The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Journalist Gloats Over Jordan Peterson's Troubles

Timbermen

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I would argue instead that both Jimmy and others who disagree with him and decide not to engage and debate constructively are both to blame to a degree, and both their actions are distasteful in a sense. 

You could be right. Our method is certainly not the most constructive if one is looking for in depth and meaningful conversation. At the same time, I don’t think any of us are looking for exactly that. I won’t speak for the group, but I can say that until he walks back his comments, I have absolutely no interest in anything Jimmy says, as they crossed an imaginary line.

2 wrongs certainly don’t make a right, but let’s not equate an online emote to a distasteful, personal comment about addiction and suffering. 

With that said, I will commend you for our dialogue as I had no interest in weaving into this subject beforehand, but find our conversation productive, even if we have differences of opinion.

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's a fellow human being with the same capacity for good or evil, flaws and merits as the rest of us.

Most definitely which is why I gave him my condolences regarding the tragedy of losing his wife. I just don't believe that his drug problem is worthy of my empathy based on his own words. 

Edited by Toews

1 minute ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

You could be right. Our method is certainly not the most constructive if one is looking for in depth and meaningful conversation. At the same time, I don’t think any of us are looking for exactly that. I won’t speak for the group, but I can say that until he walks back his comments, I have absolutely no interest in anything Jimmy says, as they crossed an imaginary line.

2 wrongs certainly don’t make a right, but let’s not equate an online emote to a distasteful, personal comment about addiction and suffering. 

With that said, I will commend you for our dialogue as I had no interest in weaving into this subject beforehand, but find our conversation productive, even if we have differences of opinion.

Fantastic, now we're making headway in a more meaningful and enjoyable way. 

And here's the rub, what good do we do in society if we never engage with those we disagree with? Isn't that exactly the tactic that SJWs wrongly exercise as well? Shutting down conversation with those we disagree with? It's the same outcome only with different tactics used to achieve the outcome, no? 

Now, we're still waiting to hear from Jimmy again on the issue, but I said before, I'm betting he probably has changed his tune a little after reading everything that has transpired since he last posted. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

a shameless self promoter and inciter of many extreist followers, who harrass, abuse and threaten people they disagree with.........all while being slimy enough to evade the blame himself?  yeah, super guy

Not only is that an ill-informed opinion on him, but I'll ask you the same question: 

Does your dislike for him make it right to celebrate his personal hardships?

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I appreciate the kind words. I'm also very interested in free speech and how everyone wants it, promotes it, but often do not know how to exercise it in a constructive and/or productive way. Honestly, it's also just way more fun to use the dialectic in discussions rather than talking over each other, or insulting other opinions either overtly or covertly, etc. It always ends up going nowhere and creates a large divide whereas taking things through often ends up with a positive result. 

Absolutely. Now everyone has an opinion without ever having to be accountable as to why they have that opinion. If they're ever challenged on it they often end up doing whatever it takes to shut down the challenger.

This is why I asked, The Trial and Death of Socrates, anyone? 

For those who haven't read it, it's one of two readings that have drastically and instantly changed my life. Here's the Coles Notes.

In it, an oracle says that Socrates is the wisest man of them all. Socrates thinks to himself that surely there are men wiser than he, so he begins to walk around Athens to find these wiser men. He subsequently asks them questions such as 'what is justice', and with each answer he's given he then asks another question to dig deeper, as he can see there is more to it than the answer given. So he gets more answers, and he gives more questions, and gets more answers, etc., to the point where people reach an end to their beliefs and they realize that they don't actually know as much about the question that they thought they knew. 

Socrates is then charged with corrupting the people/youth of Athens because they get annoyed with him for showing each of them that they don't know as much as they think they do, that their opinions are untenable. He is sentenced to either leave Athens and stop philosophizing or drink hemlock and die. His response is "The unexamined life is not worth living", so he drinks the hemlock and dies.

This story is thousands of years old, yet here we are with a bunch of opinions on very important issues in society and there are hardly any Socrates around who want to actually practice the true dialectic to get to the truth of issues rather than just sit on untenable opinions. Ok, so Jimmy has an opinion on JP that most of us disagree with. So let's talk to him like he's willing to talk to us. Or, let's discuss JP, SJWs, Cherry, Trump, the journalist, etc., in a way that continues to dig deeper into the root issues rather than stay silent, or use emojis to express ourselves (which doesn't really add much), or shout, or hit ignore, you get the idea. 

Why do people have to be so married to their opinions? Why can't instead the search for truth be the end goal? 

So you're implying that Trump is Socrates because he drank bleach?  I Jest. that was an inciteful post and Socrates should be an abject lesson to all of us. Cheers.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Toews said:

I don't believe an intellectual like Peterson was unaware of the risks of prescription medication. This left him with a choice, take the drugs or not to take the drugs. This is what Peterson has always advocated for, personal accountability. Why should we not hold JP to the standard that he himself advocates instead of casting blame on his doctor?

He will have to focus on this rule of his before he gets back out there.

Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world

..and this one of course...

Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

a shameless self promoter and inciter of many extreist followers, who harrass, abuse and threaten people they disagree with.........all while being slimy enough to evade the blame himself?  yeah, super guy

That sounds exactly like those indoctrinated SJW students at McGill University. Also, aren't you discribimg the marxist professor that jump out wielding bike locks at student rallies? It sounds like you're describing Antifa, a known terrorist organization. They aren't much better than the KKK, both of them are why Centrists exist. Both are examples of exteme ideology's on the left and right, Antifa((MarxismIfTheyWereHonoust)/Fascism

• Cheers 1

I was looking for that ANTIFA video a while back, to post on a different thread.

"Protesters" bringing a shank to an event to harm people that had a differing opinion to them.  Yeah, real peaceful guys...

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Most definitely which is why I gave him my condolences regarding the tragedy of losing his wife. I just don't believe that his drug problem is worthy of my empathy based on his own words. 

IMO that's a sad, un-nuanced, oversimplified and rather black and white lens to view and judge other people. Also rather glass house.

Agree to disagree.

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

That sounds exactly like those indoctrinated SJW students at McGill University. Also, aren't you discribimg the marxist professor that jump out wielding bike locks at student rallies? It sounds like you're describing Antifa, a known terrorist organization. They aren't much better than the KKK, both of them are why Centrists exist. Both are examples of exteme ideology's on the left and right, Antifa((MarxismIfTheyWereHonoust)/Fascism

While antifa has its issues, the KKK has actually killed people in the name of racial purity and superiority. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/this-day-in-history/the-kkk-kills-three-civil-rights-activists

1 hour ago, Timbermen said:

Thanks, I can't watch 30mins of videos.

But I wasn't really asking any questions.

Here I'll use someone else's word too, to describe them.

antifa (pronounced ahn-TEE-fah or anty-fah) is nothing like those terrorist groups. It is not a unified organization, but rather a loose ideological label for a subset of left-wing radicals who believe in using street-level force to prevent the rise of what they see as fascist movements. It is a kind of anarchist alternative to the police that originally took root in America’s punk scene, without any kind of national command and control structure.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/6/8/21277320/antifa-anti-fascist-explained

They are not an organisation as such. I fear a day when anti-fascists, which should be a good term, or SJW's are blanket labelled terrorists.

Speaking of real terrorist groups, I haven't much of those radical Islamics that were taking over the world during the last election cycle for a while. I wonder if that will become a talking point again, or maybe DT will just start a war with Iran... that should get those that love to consume the product of fear all lathered up

Edited by bishopshodan

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While antifa has its issues, the KKK has actually killed people in the name of racial purity and superiority. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/this-day-in-history/the-kkk-kills-three-civil-rights-activists

Not good, i agree. One is fuelled by racism and the other is a communist revolution. Extreme fascism showed us what it was with the Nazi's, not good.  Ben Shapiro is not trying to bring it back. Antifa has incited violence, much like the fascist brownshirts when the Nazi's took power. Thats where they miss the point, they themselves are being fascists by silencing any kind of opposing voice like Ben Shapiro,,... You have to be out of your mind to call him a Nazi.... They do and they brought weapons to his rally and incited violence, not a smart group of revolutionaries.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks, I can't watch 30mins of videos.

But I wasn't really asking any questions.

Here I'll use someone else's word too, to describe them.

antifa (pronounced ahn-TEE-fah or anty-fah) is nothing like those terrorist groups. It is not a unified organization, but rather a loose ideological label for a subset of left-wing radicals who believe in using street-level force to prevent the rise of what they see as fascist movements. It is a kind of anarchist alternative to the police that originally took root in America’s punk scene, without any kind of national command and control structure.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/6/8/21277320/antifa-anti-fascist-explained

They are not an organisation as such. I fear a day when anti-facists, which should be a good term, or SJW's are blanket labelled terrorists.

Speaking of real terrorist groups, I haven't much of those radical Islamics that were taking over the world during the last election cycle for a while. I wonder if that will become a talking point again, or maybe DT will just start a war with Iran... that should get those that love to consume the product of fear all lathered up

I think hes itching for a war with them. I see some on twitter backing this as wanting the Pahlavi dynasty back in power. Similar to 1979 theyll (Iran) probably just replace one dictator with another imo. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Shall we get into a discussion of free will now? 

Ok, I'll stop :lol:

If I get into a discussion with you on free will; would that be because I wanted to, or because you prodded me?:unsure:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

If I get into a discussion with you on free will; would that be because I wanted to, or because you prodded me?:unsure:

Well, if I didn't bring it up would you have "chosen" to think of free will on your own and thought of discussing it in relation to JPs addiction, or was your possible involvement in a discussion determined on my bringing it up in the first place? :P

I almost created an entire thread once on free will and its importance, because I see lots of opinions on CDC that could possibly be updated were people to know more about it and its implications, but I never did end up making it. But it's still a very interesting debate/discussion, as it's still very pertinent within our society in many ways, such as how many view addiction, or criminals, for example.

• Upvote 1