The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maple Leafs star Auston Matthews tests positive for COVID-19

Rate this topic

Slegr

A good friend of mine who is good buddies with a future hall of famer said a lot of guys don’t want to play and said it wouldn’t be surprised if its fake. You think about it, Matthews who is the NHLs golden boy, got the virus then a lot of players would stand up and say &^@# it were not playing. Food for thought. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’m really finding the reporting on this so interesting. There is nothing on it from Sportsnet and TSN right now even though it’s a huge story. It’s all over other media outlets; CBS Sports, yahoo sports, Toronto Sun, the Score, etc.  

It just goes to show nothing gets reported on the Leafs from TSN or Sportsnet unless they have Leafs management blessing. Those two media outlets are literally owned by the Leafs.

Exactly what I thought.  As soon as I saw it I went to check Sportsnet and TSN as it would be the top story.  Not even a mention.  They need to figure out the spin first to ensure Leaf nation feels they are still the best for some reason.  

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Another red flag for the NHL in considering hub cities.

Ontario is a big NO!

Way too many active cases floating around there....

Matthews has been in Arizona this entire time.

Ontario's case numbers have been trending downwards for over a week. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I’m really finding the reporting on this so interesting. There is nothing on it from Sportsnet and TSN right now even though it’s a huge story. It’s all over other media outlets; CBS Sports, yahoo sports, Toronto Sun, the Score, etc.  

It just goes to show nothing gets reported on the Leafs from TSN or Sportsnet unless they have Leafs management blessing. Those two media outlets are literally owned by the Leafs.

League doesn't want names of players to leak, my guess is PA is asking for privacy. TSN and Sportsnet as the league's big name media partners have to respect those guidelines. A guy like Simmons has no obligation to withhold this story. 

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

League doesn't want names of players to leak, my guess is PA is asking for privacy. TSN and Sportsnet as the league's big name media partners have to respect those guidelines. A guy like Simmons has no obligation to withhold this story. 

Maybe, but they could still report a member of the Leafs has tested positive for COVID, just as they have for Tampa, Ottawa (training staff) and others.

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

Not exactly,  MLSE is owned by the same companies who own Sportsnet and TSN.

Rogers Communications owns 37.5% of MLSE and also owns Rogers Sports and Media which owns 100% of Sportsnet.

BCE (Bell Canada) also owns 37.5% of MLSE and also owns Bell Media which owns TSN

If you think that there is too much promotion of the Leafs by Canadian media, there is a very good reason why and I don't think it's a coincidence that both companies hold exactly the same number of shares.  If you fish around, you'll be surprised just how much of Canadian media is controlled by these 2 giants and they love to promote their baby.

• Upvote 1

The US was opened up far too early and for all the wrong reasons.  Now, the case counts are ballooning and the irony of course is that they may have to shut down again.  

And when there is criticism of what is going on the defense quickly gets partisan.  News flash my American friends, Covid 19 knows no politics and kills indiscriminately 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Imagine if we got this news 2 days before the Cup Final was scheduled to begin. Granted, all that means is Matthews would have to cancel his tee time, but I think it's a fair trade.

Ugh.   Looks like 11 players all asymptomatic with the exception of couple having low grade fevers - have tested positive so far out of over 200 players getting regular testing so far.  3 from TB and they’ve shut down training facilities to clean.   This could definitely throw a wrench in things.   I suppose it’s possible some already had it unknowingly...but given it’s a contact sport - especially if Marchand is playing and players don’t get splash shields ha ha ... argh.   Not good news for the league and the fans. 

15 hours ago, Pears said:

I wonder if it’s time for the NHL to reconsider that plan proposed by the BC government to host games in Vancouver and other WHL cities in this province considering how well we’ve handled it here. 

i heard the bc provincial government has amended their support of the nhl plan to restart the league in hub cities

i think there is a new rider written into it

excluding permission for matthews to attend if vancouver is a hub

• Haha 1

Pears said:

I wonder if it’s time for the NHL to reconsider that plan proposed by the BC government to host games in Vancouver and other WHL cities in this province considering how well we’ve handled it here. 

I was thinking the same, at the same time it could be a wake up call to younger that it is still a concern 

Edited by ba;;isticsports
forgot quote

20 hours ago, Pears said:

yes, but the NHL is Bully-Adamant that they will not go anywhere where there is a 14 day quarentine.

I would  hope Bonny will not welcome players unwilling to quarentine

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Pears said:

That idea was shutdown months ago already by Bettman.  

There's not the infrastructure.  It would cost far too much to put them at NHL standard and set up all the cameras.  The difference between pre-season games at non NHL arenas is visible - eg the game at Abbotsford game in pre-season.  Theres' no fans in the stands so it's all going to be about the quality of the broadcast.  There's sanitisation issues too where NHL arenas have the procedures, technology and personnel in place.

They are setting up 2 hub cities to eliminate travel.  They want all teams in the same location and isolated from the rest of the world.   They are trying to create a bubble where everything will be sealed off and that includes hotels, restaurants and entertainment.  Players need things to do during downtime.  Creating bubbles all over the province has a cost - they need people to run that bubble and security to ensure there's no breach.   

Some of those locations don't offer much to do either.  Players can't just go from the ice to their hotel rooms.  Some of those locations don't even have the hotel standards - they are looking for high end luxury hotels with all the amenities.  The league is worried about the players' psyche/moral as they are going to be kept in isolation.  They want them to have things to do during downtime.

That's also why Vegas is high on the list of the players' preference - they can seal off more amenities than many other locations.   Setting up in Vancouver and then traveling to those provinces to play is unpractical.  They want to have the play-ins in about 8 days.  They can't be on the road all that time.  Players aren't going to be allowed outside the bubble. Setting up a bubble is already considerable work and costs - adding more is not realistic.  That's also in part why they went down to 2 hubs rather than 4.