective custody).  Ain't a cake-walk having to spend like 22+ hours in a small cell every day.

Solitary confinement can break the strongest person.

A fitting punishment that will act as a deterrent.

• Hydration 1
7 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Favorite argument of the NRA is a good guy with a gun.

In this case good Samaritan lost his life after shooting the cop killer.

I think too many guns might be the problem.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-man-shot-colorado-gunman-killed-officer-78500318

It's one of those things that just makes you shake your head....

...the pro gun lobby has this cowboy mentality, where the "responsible" gun owner saves an innocent victim for evil doers....

Unfortunately, real life just isn't that neat and tidy. Reality sets in and quite often it does so with tragic consequences....

• Like 1
14 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Favorite argument of the NRA is a good guy with a gun.

In this case good Samaritan lost his life after shooting the cop killer.

I think too many guns might be the problem.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-man-shot-colorado-gunman-killed-officer-78500318

I read that article and it makes me think of a "old western movie" guys with guns everywhere shooting them.

You are totally right,too many guns however it has always been this way.

• 3 weeks later...

What the pic doesn't show is 2 seconds into the future. That picture would be of the sheriff clutching his shot to hell right arm; all because guy with the rifle stumbles on that dirt where his right foot is about to land.

• Hydration 2
27 minutes ago, gurn said:

What the pic doesn't show is 2 seconds into the future. That picture would be of the sheriff clutching his shot to hell right arm; all because guy with the rifle stumbles on that dirt where his right foot is about to land.

I dunno about that.

It looks like he is pointing his gun towards where his miniscule brain resides.

What's even sadder is that the Wiki of that county is exactly as you would suspect.

Ector County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. In the 2010 census, its population was 137,130. As of 2019, its population is 166,223. Its county seat is Odessa. The county was founded in 1887 and organized in 1891. It is named for Mathew Ector, a Confederate general in the American Civil War. 

Unemployment at 11.9% as of Feb.

Edit:  And TRUMP got 73.3% of the vote in 2020.

http://www.co.ector.tx.us/page/ector.Elections

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds