The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Goldobin signs with CSKA Moskow

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

I was rooting for the guy. I’m a fan of Goldy’s attitude and character, but ultimately I think this is the best option for him. He just doesn’t have the game to be a top 6 in the NHL. I’m really hoping though that he can come back in 2 years and take up an NHL job somewhere.

Ditto. 

Although time will tell if the NHL will come knocking in two years.  It's too bad things didn't work out because, as you mentioned, his attitude and character is NHL level.  But he's been given ample chance here and was just not quite good enough.  Hopefully he has a long and amazing career in the KHL, dazzling fans with his skills that he just couldn't do on a consistent basis here.  All the best to Goldy.

• Like 2

Goldy is an RFA after this year. The Canucks can still qualify him and see if he improves enough in the KHL over the next couple of years to make a return. I expect this is what will happen. An asset is an asset and a qualifed Goldy could be traded down the line for other assets if need be. Good luck to Goldy on this next chapter. Not sure if he'll ever return to the NHL but he has the chance too.

23 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Goldy is an RFA after this year. The Canucks can still qualify him and see if he improves enough in the KHL over the next couple of years to make a return. I expect this is what will happen. An asset is an asset and a qualifed Goldy could be traded down the line for other assets if need be. Good luck to Goldy on this next chapter. Not sure if he'll ever return to the NHL but he has the chance too.

I would hope we qualify him. Best case scenario he scores and plays well in the KHL. In 2 years, we can then trade his rights to a team for a pick or prospect. Don't see him coming back here unless we have a different coach behind the bench at the NHL level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Really didn't feel he was given a fair shake by Green. It's inexplicable how he could score and then be benched for that.

Three entirely different coaching staffs have passed on him, so it isn't really reasonable to put it on one of them and not him.

He just wasn't good enough, if you are only good for offense and the team gets scored on more than you score... then you aren't doing any good.  There is no shame in being too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL, it still makes you one of the best hockey players on the planet.  The KHL is probably just right for him.

He got to play with really talented line mates and got some premium minutes, other players with those opportunities did better than he did.  Baertschi is a better player than him and still can't make it into the league right now.

He got pushed far enough down our depth chart that it is time to move on to newer prospects.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 4

Not surprising. Utica will miss him, but he's too good for AHL hockey. I figured he was going to be gone. Best of lucky in Russia, Goldy. Wasn't always the hardest worker, but did seem to have a good attitude despite that. Never complained about all the AHL time he was getting.

Figured he'd move on, shame. I was hoping he'd worked out, he's got tantalizing talent. If he'd buried goals instead of hitting all those posts I wonder how things would have played. But that's the breaks sometimes. 

He was too good for the AHL, same as Baer. But he put his time in and I don't recall him complaining. I hope he gets another NHL shot in a couple years. 

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Likely wouldn’t have been qualified anyway.  Either way it opens up a contract spot. 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Three entirely different coaching staffs have passed on him, so it isn't really reasonable to put it on one of them and not him.

He just wasn't good enough, if you are only good for offense and the team gets scored on more than you score... then you aren't doing any good.  There is no shame in being too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL, it still makes you one of the best hockey players on the planet.  The KHL is probably just right for him.

He got to play with really talented line mates and got some premium minutes, other players with those opportunities did better than he did.  Baertschi is a better player than him and still can't make it into the league right now.

He got pushed far enough down our depth chart that it is time to move on to newer prospects.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ah, why? Let the kid go. 

43 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

why not...we did with Tryamkin and now at least we have the option to sign him or trade his rights for something. Something is better than nothing no? 

Cap friendly has the Canucks at 47 contracts out of 50.

Unless they are going to fill those spots, then why not qualify Goldie?

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Really didn't feel he was given a fair shake by Green. It's inexplicable how he could score and then be benched for that.

Its inexplicable how Canuck fans think a guy who was .5 PPG with Petterson, a defensive liability, and softer than Mason Raymond's christmas stocking somehow earned him a contract.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Cap friendly has the Canucks at 47 contracts out of 50.

Unless they are going to fill those spots, then why not qualify Goldie?

It gives you extra flexibility to sign college players, UFA’s, make trades 

• Cheers 3