The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Journalist Gloats Over Jordan Peterson's Troubles

Timbermen

2 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I haven't really seen anyone shamed for the amount of sex they have.  It could just be where I'm from, and who I hang around with.

I worked nightclubs in Van for 15 years. Stayed as a director with the group until last year (25 years). One of the top entertainment companies in Canada. 

I was also a touring musician for years. I have been in more clubs and pubs than most people. I have seen how woman and men act in their nighttime activities. My experiences have been that I have never seen a male shamed for the amount of sex they get. Women, not so much. In fact I have witnessed on many occasions, if a woman has sex with more than one member in a group of friends they get a stigma.

Obviously not what you have experienced but I assure you this was the case for me.

One of my friends, a woman, once had sex with two males at the same time at a party. We both worked at the same club. She was laughing when she first told me, didn't care. Within a few weeks she had quit. People were talking and she was brought to tears. 

I know, just one story and its' only my pov. 

I understand that nightclubs arn't the main option anymore...I think Tinder and the like have done wonders for people to meet. Actually those apps hurt nightclub businesses....some clubs used to be called 'meat markets'...you know a place to go find those sluts. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

His awesome personality?

In all seriousness though, while some women do exclusively date rich, powerful and attractive men (regardless of those men's deficiencies); that's obviously not the case for all women; otherwise we would indeed live in the world Percivall fears where elite men would sleep on piles of attractive women like Smaug's hoard and the regular Joe's would be SOL.

I think part of the issue is the ratio of men to women in the world. The world average is 1.05, now that doesn't sound like a lot, but that's 50,000 more men for ever 1,000,000, that is a lot.

Men used to die in wars and such, and it was easier to find a partner. Now more than ever in our history the mating balance has shifted in the woman's favour, it's never been like this, and it's recent, this isn't a 100 or 200 years ago thing, this is very recent.

7 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

His awesome personality?

In all seriousness though, while some women do exclusively date rich, powerful and attractive men (regardless of those men's deficiencies); that's obviously not the case for all women; otherwise we would indeed live in the world Percivall fears where elite men would sleep on piles of attractive women like Smaug's hoard and the regular Joe's would be SOL.

no, no, no.  Let Tony Montana tell you how it REALLY works!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I worked nightclubs in Van for 15 years. Stayed as a director with the group until last year (25 years). One of the top entertainment companies in Canada. 

I was also a touring musician for years. I have been in more clubs and pubs than most people. I have seen how woman and men act in their nighttime activities. My experiences have been that I have never seen a male shamed for the amount of sex they get. Women, not so much. In fact I have witnessed on many occasions, if a woman has sex with more than one member in a group of friends they get a stigma.

Obviously not what you have experienced but I assure you this was the case for me.

One of my friends, a woman, once had sex with two males at the same time at a party. We both worked at the same club. She was laughing when she first told me, didn't care. Within a few weeks she had quit. People were talking and she was brought to tears. 

I know, just one story and its' only my pov. 

I understand that nightclubs arn't the main option anymore...I think Tinder and the like have done wonders for people to meet. Actually those apps hurt nightclub businesses....some clubs used to be called 'meat markets'...you know a place to go find those sluts. 

Whenever we go to clubs to pick up girls we never really think of how many previous people they've slept with.  There's been instances where someone would point a girl and tell us his interests, and someone will say how she gets around.  Just about every time, the guys shrugs it off and goes after her.  If the guy backs off, it's probably because he's worried of STI's.  I don't know one guy who would turn a girl away from being a "slut", unless she's known to have STD's or is stinky :lol: .  Same with girls, most wouldn't care if a guy has 20 kills, as long as he's clean and isn't musty.

49 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Enforced monogamy by society to help fix the problem of Incels?

Sounds like we are going back in time to me. 

What if we encouraged women to enjoy sex more as a society?

It's still 'Stud' if you are a man, 'Slut' if you are a women.

'Enforced' by societal norms. It's not nearly as dramatic as it's being made out. We enforce all sorts of things with societal norms.

And for the record, Peterson's view seems to be more that monogamy is better for men, women, families and society as a whole. He's not making an 'it's ok for men but not women' argument.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm paraphrasing but that's what he seems to profess. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/style/jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life.html

Not the best paraphrasing on your part. As Jester pointed out, I don't think you've taken the time to fully understand his point. I'd add that I don't think you want to.

But regardless, I'll ask you the same question:

Does your dislike for him make it right to celebrate his personal struggles?

That is ultimately what the thread was created for.

Are you seriously under the impression that I've referred to Peterwise using multiple incorrect names out of ignorance? 

Giving silly little nicknames doesn't help your argument.

Just now, BoKnows said:

Whenever we go to clubs to pick up girls we never really think of how many previous people they've slept with.  There's been instances where someone would point a girl and tell us his interests, and someone will say how she gets around.  Just about every time, the guys shrugs it off and goes after her.  If the guy backs off, it's probably because he's worried of STI's.  I don't know one guy who would turn a girl away from being a "slut", unless she's known to have STD's or is stinky :lol: .  Same with girls, most wouldn't care if a guy has 20 kills, as long as he's clean and isn't musty.

Musty used to be an attractive smell

Whaat's wrong with you youngsters!?!..wait no that was Musk, nm.

My nephews... all 10 of them...range from ages 3-30, keep me up to speed with the interactions of all young ages. 

I agree with most you have said, it is getting better in a way. Tell your friends I am happy they are setting a better example. Still I find if a girl gets some kills within the same group of friends, she will have a lousier rep than if she was male. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Not the best paraphrasing on your part. As Jester pointed out, I don't think you've taken the time to fully understand his point. I'd add that I don't think you want to.

I've discussed my qualms with his philosophy on monogamy numerous times within the last three pages of this thread. 

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Does your dislike for him make it right to celebrate his personal struggles?

Here's the thing: I don't care about Pettever enough to take joy in his personal struggles. Make sense?

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That is ultimately what the thread was created for.

Where was this energy during the Marxism debate?

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Giving silly little nicknames doesn't help your argument.

They're not silly. They just happen to be surnames, i.e. proper nouns, which aren't his. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Musty used to be an attractive smell

Whaat's wrong with you youngsters!?!..wait no that was Musk, nm.

My nephews... all 10 of them...range from ages 3-30, keep me up to speed with the interactions of all young ages. 

I agree with most you have said, it is getting better in a way. Tell your friends I am happy they are setting a better example. Still I find if a girl gets some kills within the same group of friends, she will have a lousier rep than if she was male. 

Yup, progress has been made.  We still have some ways to go.  It has to more normalized in mainstream media.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I've expressed my issues with Penston's ideas to you multiple times. You're either not understanding what I'm saying, choosing to ignore it, or don't have a rebuttal for them.

And again you fail to actually express anything.

Frankly I don't think you've bothered to even fully understand his point to express what it is you take issue with. Instead you prefer to regurgitate out of context tweets and memes from hit pieces and project your own biased thoughts and emotions on things he's said. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

And again you fail to actually express anything.

Frankly I don't think you've bothered to even fully understand his point to express what it is you take issue with. Instead you prefer to regurgitate out of context tweets and memes from hit pieces and project your own biased thoughts and emotions on things he's said. 

What tweets? What memes? The only thing I've quoted in this thread is an article from the New York Times. 

Again, I watched the video (WHICH YOU POSTED, LOL) and gave my thoughts on why I disagreed with his ideas. 

What tweets? What memes? The only thing I've quoted in this thread is an article from the New York Times. 

That would be the hit piece.

Again, I watched the video (WHICH YOU POSTED, LOL) and gave my thoughts on why I disagreed with his ideas. 

The one were you still didn't grasp his point and then projected a bunch of your own, biased thoughts and emotions to what he said?

Just now, aGENT said:

That would be the hit piece.

Which was neither a tweet nor a meme, so you'll have to forgive my confusion. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The one were you still didn't grasp his point and then projected a bunch of your own, biased thoughts and emotions to what he said?

No, I completely understood his point and I fundamentally rejected his premise while also including some thoughts of my own on where I believe his ideas came from. Do you feel personally attacked because I watched the video and still disagree with your boy?

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I've discussed my qualms with his philosophy on monogamy numerous times within the last three pages of this thread. 

Here's the thing: I don't care about Pettever enough to take joy in his personal struggles. Make sense?

Where was this energy during the Marxism debate?

They're not silly. They just happen to be surnames, i.e. proper nouns, which aren't his. 

You're using compelled speech. 

I'm doing the opposite.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Funny you'd post a New York times article as thats one of their editors/writers they were making fun of, page 1, second vid. They aren't a good publication, They are a lazy dog whistling publication, Like in the first video, she points out that Beyerstein had obviously never read the book she was quoting passages from, Just going off of loose generalizations and forgetting that he thinks like a clinical psychologist. He gets his words misconstrued a lot. I don't agree with everything but don't like to see peoples ideas misrepresented either.

• Haha 1