The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Canucks Team Awards

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Not sure I agree with Miller being a unsung hero. Guy is in my team MVP conversation. I really think Stecher and Tanev should have been front runners for unsung hero. Neither get the respect they deserve for what they bring. Stech works every bit as hard as Miller, but is unfortunately smaller. Stecher and Tanev are the only defenseman we have that work harder in the dzone than the ozone. Hughes is close though. Love Miller but you can't be a team MVP candidate, which I think he is and it's hard to argue against his overall value to the team, and be a unsung hero. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not sure I agree with Miller being a unsung hero. Guy is in my team MVP conversation. I really think Stecher and Tanev should have been front runners for unsung hero. Neither get the respect they deserve for what they bring. Stech works every bit as hard as Miller, but is unfortunately smaller. Stecher and Tanev are the only defenseman we have that work harder in the dzone than the ozone. Hughes is close though. Love Miller but you can't be a team MVP candidate, which I think he is and it's hard to argue against his overall value to the team, and be a unsung hero. 

It's really odd seeing the same player winning both the Leading Scorer and Unsung Hero award at the same time. I agree that the unsung hero should go to a guy who is less noticeable but does a lot of things right consistently helping the team game after game. Personally, my vote went to Tyler Motte.

• Upvote 1

Gotta say I pretty strongly disagree with Miller being the Unsung player winner. Maybe around the league that would be the case, but in Vancouver, I heard MVP talks about him. When a guy is in the conversation for MVP, he's not underrated. I agree with Hughes as the Babe Pratt and Marky as the Cyclone Taylor. Petey and Edler weren't my top picks for the Pavel Bure or Sedin Awards, but both are still quite deserving nonetheless.

Also interesting to none that not a single poster on this thread had Miller as unsung hero, so I suspect a lot of voters didn't watch some of the lesser known players closely enough to really evaluate them. I imagine CDC posters are more likely to pay close attention to players outside of our best names, so CDC members are more likely to notice the lesser known players.

I'd probably have Hughes as my most exciting player. What he did with the puck this season was mesmerizing. No shade on Petey. I just think Hughes was that good. I guess they didn't want all the awards going to 4 players. Lol. That wouldn't have been the case if the Unsung hero didn't go to a MVP candidate. But it is what it is. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I'd probably have Hughes as my most exciting player. What he did with the puck this season was mesmerizing. No shade on Petey. I just think Hughes was that good. I guess they didn't want all the awards going to 4 players. Lol. That wouldn't have been the case if the Unsung hero didn't go to a MVP candidate. But it is what it is. 

Agreed about Hughes.

But lol, Miiler who arguably could have won team MVP won the unsung hero award? Freaking LOL. In a way (although he wouldn't actually care) it's almost a slap in the face to him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I agree,

I would call Miller a very "sung" hero. He is the top point scorer on the team and everyone recognizes who he is and what he means to the team.

I think the meaning has been lost on those who voted. Usually this is reserved for a depth guy that isn't a star on the team but works his butt off to excel in his role. 

This is usually for the Tyler Motte or Josh Leivo types of players although I woul have chosen Gaudette for it this year.

Edited by GarthButcher5