The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HHOF Class of 2020: Ken Holland, Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla, Kevin Lowe, Kim St-Pierre, Doug Wilson

Rate this topic

How does any of this make sense? 

1)Marian Hossa isn't even retired, he's on LTIR!

2)Is the bar so low that even Kevin Lowe got in? He's such a meh player. I'd put him as somewhere between Ohlund and Edler. This induction reeks of NHL politics more than actual ability. 

3) Ken Holland isn't retired and is still actively working in the league. Perhaps its permitted for those in the builder category but it does still seem odd to me. 

4) Jarome Iginla is the only one probably universally accepted to being there

5) No clue who Kim St. Pierre is.

7 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

How does any of this make sense? 

1)Marian Hossa isn't even retired, he's on LTIR!

2)Is the bar so low that even Kevin Lowe got in? He's such a meh player. I'd put him as somewhere between Ohlund and Edler. This induction reeks of NHL politics more than actual ability. 

3) Ken Holland isn't retired and is still actively working in the league. Perhaps its permitted for those in the builder category but it does still seem odd to me. 

4) Jarome Iginla is the only one probably universally accepted to being there

5) No clue who Kim St. Pierre is.

For builders it makes sense because a lot of them keep working until they're medically unable to do so.  Wait too long and you end up with having to induct them posthumously like what happened with Pat Quinn.  I think it's reasonable to want to allow the inductees to be alive and well enough to be present on their big day.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Mogilny and Konstantinov are the two biggest omissions from the HHOF from that era.  Both should have been inducted years ago.

Lowe was basically the caliber of Ohlund.  Solid player but doesn't belong in the hall.

he got a backdoor entry ticket

a reward for destroying the oilers for all those years in management

despite getting all those high draft picks

congrats lowe for taking the low road in

The only pick I would question a bit would be Lowe, but I suppose the combined player and builder experience gets him in. Great picks all around and Wilson in particular was overdue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whorvat said:

Hossa gets in with .86 ppg over Mogilny? :blink:

Hossa played a lot longer and longevity counts for something. On top of that, Hossa was also an excellent defensive forward, finishing Top 15 in Selke voting seven times, peaking at 5th in 2013-14. Mogilny also played a lot in the 90s when scoring was much more prevalent, especially in 1992-93. Hossa started his career at the dawn of the dead puck era.

Not to say Mogilny doesn't deserve it, because I believe he does, but I would probably have Hossa in before him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

The only pick I would question a bit would be Lowe, but I suppose the combined player and builder experience gets him in. Great picks all around and Wilson in particular was overdue.

Anybody that put in his share of nails in the coffin of the Oilers franchise (eg., his "work" in management for the Oilers) I have to give a standing ovation.:P

As a player, he couldn't carry Ohlund's jockstrap.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

8 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Mogilny def got snubbed.. as others have said he was a forgotten superstar. He also bounced around a lot. What team would he go in under? I guess Buffalo? He played on a lot of teams and his playing time on each was spread out, he never really settled anywhere.

Typical Canuck luck.  We had BOTH Russian Superstars on the team when they were STILL in their prime.  But our usual luck, both never seemed to be healthy at the same time.  But EITHER guy could carry a team by THEMSELVES if they could last a full season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Hossa played a lot longer and longevity counts for something. On top of that, Hossa was also an excellent defensive forward, finishing Top 15 in Selke voting seven times, peaking at 5th in 2013-14. Mogilny also played a lot in the 90s when scoring was much more prevalent, especially in 1992-93. Hossa started his career at the dawn of the dead puck era.

Not to say Mogilny doesn't deserve it, because I believe he does, but I would probably have Hossa in before him.

Mogilny was no slouch defensively for much of his career. He just was in an era full of amazing 2 way forwards. Everyone paled compared to Federov/Yzerman.  

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

That’s about it.   Lowe is better then he’s getting credit for on this forum (so far),  he was a shut down defender, tough as nails and the defensive conscience on all five cup winners of the most exciting dynasty in NHL history..adding a cup too (won’t talk about that).   You can bet EDM fans thought he should have been in the HHOF a long time ago.   Six cups means something.   It’s why Wilson kept getting snubbed (zero cups) agree he’s long overdue ...  Not sure I agree with the decision and if this just lowered the bar for a guy like Adam Foote who’s a decent comparable.  But I can definitely see the reasoning is debatable.     His point totals are Lowe-ish ha ha ... but it’s not always about that (didn’t check but pretty sure his 431 points puts him firmly in the top 100 all-time list too, close to where Jovo is anyways)...For a decade he was considered one of the best defensive defenseman in the league - top 3 at least (Langway kept him from the top the most),  and garnered Norris consideration four times, and votes for first and second berth All-star 10 times ... don’t believe Ohlund ever did that.  Or Edler.   Not fair comparisons...Ohlund was better then Edler IMO too BTW - again not always about the points.

Can’t see aside from the LTIR whining why anyone wouldn’t think Hossa is deserving...yes even over Mogilny.   His two-way game was Crosby level.    Something Mogilny wasn’t known for.  And he put up a ton of points while doing it, three cups etc, finals on two other teams (and a key member on both those teams too).     He’s a winner.   Not sure what Mogilny you guys watched, he was like Kovalev while here - amazing some nights - non-existant others.   Glad he went on and won a Cup with NJ, without it he wouldn’t be getting the call over players like Nichols and Turgeon who waited long enough too.  Or Theo Fluery.  Or maybe Roenick. 

If anything I will agree that the bar does seem to be slowly creeping down.   COL fans must be stoked - some of them have been calling for Foote in the HHOF (that’s a level lower...six cups again means something and Lowe was definitely a core member of five of those cups wins, maybe all six but I’m not going to consider that).    That’s going too far,  I for one can live with Lowe in the HHOF, and understand what he did during the 80’s and early 90’s which put him there.   Other players in similar roles in dynasties from earlier decades made it playing a similar role.    There is a reason why for years Vlasic regularly was viewed as a top 25-35 player in any position - making top 50 for a decade or so....over goalies, centres and other defenders and some prolific wingers.   If we had to find a comparable for today’s game I suppose he’d do. 

• Cheers 1