The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

traffic ticket

aronk

Do traffic-ticket demerits count against me in other jurisdictions?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/culture/article-do-traffic-ticket-demerits-count-against-me-in-other-jurisdictions/

I live in British Columbia and hold a B.C. driver’s licence. While visiting Ontario recently, I was pulled over by the OPP and told I had committed an offence that carries a fine and three demerit points. Will demerit points assigned in Ontario be applied to my B.C. driving record? – Barry

Demerits you pick up in Ontario won’t travel back with you to B.C.

“If a B.C. driver were to receive a violation ticket – for example, a speeding ticket – outside of our province, it would not be added to driving record in B.C.,” said Lindsay Wilkins, spokeswoman for the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), in an e-mail.

Most provinces do share some demerits. For instance, Ontario demerits for speeding would make it onto your Alberta licence.

But, B.C. – along with Quebec and Nunavut – didn’t sign the Canadian Driver Licence Compact (CDLC), a 1990 agreement to share driving records between the provinces and territories.

And that lack of sharing goes both ways. If you had an Ontario licence and got a ticket in B.C., the offence wouldn’t appear on your Ontario driving record and you wouldn’t get the demerits.

The exception? Criminal Code of Canada violations, including impaired driving, get shared with all provinces and territories..

https://www.stingypig.ca/faq/speeding-ticket-from-another-province/

The Canadian Driver Licence Compact

Not everyone is aware of the CDLC. It is an agreement that took place in 1990. It involved many of the Provinces and territories. There were a few that would not opt into the agreement. These were Quebec, Nunavut and British Columbia. The agreement was that all the provinces and territories would share information. As it pertains to the driving records

The reverse also applies. Drivers in the exempted provinces or territories would not have their driving ticket exposed. That is if they received a speeding ticket in Ontario for example.

The mandate behind the Canadian Driver Licence Compact is simple. It is one driver, which means one driver’s license which creates one driving record.

Short answer...probably NO.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

There has been a bone to pick from the earliest days of CDC.  It is funny how people continue to spend their time typing up a question for CDC to answer when they could have googled it in less.  Where do they think we get our information from?

Edited by The Colt 45s
  • Cheers 2