The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Karens gone wild

Rate this topic

I think the term Karen is pretty juvenile and stereotypical. I would hate to be a white woman with the name Karen, yet I am sure there are many lovely Karen's out there. So many other ways to go but it seems like society needs a #hashtag for everything. Muddles the point and makes me not care. Sort of the same with #boomers. Why insult people? #blacklivesmatter makes way more sense... RAISE your people up, instead of insulting other people and dragging others down. Using slurs like "Karen" and "Boomer" will do nothing for your cause and will actually further empower those you are insulting and give them motivation to vote for Trump in November just out of spite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

My dad divorced when I was 21 and then remarried when I was 25. But my step mother's name is Karen. And I'll tell ya, she's a real "Karen". Her anxiety, SAD's, and mental health issues are certainly no laughing matter, but I've been around people with mental health, and am now working towards my Master in Psych to know that suffering from mental health is not an excuse to be a b**ch. 

Whenever my wife sees these videos, she thinks, "Oh, that would be me if I ever stayed at home full time, not working." Thanks for the heads up!

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I think the term Karen is pretty juvenile and stereotypical. I would hate to be a white woman with the name Karen, yet I am sure there are many lovely Karen's out there. So many other ways to go but it seems like society needs a #hashtag for everything. Muddles the point and makes me not care. Sort of the same with #boomers. Why insult people? #blacklivesmatter makes way more sense... RAISE your people up, instead of insulting other people and dragging others down. Using slurs like "Karen" and "Boomer" will do nothing for your cause and will actually further empower those you are insulting and give them motivation to vote for Trump in November just out of spite.

Me and a lot of my friends are boomers and are not offended (I asked a few of them)....boomer is short for baby boomer, no biggie. Also, a couple of my friends named Karen aren't offended either, they think it's funny. People are so easily offended today....it's called 'pussification'. Ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself. The 'Karen' in my family growing up was a 'Hank' or 'Wilbur' , e.g. Don't be a Hank ! or what a Wilbur !

• Vintage 1
1 hour ago, Toews said:

https://globalnews.ca/video/6099005/racist-tirade-caught-on-camera-at-burnaby-drug-store

This one always makes me laugh.

"Shut the &^@# up!" followed by "You are rude!" 

"Go back to your country" followed by "You are rude!"

Its rare to see someone this oblivious, its almost impressive in some ways.

She's just awful.  Wouldn't it be something if one day she needed meds and only this branch was open and she had to go back and be like "sorry I was rude".
(Then again even in that situation I could still see her being entitled and demanding.  SMH)    

6 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Frankly some people are so thick skinned or unaware that hopefully (and it's wishful thinking) it would prompt some self-awareness.  As in if they understand what the term means and they have any semblance of self-reflection then they could realize "oh I'm like that" or "I have that negative trait about me" and hopefully (again don't hold your breath) they could mature.

I'm part of the millennial age bracket but I find it hilarious how so many of them are so intensely focused in on an impersonal cause, to the point that if what they are about gets mocked or made fun of in the slightest way they are quick to be up in arms.  Like, relax, it's not even about you or that serious/ important.  Agreed with the previous poster who said that people need to learn to laugh at themselves.

Edited by Phil_314
2 hours ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Me and a lot of my friends are boomers and are not offended (I asked a few of them)....boomer is short for baby boomer, no biggie. Also, a couple of my friends named Karen aren't offended either, they think it's funny. People are so easily offended today....it's called 'pussification'. Ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself. The 'Karen' in my family growing up was a 'Hank' or 'Wilbur' , e.g. Don't be a Hank ! or what a Wilbur !

So it's okay if I reply to this post with:

ZzZZzzZZ okay boomer, take a chill pill before you have a heart attack! Maybe go and feed some ducks okay boomer?

It's comments like that I see all over the place which are immature and clearly insulting. No one is using "boomer" in the same way you describe (like hank or wilbur).

The millennials probably wouldn't like it if they got a nick name, like "Lennys" (millennyal).

"I saw a lenny throwing a fit today at the grocery store. I guess they ran out of avacado toast! Poor little lenny maybe he can go cry about it on snapchat"

Again not really helpful for bridging generations and it has nothing to do with being "thick skinned". And by the way, saying people are "so easy offended today" is about the most "boomer" thing you say and would result in an "okay boomer" (rolleyes, laugh) from most kids.

Me: “People get easily offended.”

Some person: “Ok boomer.”

Me: “I mean, ok. That sure showed me. Anyway, have fun not working or ever owning a home. Life’s hard.”

Edited by Monty
2 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

ZzZZzzZZ okay boomer, take a chill pill before you have a heart attack! Maybe go and feed some ducks okay boomer?

It's comments like that I see all over the place which are immature and clearly insulting. No one is using "boomer" in the same way you describe (like hank or wilbur).

The millennials probably wouldn't like it if they got a nick name, like "Lennys" (millennyal).

"I saw a lenny throwing a fit today at the grocery store. I guess they ran out of avacado toast! Poor little lenny maybe he can go cry about it on snapchat"

Again not really helpful for bridging generations and it has nothing to do with being "thick skinned". And by the way, saying people are "so easy offended today" is about the most "boomer" thing you say and would result in an "okay boomer" (rolleyes, laugh) from most kids.

I mean, that's already been happening for a while. Wouldn't be anything new, they've been $&!# on as a generation for ages now. Zoomers have been lumped in too as they've begun to reach adulthood. 

Inter-generational conflict ain't anything new, the can of worms is just bigger. Economics, politics, technology, ect play their part too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, DonaldBrashear said:

And what about Negative Nancy and Debbie Downer?