The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Would you trade Podkolzin as a sweetener IF......

Preface to posters:  I love Podkolzin.....I’m just openly speculating about different ideas.  Also, I’m not a capologist.

1) By trading Podkolzin, another team out there took on the contracts of Eriksson, Sutter, and Baertschi (Ottawa or Detroit?) (zero retention)

2) We were able to comfortably re-up and re-sign ALL of Markstrom, Toffoli, Virtanen, and Gaudette.

3) The Canucks could sign Tanev, or make a realistic competitive offer to sign Alex Pietrangelo (in which case, bye bye to both Tanev and Stecher if we get AP).

Ps - to get rid of the above contracts, maybe you would have to add in Hoglander in an independent deal.

For example - Pod gets rid of Eriksson and Baertschi, while Hoglander gets you rid of Sutter?   (Zero retention).

No. The potential long term benefit of a prospect like Podkolzin outweighs the short term cap relief of moving said players out.

Baer just needs to fit. He's useful and his contract isn't really that bad.

Eriksson will probably be waived next season (if there is one). I'm not an expert but I think that saves some cap. Maybe not? If he gets waived he might just retire.

Sutter will be injured a lot no matter what, so most of his cap hit will be LTIR'd. He just can't seem to stay healthy anymore.

• Vintage 1

Nope nope nope.  Sutter has value, there will be a team that bites on him.  Eriksson may need to be bought out, and so be it.  This team is getting closer and closer to getting into playoff contention, and as it does, it will also be receiving worse and worse draft picks, so giving up our higher end talent now slows down our momentum.  I see Podkolzin as a lock for our top 6, and will help complete the upcoming core.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Type R said:

Nope nope nope.  Sutter has value, there will be a team that bites on him.  Eriksson may need to be bought out, and so be it.  This team is getting closer and closer to getting into playoff contention, and as it does, it will also be receiving worse and worse draft picks, so giving up our higher end talent now slows down our momentum.  I see Podkolzin as a lock for our top 6, and will help complete the upcoming core.

Not that I’d consider the deal. But...

Ericksson’s contract is pretty much buyout proof, Sutter likely doesn’t have value to any team unless Vancouver retains on him, and Baertschi successfully passed through waivers twice this season.  No GMs are lining up to trade for him.  

it’s not a deal Vancouver makes, but by the same token you’d be just as hard pressed to find a willing trade partner willing to take on $14m in cap for next year and another &6m the following year. 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Ericksson’s contract is pretty much buyout proof, Sutter likely doesn’t have value to any team unless Vancouver retains on him, and Baertschi successfully passed through waivers twice this season.  No GMs are lining up to trade for him.  

it’s not a deal Vancouver makes, but by the same token you’d be just as hard pressed to find a willing trade partner willing to take on $14m in cap for next year and another &6m the following year. 

A competent 3rd line center thats good on the PK and a role player has value, he's just redundant and a bit expensive for here.  I agree, buying out Erickssons contract doesn't make sense, but it boils down to how badly they need the space.

7 minutes ago, Type R said:

A competent 3rd line center thats good on the PK and a role player has value, he's just redundant and a bit expensive for here.  I agree, buying out Erickssons contract doesn't make sense, but it boils down to how badly they need the space.

As you pointed out, Sutter has had an extensive injury history the last several seasons.  That impacts his value. He also has a NTC which limits the teams he can be sent to.  I don’t see him moving. 

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Preface to posters:  I love Podkolzin.....I’m just openly speculating about different ideas.  Also, I’m not a capologist.

1) By trading Podkolzin, another team out there took on the contracts of Eriksson, Sutter, and Baertschi (Ottawa or Detroit?) (zero retention)

2) We were able to comfortably re-up and re-sign ALL of Markstrom, Toffoli, Virtanen, and Gaudette.

3) The Canucks could sign Tanev, or make a realistic competitive offer to sign Alex Pietrangelo (in which case, bye bye to both Tanev and Stecher if we get AP).

Ps - to get rid of the above contracts, maybe you would have to add in Hoglander in an independent deal.

For example - Pod gets rid of Eriksson and Baertschi, while Hoglander gets you rid of Sutter?   (Zero retention).

No, there's zero reason to.

We can work through cap issues.

If I was looking to trade Podkolzin it would be for prospect of RHD prospect of equivalent caliber. I was talking with some Islanders fans about Podkolzin for Dobson straight up and the value was close, but its tough to pry a young RHD on an ELC. They're probably the only team that meets the conditions necessary for a move like that: 1) They have a RHD prospect we could use (Dobson) 2) They have an excess of current and future RHD 3) They have a need for wingers. The Rangers might fit the bill as well but I don't think their RHD prospect (Lundkvist) fits our needs as well as Dobson. I think there was a poster on here who suggested this deal a while back as well. 

I was also talking to some Detroit fans about dumping Eriksson's contract and we actually agreed on a deal: Eriksson + DiPietro + 2nd 2021 for a 6th 2021. They originally wanted Demko but I offered DiPietro instead. The Red Wings still need a goalie for the future and they have cap space to spare since they won't be competing soon. Keeping Demko allows the Canucks to not have to worry about our suddenly barren goalie pipeline as he's young enough to be around for the long haul.

• Cheers 1

explain how you get to items 2 and 3 in your scenario

you cannot trade a prospect, no matter how good, for cap space

so you do need to provide more details

how trading this player

suddenly frees up or makes available gap space we can use to sign free agents

(and if you are merely referring to item 1, why bother separating this all into separate items)

i say no to number 1

i do not understand how number 2 and 3 work

Edited by coastal.view

7 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I think pending UFA's packaged with non-premium assets can have some takers.

Stecher RFA rights and Sutter (don't see them biting on two more years of Beagle or Roussel) to Ottawa (they don't have anyone signed besides Bobby Ryan, Brady Tkachuk, Anisimov (one year) and Colin White).  Boedker's $4 mil gone, no major pending RFA's this off-season, and though Brannstrom and Thomson could make it you'd think that they would want to insulate their blue-chippers with more than just Nikita Zaitsev.  Wouldn't they also want someone to at least alleviate some of the loss of veteran leadership that trading Pageau would've brought to their team?  As good as their kids are I'd doubt that they would want to go full tilt with them since that can be boom or bust, and one year could be a good period for training wheels for them with these vets, at least that's my $0.02.   

no way we are trading pod to get rid of a contract are u kidding me if anything they can bury eriksson in the minors til his contracts over.  Sutters contract can be traded if we retain half his salary  its one more yr  teams will bite at sutter at 2.17 mill a yr  also can retain half of baertchi contract trade a  ahler a teams interested  in as a sweetner  this clears  4.5 mill in space