The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cannabis Growers Anonymous

luckylager

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

that loos a lot like the BD's in my garden too and they are also my latest finishers.  They'll have to come inside for the last 10 days or so, for sure.

Yeah it's way too late for my liking. Even if it finishes ok I'll probably never grow it again.

• Vintage 1

Been following this topic religiously being a first timer. Seeing a lot of mention of bud rot and am now starting to get anxious that maybe I should harvest soon. The pic below is my ripest one with the other 3 I would guess a week or two behind. All purple Kush. Any experts care to weigh in on whether it looks ready? I’ve looked at the trichs under magnification and to my amateur eye, they still seem mostly clear so I’m thinking it may be a little too soon. No sign of any rot so far. I think anyway. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2b4d3f5b7eb616e2c99d87a3f25dee7f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, zapperman said:

Been following this topic religiously being a first timer. Seeing a lot of mention of bud rot and am now starting to get anxious that maybe I should harvest soon. The pic below is my ripest one with the other 3 I would guess a week or two behind. All purple Kush. Any experts care to weigh in on whether it looks ready? I’ve looked at the trichs under magnification and to my amateur eye, they still seem mostly clear so I’m thinking it may be a little too soon. No sign of any rot so far. I think anyway. 

Beauty!!!!

In my opinion, in a best case scenario it could go a bit longer, bit you're definitely in the ballpark of harvest time.  Still some white hairs for sure, but seeing a fair bit of brown as well.  I'd be flushing and getting ready to bring it in

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, zapperman said:

Looks good. I'd leave it out for another week or so if you can, but if it starts getting any mold/rot just take it.

75% red hairs is the old school way

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice @stawns and @luckylager . Much appreciated. That works out well since I cut my runty one down last week and it gives me time to practice this whole trimming thing on it before I have to tackle these monsters. Hope I get a good system going. Saw last night on the news why I couldn’t find any Mason jars in town. Lol. Figures. Went and bought a few snap/ clamp ones and will just have to make do with tons of mismatches. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, zapperman said:

Thanks for the advice @stawns and @luckylager . Much appreciated. That works out well since I cut my runty one down last week and it gives me time to practice this whole trimming thing on it before I have to tackle these monsters. Hope I get a good system going. Saw last night on the news why I couldn’t find any Mason jars in town. Lol. Figures. Went and bought a few snap/ clamp ones and will just have to make do with tons of mismatches. 

I highly recommend Boveda Two-Way Humidity packs to put in your jars.  They make a huge difference in the cure and long term storage.  

https://www.amazon.ca/Boveda-Humidipak-Medium-Humidity-Control/dp/B00JV27MF4

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Interesting development. 

Stawns and I were talking about "Ice flush" a while back and on Monday I had a bit of an epiphany - why not try to "ice finish" outdoor plants. Basically I wanted to try to shock them into finishing so I decided to grab a couple 5lb bags of ice Monday after work and drop them at the stalk/rootball.

I put bag on the giant GK and one on the blue dream.

Well, it seemed to have actually done something!

The GK's top colas have changed colour, packed on some crystal and aged pretty rapidly. On Monday they were at about 10% red hair with mostly cloudy trichs but still a bunch of clear. Today we're now at 50% red, all cloudy trichs with a touch of amber!

That's like a week in two days! 

The blue dream has fattened up a bit but unfortunately the branches are all falling down/over. Long term isn't looking great for this girl. Such is life. 

Icing had a positive result on the big GK, but not so much on the BD (which was way behind anyways)

The pic sucks because this cola is a solid 8'6 high and I only have a small stool in the greenhouse, which is fine for bending it down and inspecting, but not great for pics - at least you can kinda see red hair and lotsa crystal!

20201007_155154.jpg

I'll try to clean out some leaf and snap a better shot tomorrow morning.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, luckylager said:

Interesting development. 

Stawns and I were talking about "Ice flush" a while back and on Monday I had a bit of an epiphany - why not try to "ice finish" outdoor plants. Basically I wanted to try to shock them into finishing so I decided to grab a couple 5lb bags of ice Monday after work and drop them at the stalk/rootball.

I put bag on the giant GK and one on the blue dream.

Well, it seemed to have actually done something!

The GK's top colas have changed colour, packed on some crystal and aged pretty rapidly. On Monday they were at about 10% red hair with mostly cloudy trichs but still a bunch of clear. Today we're now at 50% red, all cloudy trichs with a touch of amber!

That's like a week in two days! 

The blue dream has fattened up a bit but unfortunately the branches are all falling down/over. Long term isn't looking great for this girl. Such is life. 

Icing had a positive result on the big GK, but not so much on the BD (which was way behind anyways)

The pic sucks because this cola is a solid 8'6 high and I only have a small stool in the greenhouse, which is fine for bending it down and inspecting, but not great for pics - at least you can kinda see red hair and lotsa crystal!

20201007_155154.jpg

I'll try to clean out some leaf and snap a better shot tomorrow morning.

Interesting move

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Interesting move

Bit of a shot in the dark really. I just got to thinking about the natural process, why they produce THC and why/when they start to die and subsequently "finish".

The ice flush wisdom had a part to play in it so I thought I may as well experiment a bit, especially with two plants that have different problems.

GK just needs to finish before the stem rot drives me insane. I'm out there scrubbing and binding wounds like a damn weed nurse before getting the kids ready for school and then myself to work.

The BD looks like it just won't finish properly outdoors.

So why not? The big GK would only be 10ish days early no matter what and the BD is already written off as a waste of time and effort. So it was kind of a win/win proposition IMO.

Depending on how the next few days go with the big GK, I might ice the FIM GK.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

Bit of a shot in the dark really. I just got to thinking about the natural process, why they produce THC and why/when they start to die and subsequently "finish".

The ice flush wisdom had a part to play in it so I thought I may as well experiment a bit, especially with two plants that have different problems.

GK just needs to finish before the stem rot drives me insane. I'm out there scrubbing and binding wounds like a damn weed nurse before getting the kids ready for school and then myself to work.

The BD looks like it just won't finish properly outdoors.

So why not? The big GK would only be 10ish days early no matter what and the BD is already written off as a waste of time and effort. So it was kind of a win/win proposition IMO.

Depending on how the next few days go with the big GK, I might ice the FIM GK.

I honestly had never heard of the ice flush, I might try that.  One of the things I love about growing is all the strange out of the box ideas you try when faced with a problem.  We definitely had a few cases of "hey, why don't we try this" this summer.

We've been so lucky with weather this late summer/early fall.  Last year it rained all September and then freezing at the beginning of October.  We had a decent amount of bud rot last year, but not even a hint of it this season.  The weather turns tomorrow with rain all day Saturday and then down into the low teens as day time highs and 4-6 at night.  I think we're going to bring them in on Saturday under the lights.  I have some viparspectra lights from before, but just bought some spiderfsrmer this week........we'll finish under those!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:16 PM, luckylager said:

Grapefruit Kush that I FIM'd early and didn't really do any leaf pruning to, just removed lower branches.

It's definitely in the best shape/healthiest and resisting the mildew and mold better than the others. Massive cola growth, but I figure it's still minimum 14 days out, just starting to show the odd red hair.. so I'm not holding my breath.

Nice pictures and some healthy looking plants.  It sucks to be two weeks out this late in October, but that's what we get here on the wet coast.  My greenhouse is also made from sliding door glass, but without the metal frames.  Is it a mistake to glass in the roof (which is what we've done?)

I had to pull the plug on my Blackberry Platinums, they were getting hit very hard by bud rot.  I think a lot of this has to do with how bushy their colas are.  The Ortega has been much more mould resistant, but I found bud rot on one branch so I cut it off and processed it today.  A very nice sticky fat cola that the rot hadn't touched and another load of trim for the oven.

Here's my favourite edible recipe.  A friend memorised it and brought it from Morocco almost 40 years ago.  Another friend wrote it down and I typed it up a month ago or so.  There are many local variations, one of the more common calls for porcupine meat:

Madjoon

1/2 cup sesame seeds (white) - dry over medium heat
1 handful caraway seeds
remove stems from 1 handful anise seeds
add anise seeds and 2tbsp honey
heat and mix briefly

Crush and strain (or use ground)
20 cloves (1tbsp)
6 nutmegs (2tbs)
enough ginger to make 1 generous handful when passed through a _________ or 1 med handful ground ginger
add to frying pan and mix then add 1 handful cinnamon and 1/2 lb walnuts

Warm 3/4 lb raisins over med heat.  Add to mixture and heat on high for 10 min
spread out on large surface.

Take hemp leaves prepared as follows:
- dry in warm oven (de-carboxylating temps)
- when dry, crumble them up and pass them through a fine sieve.  This is a fair bit of effort but well worth it.

Take 2 tbsp of hemp powder and sprinkle over the spread mix, then drizzle 2tbsp honey over it.  Repeat 3-4 times (this is my addition - original recipe says 'until you run out of weed' - modify to your taste, of course).
Let this sit for 15 minutes then mix well using a spatula.  If it's too stiff, heat it to get it to mix.  In any case later return to fry pan and heat on medium until consistency of stiff jam.

Divide it into serving sizes before it cools or it might get too stiff.  If done right and all moisture is removed, it could last up to 5 years.  It may need warming before serving if too stiff.  

If you eat too much, have the following hot beverage:

1c hot water.
Juice from 1 lemon
1tbsp sugar or honey
a few grains of salt.

Edited by RogersTowell

12 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Nice pictures and some healthy looking plants.  It sucks to be two weeks out this late in October, but that's what we get here on the wet coast.  My greenhouse is also made from sliding door glass, but without the metal frames.  Is it a mistake to glass in the roof (which is what we've done?)

I had to pull the plug on my Blackberry Platinums, they were getting hit very hard by bud rot.  I think a lot of this has to do with how bushy their colas are.  The Ortega has been much more mould resistant, but I found bud rot on one branch so I cut it off and processed it today.  A very nice sticky fat cola that the rot hadn't touched and another load of trim for the oven.

Here's my favourite edible recipe.  A friend memorised it and brought it from Morocco almost 40 years ago.  Another friend wrote it down and I typed it up a month ago or so.  There are many local variations, one of the more common calls for porcupine meat:

Madjoon

1/2 cup sesame seeds (white) - dry over medium heat
1 handful caraway seeds
remove stems from 1 handful anise seeds
add anise seeds and 2tbsp honey
heat and mix briefly

Crush and strain (or use ground)
20 cloves (1tbsp)
6 nutmegs (2tbs)
enough ginger to make 1 generous handful when passed through a _________ or 1 med handful ground ginger
add to frying pan and mix then add 1 handful cinnamon and 1/2 lb walnuts

Warm 3/4 lb raisins over med heat.  Add to mixture and heat on high for 10 min
spread out on large surface.

Take hemp leaves prepared as follows:
- dry in warm oven (de-carboxylating temps)
- when dry, crumble them up and pass them through a fine sieve.  This is a fair bit of effort but well worth it.

Take 2 tbsp of hemp powder and sprinkle over the spread mix, then drizzle 2tbsp honey over it.  Repeat 3-4 times.
Let this sit for 15 minutes then mix well using a spatula.  If it's too stiff, heat it to get it to mix.  In any case later return to fry pan and heat on medium until consistency of stiff jam.

Divide it into serving sizes before it cools or it might get too stiff.  If done right and all moisture is removed, it could last up to 5 years.  It may need warming before serving if too stiff.  

If you eat too much, have the following hot beverage:

1c hot water.
Juice from 1 lemon
1tbsp sugar or honey
a few grains of salt.

Wow, that's a rather complex recipe! I just make concentrates, budder or infused oils and use them in more conventional western foods.

As far as the greenhouse goes, glass is best for light transmission but can cause some odd focus/burn spots. The big thing is airflow. Gotta maximize airflow.

I just used 6mm poly for the roof because it's cheap, lightweight, easy to repair and diffuses light instead of focusing it. The main structure is solid as &^@# (8" sonotubes set 30" deep for the 4 4x4 posts, cleated with perimeter 4x4's carriage bolted to the posts at ground level). Would definitely support a glass roof (which I may do some day) but more than likely I'll just use some corrugated plexi when I need to redo the roof entirely. 

• Like 1

Took four of these -20201014_212630.thumb.jpg.e773ff9fc1df177418c00093eb2afe86.jpg

Big ass colas off the GK bush two nights ago. It's been raining for a week, trichs were all milky and I'm not about to roll the dice with the A1's this time of year.

Cleaned up the rest of it today

20201016_112517.thumb.jpg.0ae1e5c6d120c816eb7beb26f0c2db9f.jpg

Here's what's left (missing 4 big ass colas)

20201016_142441.thumb.jpg.f126c7dd70f8592a910f3d343f123976.jpg

Considering how wet it's been here for the last week or more I was lucky to find only a few moldy buds... and they were on lower branches, which is absolutely mindblowing!

impressive stuff, we would like to try a couple plants next year...Do you start them indoors in spring and then move them outside when it gets warm enough? Also, how hard is it to extract the THC from the marijuana? As I prefer taking oil or an edible to get me into that relaxed state, not opposed to smoking but the last outdoor stuff I got was quite weak, smoke a whole joint and feel nothing and I am by no means a pot head. I like how it relaxes me at night and helps me sleep.

1 of you does this in the Okanagan I think, vernon area I think...Do you just grow for yourself or do any of you have a license to sell?

On 10/19/2020 at 10:57 AM, Canuckster86 said:

impressive stuff, we would like to try a couple plants next year...Do you start them indoors in spring and then move them outside when it gets warm enough? Also, how hard is it to extract the THC from the marijuana? As I prefer taking oil or an edible to get me into that relaxed state, not opposed to smoking but the last outdoor stuff I got was quite weak, smoke a whole joint and feel nothing and I am by no means a pot head. I like how it relaxes me at night and helps me sleep.

1 of you does this in the Okanagan I think, vernon area I think...Do you just grow for yourself or do any of you have a license to sell?

Canuckster, you’ll get a lot more experienced responses than me, but just so you know, you can do it. I was a first timer this year and planted 5 seeds. All successful and 3 of 5 now harvested with more than I know what to do with already. Germinate a few days in spring, planted in solo cups then moved outside when they were ready. Nothing fancy on my end for soil or nutrients, water when needed. You can do tons with your soil or training of your plants, all up to you. I did little and had pretty good success. You have a lot of time to read up on it over the winter but in the end it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it. It’s a pretty fun and rewarding hobby 

• Cheers 1

impressive stuff, we would like to try a couple plants next year...Do you start them indoors in spring and then move them outside when it gets warm enough?

Pretty much. 

Also, how hard is it to extract the THC from the marijuana? As I prefer taking oil or an edible to get me into that relaxed state, not opposed to smoking but the last outdoor stuff I got was quite weak, smoke a whole joint and feel nothing and I am by no means a pot head. I like how it relaxes me at night and helps me sleep.

Oils are super easy to make.

@stawns

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, luckylager said:

For cannabis or seeds?

both i suppose, seeds more early next year i guess to start indoors? I prefer oil or edibles, been to 1 place on the reserve close to Vernon and that stuff was decent, almost out tho and need more by early next week

• Cheers 1