The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 years ago in a parallel universe far away

Rate this topic

EP40.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

'82 when they had a paved road to the finals where they didn't win a single game? :lol:

82 where they did what nobody in the hockey world thought they could do and went down swinging while doing it.  82 where even after getting swept our goalie still had the best save percentage in the whole league for the playoffs.  82 where we even went down swinging against the refs themselves, with the coach and several players getting game misconducts for vocal protest, the whole reason there are towels around the NHL now in the playoffs.  82 where we didn't have a single player with 90 points for the season or even in Canucks history, but went through a team with Kent Nilsson (130 point player), then a team with Marcel Dionne (130 point player), then a team with Denis Savard (130 point player) and didn't just defeat but owned all three teams.  And we did so with our two best offensive defensemen (Lanz and McCarthy) missing every single game of the playoffs.  No whining about Hamhuis getting hurt with five games left.  Both of our Ehrhoffs missed the ENTIRE playoffs and we still got to the final and only lost when we ran into the team that also swept Wayne Gretzky's Oilers the very next year, and more decisively than they did us.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

82 where they did what nobody in the hockey world thought they could do and went down swinging while doing it.  82 where even after getting swept our goalie still had the best save percentage in the whole league for the playoffs.  82 where we even went down swinging against the refs themselves, with the coach and several players getting game misconducts for vocal protest, the whole reason there are towels around the NHL now in the playoffs.  82 where we didn't have a single player with 90 points for the season or even in Canucks history, but went through a team with Kent Nilsson (130 point player), then a team with Marcel Dionne (130 point player), then a team with Denis Savard (130 point player) and didn't just defeat but owned all three teams.  And we did so without our two best offensive defensemen (Lanz and McCarthy) missing every single game of the playoffs.  No whining about Hamhuis getting hurt with five games left.  Both of our Ehrhoffs missed the ENTIRE playoffs and we still got to the final and only lost when we ran into the team that also swept Wayne Gretzky's Oilers the very next year, and more decisively than they did us.

Roger Neilson was a master at defensive systems to the point I think Jacques Lemaire has orgasms watching those game films.:lol:  But even Napoleon (Neilson) met his Waterloo (Wellesley aka Al Arbour this time WITH the Prussian army).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Roger Neilson was a master at defensive systems to the point I think Jacques Lemaire has orgasms watching those game films.:lol:  But even Napoleon (Neilson) met his Waterloo (Wellesley aka Al Arbour this time WITH the Prussian army).

Yep, Canucks were like Leonidas in 300.  Sure, they didn't win, but they were nobody's punk.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yep, Canucks were like Leonidas in 300.  Sure, they didn't win, but they were nobody's punk.

There's an old urban legend story where earlier that season, a group of the Canucks were going out for dinner (I forget whether it was before or after the game) in Chicago.  They unfortunately were walking in the 'wrong neighborhood' and were jumped by a gang of individuals who were out for no good.  Unfortunately for the gang, the group of Canucks were Curt Fraser, Stan Smyl, Ron Delorme, etc (you get the picture). :lol:

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

82 where they did what nobody in the hockey world thought they could do and went down swinging while doing it.  82 where even after getting swept our goalie still had the best save percentage in the whole league for the playoffs.  82 where we even went down swinging against the refs themselves, with the coach and several players getting game misconducts for vocal protest, the whole reason there are towels around the NHL now in the playoffs.  82 where we didn't have a single player with 90 points for the season or even in Canucks history, but went through a team with Kent Nilsson (130 point player), then a team with Marcel Dionne (130 point player), then a team with Denis Savard (130 point player) and didn't just defeat but owned all three teams.  And we did so with our two best offensive defensemen (Lanz and McCarthy) missing every single game of the playoffs.  No whining about Hamhuis getting hurt with five games left.  Both of our Ehrhoffs missed the ENTIRE playoffs and we still got to the final and only lost when we ran into the team that also swept Wayne Gretzky's Oilers the very next year, and more decisively than they did us.

Were you around in and old enough to realize what happened in '82? I was an adult with two kids at the time. No they weren't expected to be in the final, the Oilers were hands down favorites to take the west, plus the favored to win the cup. The Canucks finished 4th in the west that year with 75 points. Sure those two were great player but they weren't great TEAMS. First through third were all eliminated by other teams. The Nucks played 5th (75 pts), then 8th (63 pts), and finally 6th (72 pts) to get to the final. Not exactly a miracle run where they played above their heads and upset better teams to get there. I was an adult at the time and fully aware of the door that opened when the top three western teams - Oilers (111 pts), North Stars (94 pts), & Jets (80 pts) - were all upset in the first round by other teams. The door was wide open as the teams left were all comparable and beatable with LA being the weakest at 12 points behind us in the standings. I give them full credit for playing well but it wasn't a monumental achievement of upsetting better teams. The played a couple of good games in New York but the Isles just took over in the two games here.

Losing McCarthy just before the playoffs was a blow but Lanz missed more than half the season before the playoffs. One player injured doesn't compare to the laundry list the 2012 team had for the finals.Edler broken fingers, Ehrhoff shoulder, Hamhuis groin, Bieska bruised acl plus Rome suspended. Five of six of our d-men and that doesn't include the forward laundry list so don't bother going there with injuries.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:21 AM, BowtieCanuck said:

I think the thing that hurts most about 2011 is whats happened since. We have barely even made into the playoffs and when we have we got beat. Its gunna hurt a lot less once this core wins a playoff series (at the very least).

I swear we won a presidents trophy the year after.. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2020 at 4:17 PM, EP40. said:

Pain. Even to this day.

Don’t go there or even think about 2011.  That’s the best advice that I can offer.

Be thankful that we had a tremendous run, and be thankful that we are on the rise again.

Don’t look back on “what if’s” whether it’s with the Canucks, past failed relationships, untimely deaths of loved ones, or any form of tragedy no matter how severe (i.e. death of a parent, spouse, friend, etc.) or minor (I.e.  watching your team lose in the finals).

We are all soldiers in life marching towards whatever goal(s) we have in life.    Victories and defeats are inevitable and so it only makes sense to not get hung up on any one thing.

Onwards and upwards.    As it relates to the Canucks, I’m pretty confident that we will all see at least 1-3 more cups runs during our lifetime (assuming that you are aged somewhere between 18-55).  Statistical Probability works in our favor and is our friend in this case.

Edited by DarkIndianRises

That day was the most pissed off I have been in my life as a sports-fan. I hopped on the banwagon during the 2010-2011 season. At the time, I thought we were really going to win it. I actually think that the Canucks lost the cup made my fandom more intensified. Back then I was more of a guy who just watch the games, ever since the lost, I took fandom to a new level. I really want to know why we lost and how. So I end up doing a lot more research about other teams, then to contracts, draft picks, prospects etc. I gradually became an avid hockey fan who follows the league every day.

Edited by ruilin96

11 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

That day was the most pissed off I have been in my life as a sports-fan. I hopped on the banwagon during the 2010-2011 season. At the time, I thought we were really going to win it. I actually think that the Canucks lost the cup made my fandom more intensified. Back then I was more of a guy who just watch the games, ever since the lost, I took fandom to a new level. I really want to know why we lost and how. So I end up doing a lot more research about other teams, then to contracts, draft picks, prospects etc. I gradually became an avid hockey fan who follows the league every day.

My friend an I owned a limo back then we used for clubbing. We had a big game party and we’re planning on going downtown in it after the win but we were all so depressed we stayed home.

Oops, sorry, that was 1994, 2011 sucked just as bad but I was married with children, no limo and my glory days were far behind me.

What makes 2011 so painful is thinking back to the feeling after game 2.  After that storybook, OT winner from Burrows it felt like us finally lifting Lord Stanley was destiny.  Nothing was going the Bruins way and the idea that we could lose 4 of the next 5 games was beyond absurd.  Then the Rome hit happened, we got the stiffest suspension in Finals history, and the refs let Boston get away with murder for five straight games.  Anyone who says the better team won is delusional, we were screwed.

Edited by morgo
  • Thanks 1

Just recently brought myself to rewatch the first 2 periods of that game. 

The Canucks with half their lineup put up a helluva fight. We had our chances, Burrows had a glorious chance with Thomas down and out but they had a 6'9 Giant playing goalie. That goal would've tied the game at 1 with all the momentum going to the Canucks. 

Boston got all the lucky bounces. Marchand's wraparound goal. Bergeron's 3-0 goal. It was a lot closer than it looked. 

On 6/15/2020 at 4:19 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Honestly, I just don't think about it.  Game seven was terrible.  I'd rather look back on 94 and 82.

1994 is still the closest weve ever come.So many fond memories of that team, man i miss that time.