The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van & Ottawa (1st OA-proposal)

7 hours ago, luckylager said:

Again, I was proposing value. Basically the cap relief isn't worth moving "1oa" unless a truly elite player is coming back AND you ditch 6m tied up on Loui.

Big picture, in a scenario where we have that 1 OA, we're way to better off to keep it.

@Phil_314

I get what you mean, big negative value (Eriksson) and big positive value (1st overall) yielding an elite player coming back in Chabot IS amazing, BUT again shouldn't neglect how much such pieces already cost since the cap is a very real thing (I mean I'd be down to have Brady Tkachuk and Brannstrom as the return too).

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I get what you mean, big negative value (Eriksson) and big positive value (1st overall) yielding an elite player coming back in Chabot IS amazing, BUT again shouldn't neglect how much such pieces already cost since the cap is a very real thing (I mean I'd be down to have Brady Tkachuk and Brannstrom as the return too).

Well &^@#ing eh rights to that bud. Definitely 

12 hours ago, Fanuck said:

LE, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, and Myers - essentially everyone with a contract that would help us greatly if it were moved, all have a NTC or M-NTC and I'm thinking Ottawa is one of the first places on the list of teams they cannot be traded to.  So there's that issue.....

I tried to avoid the clause-chappies. Ferland's NMC..might have to be subbed I guess? I could see Mr Maple Syrup(Roussel) accepting a go with that young squad on Quebec's border.

Sutter gets the 'U' word..ultimatum, buddy. You accept this move, or it's an end-season buyout. So tired of the Thin Man on IR. Cap-quicksand w/ a crooked grin.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's curious to me that I haven't really seen more fans contemplating(wishing/hoping) for something like this above angle.

- feel we have enough top, young talent(esp fwds). We mostly need to fit this jigsaw together.

- Too many top stars & the cap-restrictions leave an unbalanced team anyways

By dumping around 10 mill of hit, we could aggressively shape a roster towards contender-status, perhaps 1 or 2 seasons earlier. Excessive/superfluous bottom-6 contracts are currently strangling this team like a tangled umbilical cord.

Ottawa believes they are on the rise and will be able to compete next season.  Can't see them interested in cap dumps and risk being stuck in an endless rebuild.  Everyone just gets frustrated, fans move on and it costs money.  Buffalo is a complete mess and who knows how long until their young stars ask out.  

Lafrenière is also no McDavid.  Nice player but just not worth taking on that many cap dumps and giving up youth.  Their explanation in wanting a complete tear down type of rebuild was to hoard young talent so that they can build a team that will compete together for years to come.  It's more efficient than having to use free agency where it's older players that end up getting overpaid with too much term and who knows if they even end up fitting the group - just look at the list of players the Canucks are looking to get rid of.

Why would another team want to replicate those mistakes especially when they are in a good cap situation and look to be starting to put a good young group together.

Edited by mll

51 minutes ago, mll said:

It's more efficient than having to use free agency where it's older players that end up getting overpaid with too much term and who knows if they even end up fitting the group - just look at the list of players the Canucks are looking to get rid of.

Why would another team want to replicate those mistakes especially when they are in a good cap situation and look to be starting to put a good young group together.

Neither of us could say with authority, of course. How does a GM time such choices? The guys I shipped are mostly off books in 1 season. For a 1 & 3 selection-opportunity, who can say what any GM would/won't take on?

Also I mentioned this option could apply with a few other GM/teams(NJ, Det, Habs). Where you might try to extract the best bargain.

Lastly, not expecting we'd luck out(12.5%) anywho..but whichever of the 8 play-in teams does luck out, will not be surprised if they closely explore such an avenue.

Cap space IS becoming the valued treasure.

25 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Neither of us could say with authority, of course. How does a GM time such choices? The guys I shipped are mostly off books in 1 season. For a 1 & 3 selection-opportunity, who can say what any GM would/won't take on?

Also I mentioned this option could apply with a few other GM/teams(NJ, Det, Habs). Where you might try to extract the best bargain.

Lastly, not expecting we'd luck out(12.5%) anywho..but whichever of the 8 play-in teams does luck out, will not be surprised if they closely explore such an avenue.

Cap space IS becoming the valued treasure.

Losing young players along the way.  A team is not just star players.  Cost efficiency in the bottom of the lineup is also important.   If the bottom-6 aren't coming through the system then there is the risk of overpaying in free agency.  I don't see teams wanting to take that gamble and take a step back.  

Vancouver is actually an example of why not to do it.  Hughes and Pettersson were not the top players in their draft but look well on their way to be in a re-draft.  They found talent outside of 1st overall.  They are now being anchored down by the number of their unwanted contracts.

Edited by mll

well if the canucks for fortunate of winning the draft, oh man it would be awesome to watch lafreniere playing with petey, and brock or jt. 2 extremely stacked offensive lines now and just have to work on the blueline. but if we were that lucky, i would rather trade the pick and pick up a dmen like dobson, provorov, slavin, someone who's young and inexpensive with a draft pick as well for a generational player like lafreniere. 

• Cheers 1

If I'm going to trade a pick as valuable as this years 1OA, I'm going after pieces we need.

I think, right now, our top six is in great shape, if, they can be kept together.

We need right side d. 

I'd be more inclined to go after someone like Adam Fox in New York.

A young, offensive defender who's just ending his first season under his ELC, giving us a young, affordable, right handed budding star to add to a very needy blueline.

I'd also be looking to shed LE's cap hit.

1OA, Loui Eriksson to NY for Adam Fox

They get another key piece to their forward core and we get the badly needed right side threat from the blueline and some cap relief.

We then hold on to the saved cap space for next year's offseason when Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes are up for new contracts.

48 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

If I'm going to trade a pick as valuable as this years 1OA, I'm going after pieces we need.

I think, right now, our top six is in great shape, if, they can be kept together.

We need right side d. 

I'd be more inclined to go after someone like Adam Fox in New York.

A young, offensive defender who's just ending his first season under his ELC, giving us a young, affordable, right handed budding star to add to a very needy blueline.

I'd also be looking to shed LE's cap hit.

1OA, Loui Eriksson to NY for Adam Fox

They get another key piece to their forward core and we get the badly needed right side threat from the blueline and some cap relief.

We then hold on to the saved cap space for next year's offseason when Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes are up for new contracts.

I rather keep Lafreniere and promote Loui to Director of the Scouting Department ::D

Lafreniere Petey Miller

Toffoli Horvat Boeser

• Cheers 1

If we win the 1st overall then just pick Lafrenierre.   All the cap space will go away in time / we don’t need to stress about two more years before it can be maximized.   When MG had his guys all signed what did he do with all his extra dough he managed with his NTC/NMC’s?  He wasted it on Ballard and Booth...which also cost us a first rounder and a serviceable middle six guy in Grabner.   Both guys ended up getting bought out.   If and when we get cap space doesn’t mean it will work out or go the way we hope.   Same with 31 other teams in the league.   Bad contracts occur all the time.   

It’s pure fantasy anyways ... all I’m hoping for at this point is the play-ins occur ... and that we win some playoff games.