The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Goldobin signs with CSKA Moskow

Good.  Go!!  This kid was super frustrating to watch!   Sure he made a pretty play here and there but majority of the time he’s floating out there.  Inconsistent, can’t hit, defensive liability, he will fit in well in The KHL.

just wondering how this will effect trymakin now (spelling!?)

For me this young man had loads of offensive talent,unfortunately for him the rink is two hundred feet.

He was what I call a floater,show up for five minutes a game and shine and then float around and just expect to be given more ice time.

I wish him the best for the future and if he gets his act together before it's too late,he could be a star.

• Cheers 1

After reading some of the posters here, I am a little disappointed. Yes, Goldobin had chances, but it is friggin hard man. There are so many little tricks that need to be learned in the pro-game. For most, it is not just skate down the ice and score...it is just not that easy.

Goldie, did a pretty good job offensively, but could not apply himself defensively at that calibre. That is not to say, that he would not be able to back check on us and take the puck away easily...….it is just the difference in calibre...….and every pro suffers to this with some extent......this is why they never stop training, never stop trying to learn.

IMO, Goldobin, was a solid offensive player, and "IF" he could have been a better offensive player, his defensive weaknesses may have been over looked, but there were better alternatives, like Pearson, Baertschi (at the time), and Leivo to a lesser extent, etc.

The departure of Goldobin, only illustrates that it is difficult to be a world class pro. That is just the reality. Plain and simple!

I wish Goldobin a good career and good health. And many rubbles. 

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It is a bit disappointing that once you get tagged with a label, it you almost can never get rid of it.

What label is that? He needed to improve in certain areas to make it at the next level and while he did marginally, he was quickly surpassed. He didn't break this "label" on his own and earn a spot. Was rooting for him, but the writing was on the wall as the spots he could fill started filling up before he could develop himself into those roles.

12 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Don’t buy the forth line role bs to be honest. Better player plays, he should’ve been in instead of Schaller lmao

Schaller was the better PKer than Goldy. We needed that more than another one dimensional offensive player. We started out gangbusters in scoring to start the season to further prove we didn't need him at the time and Schaller even started the season hot too. Eventually Schaller fizzled, but we also eventually moved him in part of a deal to get Toffoli who would also play a big part in replacing Goldy anyway.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I mean one can't really say they didn't give him a shot. He had solid top-6 playing time for awhile with Petey. He's top 6 or bust and he doesn't displace Pete, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Toffoli, or Pearson. Even Virtanen is more worthy of a spot there. I just never saw something more than a Sam Gagner level player. 

Agree, he had his chance...just didnt work...gl to him in russia

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Schaller was the better PKer than Goldy. We needed that more than another one dimensional offensive player. We started out gangbusters in scoring to start the season to further prove we didn't need him at the time and Schaller even started the season hot too. Eventually Schaller fizzled, but we also eventually moved him in part of a deal to get Toffoli who would also play a big part in replacing Goldy anyway.

schaller was a waste of 2 mill in cap and did nothing    benning signs a bunch lemons  every few yrs ( schaller, eriksson, gagner, benn, sutter) all under achieving on their contracts  id take goldy at 700k any day over these bums 

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

schaller was a waste of 2 mill in cap and did nothing    benning signs a bunch lemons  every few yrs ( schaller, eriksson, gagner, benn, sutter) all under achieving on their contracts  id take goldy at 700k any day over these bums 

Schaller beat out Goldy for a spot at the start of the season. Goldy wasn't replacing what Schaller had provided. If Goldy was an equivalent player to Schaller in their roles, then yes I'd take the cheaper player. Goldy simply wasn't better than the players that he was trying to beat out on the roster. He was behind Baertschi and even he didn't make it last season.

• Cheers 2

Great passer, decent offensive ability but nowhere near enough to rely on it to be an NHL given the shortcomings of the rest of his game. 

A guy like Goldobin needs to be a 20 points 50 point player with consistency to stick around in the nhl and other than a few flashes was simply not good enough. We did give him a fair shake. In San Jose he played 115 games in the minors and 11 in the NHL. In Vancouver he played 84 games in the minors and 114 in the NHL. 

18  goals 44 points might have kept him around in an 82 game season but over 114 games that simply isn't good enough production. Leivo was tossed aside by the Leafs and we got 17 goals 37 points in 85 games from him to go along with a much more well-rounded game. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Comparing Goldy to Schaller is apples to oranges. Schaller was expected to be a 4th line player with some grit and defensive acumen, while potting goals occasionally. He was never, ever going to be a top 6 player. If he had been better, he would have filled the role perfectly.

Conversely, Goldy was never going to be a bottom 6 player - even if he improved his defensive game. He WAS expected to put up points, and I don't think anyone expected him to be gritty. With the team moving to a bigger, harder team, Goldy was already an odd man out to some degree. And when it was proven he couldn't get his d game to where it needed to be either, there just wasn't a spot for him.

Given that Goldy had ample chances to round out his game I realize I am probably wrong, but somehow I have a gut feeling we will see Goldy back in the NHL at some point. I think a couple more seasons of working at completing his game in the KHL could do him good if he is smart enough to continue working on what he was asked while he was with us.

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

After reading some of the posters here, I am a little disappointed. Yes, Goldobin had chances, but it is friggin hard man. There are so many little tricks that need to be learned in the pro-game. For most, it is not just skate down the ice and score...it is just not that easy.

Goldie, did a pretty good job offensively, but could not apply himself defensively at that calibre. That is not to say, that he would not be able to back check on us and take the puck away easily...….it is just the difference in calibre...….and every pro suffers to this with some extent......this is why they never stop training, never stop trying to learn.

IMO, Goldobin, was a solid offensive player, and "IF" he could have been a better offensive player, his defensive weaknesses may have been over looked, but there were better alternatives, like Pearson, Baertschi (at the time), and Leivo to a lesser extent, etc.

The departure of Goldobin, only illustrates that it is difficult to be a world class pro. That is just the reality. Plain and simple!

I wish Goldobin a good career and good health. And many rubbles. 

Never saw any of his games in Utica this past year but apparently he was working on his d-side game. I believe he was at close to 1.0 ppg this season with a decent +/-.  IMHO Goldy is getting a tad more credit for his ozone game than is warranted. His conversion rate on scoring ops was not that good. If it was he would likely be in the NHL somewhere. One has to ask why other clubs didn't take a chance if he had turned the corner this past season. 

My issue with Goldy was more about puck battles and going to the net more aggressively. He has superior ice vision but not enough physicality. I am not suggesting had to be another Jake with big hits. As you mentioned both Leivo and Pearson both have better balanced games. Goldy had to add that to his game to change his trajectory. Once established he might have been able to change again. Goldy had to show NHL scouts and coaches and GM's that he had the drive to put it all on the line.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

why not...we did with Tryamkin and now at least we have the option to sign him or trade his rights for something. Something is better than nothing no? 

not unless there are some big changes, and they wouldn't be good ones. He won't get a top 6 spot either under Green or now by talent - he's not going to beat out Boeser or Miller or Jake for a spot anymore. 

I suspect the plan was to not provide a QO like they did with Hutty e.g., I'd be fine with cutting the kid free to go find a job elsewhere. 

14 hours ago, gurn said:

Cap friendly has the Canucks at 47 contracts out of 50.

Unless they are going to fill those spots, then why not qualify Goldie?

he's never going to play here. Careers are short so why not let the kid go find a job, vs hang on to some un-detradable rights? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Never saw any of his games in Utica this past year but apparently he was working on his d-side game. I believe he was at close to 1.0 ppg this season with a decent +/-.  IMHO Goldy is getting a tad more credit for his ozone game than is warranted. His conversion rate on scoring ops was not that good. If it was he would likely be in the NHL somewhere. One has to ask why other clubs didn't take a chance if he had turned the corner this past season. 

My issue with Goldy was more about puck battles and going to the net more aggressively. He has superior ice vision but not enough physicality. I am not suggesting had to be another Jake with big hits. As you mentioned both Leivo and Pearson both have better balanced games. Goldy had to add that to his game to change his trajectory. Once established he might have been able to change again. Goldy had to show NHL scouts and coaches and GM's that he had the drive to put it all on the line.  

I totally agree with you Boudrias

My point was that, he was passed, and / or just never caught up, because players need such a complete game, just not one side for a large extent.

I am sure he felt he was aggressive, and I am sure he felt he back checked, but it is a game of subtleties , which some exceed and some do not 

I personally, do not have the need to call him out, as it was not within him, to reach that level, where others did.

It does not make him a bad hockey player or stupid, or anything else. It is that he had reached his apex, and did not have it within himself to reach higher,

like 10 million other hockey players, which I am sure he was better than. There were parts of Goldie's game that were very enticing, some parts not so much.

I just wish him luck.

Good player, but not cut out for the NHL. Not many players in the world play an NHL level game.   Seems like a nice kid, I wish him well.  It will be interesting to see how he progresses over the next few years and if he gets another shot.