The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Skate Jersey Petition For Qualifying Round/Playoffs

Rate this topic

djheer

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I've also been a fan since day one. So what? I love the Orca as it represents where the team plays and forms a C for Canucks. It's a great logo for that reason.

Orca has nothing to do with Vancouver, of the 5000 known orcas half live near Antarctica, only 75 live anywhere near Vancouver, a used condom can form a C, that stands for someone finishing what they started, I wish the Canucks could.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

By that standard alone the stick in rink is ruled out.

At least the rink and stick represent hockey, you know, the sport they play, the orca represents nothing but a corporation that once owned the Canucks.

• Like 2
  • Wat 1

8 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Been a passionate fan a lot longer than you, my friend. The 4-game sweep by the Islanders in '82 felt like a death in the family even though the Canucks were a Cinderella team and the Islanders were the powerhouse defending Cup champions. Very heartbroken after the Game 7 loss to the Flames in '89(I cried after the game for Stan Smyl who is my all-time favourite Canuck after he missed scoring on that breakaway vs Mike Vernon in OT) and after the Game 7 loss to  the Rangers in '94.

The Orca has NO business being on the Canucks' identity and therefore, should not be a Stanley Cup-winning crest. I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan and I demand a crest that represents the Vancouver Canucks hockey club in both rebuilding times and contending times, not a logo that represents the former ownership from Seattle nor so-called social activists, environmentalists and animal lovers.

Either grow the heck up or maybe you should be a Calgary fan because you love to "Flame" those who don't share your opinions and views.

'82 was more of an unexpected run than a Cinderella run. The 4th seed beat the 5th seed, 8th seed, and then the 6th seed to reach the finals. All they had to do was play to their ability. The hard work, eliminating the top 3 seeds, was done for them. Don't get me wrong I loved that run, but when the top two seeds were upset in the first round I thought they had a golden opportunity to make the finals. LA's first cup was a Cinderella run. They took out the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seeds to make the finals. and only lost one game getting there. That's a Cinderella run.

Demand whatever stupid logo you want. Nobody cares. I wouldn't be tossing the "grow up" notion about considering the tone of your posts and head in the sand attitude that an Orca doesn't mean Canuck but a Stick in Rink somehow does. Either both are valid in forming a C or neither is.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Orca has nothing to do with Vancouver, of the 5000 known orcas half live near Antarctica, only 75 live anywhere near Vancouver, a used condom can form a C, that stands for someone finishing what they started, I wish the Canucks could.

The pod off our coast is unique in that it doesn't migrate. The Orca has ties to this city as Vancouver changed the world view of the Orca from being as dangerous as a great white to being friendly and social mammals much the same as dolphins. A great deal of Orca research was conducted right here in Vancouver at the aquarium. There are two other pods off our coast that migrate from Alaska to South America. Occasionally the two other pods join with our resident pod to temporarily form a "super pod". Vancouver is known worldwide for the unusual pod off our coast. So the Orca has a great deal to do with Vancouver if you know the history. So Vancouver doesn't need to be the only place to have Orca's. If you truly think the Orca doesn't have anything to do with Vancouver you've never walked past souvenir shops downtown or just don't pay attention. From earrings to ornaments to t-shirts and art, there's a reason you see the Orca everywhere. We simply have a unique pod off our coast and are well known for it. Add in a Haida style and it's a perfect logo to represent WHERE the team plays. Did you know BC exports more native art than the rest of Canada combined? BC's native art is also known worldwide. Ultimately yours is just a lame argument, we're not the only place to have lumberjacks or hockey rinks and sticks. Is Nashville the only place in the world saber tooth remains have been found? Every argument I've seen regarding the Orca logo is lame. Just say "I don't like it and would prefer ???". At least that would be real rather than real lame.

Maybe you can create your condom jersey and call yourself "Condom Man" protector of penises. You do seem to like the idea of forming a C with a condom. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

49 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

At least the rink and stick represent hockey, you know, the sport they play, the orca represents nothing but a corporation that once owned the Canucks.

But it doesn't mean Canuck!!! :frantic:

Look at all the leagues primary logos and count up how many have a reference to the sport played. Then go through them again and count up how many include a reference to where the team plays and see which is the more common element. I'll save you time - where the team plays easily wins. 

All hockey logos are corporate logos. Get over it.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Baggins said:

But it doesn't mean Canuck!!! :frantic:

Look at all the leagues primary logos and count up how many have a reference to the sport played. Then go through them again and count up how many include a reference to where the team plays and see which is the more common element. I'll save you time - where the team plays easily wins. 

All hockey logos are corporate logos. Get over it.

Actually most logos represent the teams name, not the sport, not the city.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The pod off our coast is unique in that it doesn't migrate. The Orca has ties to this city as Vancouver changed the world view of the Orca from being as dangerous as a great white to being friendly and social mammals much the same as dolphins. A great deal of Orca research was conducted right here in Vancouver at the aquarium. There are two other pods off our coast that migrate from Alaska to South America. Occasionally the two other pods join with our resident pod to temporarily form a "super pod". Vancouver is known worldwide for the unusual pod off our coast. So the Orca has a great deal to do with Vancouver if you know the history. So Vancouver doesn't need to be the only place to have Orca's. If you truly think the Orca doesn't have anything to do with Vancouver you've never walked past souvenir shops downtown or just don't pay attention. From earrings to ornaments to t-shirts and art, there's a reason you see the Orca everywhere. We simply have a unique pod off our coast and are well known for it. Add in a Haida style and it's a perfect logo to represent WHERE the team plays. Did you know BC exports more native art than the rest of Canada combined? BC's native art is also known worldwide. Ultimately yours is just a lame argument, we're not the only place to have lumberjacks or hockey rinks and sticks. Is Nashville the only place in the world saber tooth remains have been found? Every argument I've seen regarding the Orca logo is lame. Just say "I don't like it and would prefer ???". At least that would be real rather than real lame.

Maybe you can create your condom jersey and call yourself "Condom Man" protector of penises. You do seem to like the idea of forming a C with a condom. :lol:

Natives made art out of every animal they saw, so what does that have to do with Vancouver or hockey....nothing, BCs national mammal is the spirit bear. Kill the orca!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

By that standard alone the stick in rink is ruled out.

And the skate, and the Flying V...

"Canuck" is a slang term for Canadian, not something that translates into a good logo.  Which is precisely why the team has never used a literal depiction of one.  A lumberjack isn't a Canuck either.

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Here's a list of NHL logos that don't depict their teams namesake literally... 

Boston Bruins
Columbus Blue Jackets
Montreal Canadiens
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Washington Capitals

A sports logo is a symbol used to represent a team.  It can play up the team name, the region, the sport or all three.  There is no concrete rule stating it must represent its team namesake literally.  Teams named after types of people (Canucks, Senators, Rangers, Islanders, etc) are always better suited to go with a letter or play up the regional angle.  The Canucks do both with the Orca.  It's a perfectly acceptable (and good) sports logo and your criticism is completely baseless.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

On 6/30/2020 at 9:33 PM, Slegr said:

Fight the power! These are beauty sweaters and they’re Petey’s favorites. Might as try to make him feel as good and confident as he can be for play-ins.

All the players current and from the Sedin era love them ... yeah they should just rip the Orca bandaid off - go back to those uniforms permanently - keep fin and make the prime Sedin era Orcas the 3rd jersey.     Would be met with overwhelming approval - could hear the cheers across the province if that was announced ha ha.     The new Orcas are not a big improvement- at best a sideways move (don’t get the green sleeve stripes)  - they looked awesome wearing the black skates - that’s for sure. 

On 7/4/2020 at 1:17 AM, Dumb Nuck said:

Plus the Messier era.  Ugh.   Shoot the whale/dolphin and bring back the spaghetti! 

On 7/4/2020 at 4:32 AM, morgo said:

And the skate, and the Flying V...

"Canuck" is a slang term for Canadian, not something that translates into a good logo.  Which is precisely why the team has never used a literal depiction of one.  A lumberjack isn't a Canuck either.

Here's a list of NHL logos that don't depict their teams namesake literally... 

Boston Bruins
Columbus Blue Jackets
Montreal Canadiens
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Washington Capitals

A sports logo is a symbol used to represent a team.  It can play up the team name, the region, the sport or all three.  There is no concrete rule stating it must represent its team namesake literally.  Teams named after types of people (Canucks, Senators, Rangers, Islanders, etc) are always better suited to go with a letter or play up the regional angle.  The Canucks do both with the Orca.  It's a perfectly acceptable (and good) sports logo and your criticism is completely baseless.

Your wrong about Canuck having a connection to lumberjacks - Johnny Canuck has been around since before Canada unified - used as a political cartoon to counter Uncle Sam and US influences as far back as the late 1850’s... and used periodically right through the Second World War to defend Canadians against the Nazis...pretty sure a burly lumberjack with an axe would have made an intimidating cartoon against a silver haired skinny dude in a top hat - and nazi Germany given how ferocious our troops were considered (Nazis hated going against us - considered us as shock troops - more capable and fearless compared to the French, British and US in their minds anyways) talking to my grandad about this he said the US troops were over fed - they’d get steak and eggs every breakfast -  and spoiled, and ran and hid at the first sign of a tank- and that they had to bayonet them to get them off their landing crafts (sure he wasn’t too fond of them).   Johnny Canuck made the word Canuck have more meaning - it made Canuck buffoon logger type - at least for a time- and definitely was a derogatory term to US citizens (which is changing but it still can be used that way now) and an affectionate one for Canadians and our British Allies.  

Edit:  the influence in modern times still exists - Wolverine,  a Canadian is often called a Canuck or Canucklehead and was depicted as a logger in one of their films...the logger connection still has merit today - and definitely makes sense as far as BC goes given our forrests and the industry carries so many towns in the interior.   He looks like a logger in his films too ha ha.   As an aside my favourite scene ever was a credit scene where a young Xavier and Magnito found him in a bar and went in to recruit him for the x-men - they go to introduce themselves and he just says “f!ck off” and they retreat with their tails between their legs with looks of astonishment on their faces - which were absolutely real because Hugh Jackman didn’t go with his lines at all.  They loved the scene so much it took one take and used it - also the only time a Marvel character ever swore like that ... until Deadpool of course.   If that’s how the media still wants to see us I’m cool with that. 

Edit:  as far as our namesake goes, a logger would be just fine - and a throwback to our roots the old WHL as well.   Represents the name well, and makes more sense then a constipated Orca.   

Edit:  Man this is going on and on.  The Sens have a senator on their logo - a Roman one but that’s a senator.

The Boston Bruins have used a bear in their logo from time to time - so yeah they’ve done that.   

And the New York Rangers also go our their namesake despite it having little to do with New York.   They were nicknamed after the Texas Rangers (a play on words with the owner at the time named Tex) - if you go look at the State of Texas flag and also do some research into the Rangers themselves the logo will make sense very quickly - so yeah they also are honouring their namesake despite it having zero to do with NY, a lot  to do with the Rangers though.   Won’t look too far into the other ones you’ve listed but bet if I did you could  find a connection somewhere. 

As far as criticizing the orca - their is plenty of basis for it, anyone who watched them change then to those god awful Messier era ones knows what I’m talking about.   The Sedin era ones were an improvement.  Orca entertainment branded us.  Literally wanted to change the name too but Quin was so vehemently opposed to the idea it didn’t happen.   Not our best moment.   And the stink will never wash off for some of us.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

On 7/3/2020 at 11:40 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

Natives made art out of every animal they saw, so what does that have to do with Vancouver or hockey....nothing, BCs national mammal is the spirit bear. Kill the orca!

You picked a perfect name for yourself. :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/3/2020 at 11:40 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

413635316_NHLlogos.thumb.jpg.32d6f9ff3d54d3a6e3144752da71b08b.jpg

It appears tough for you so try again. Count how many logos have a reference to where the team plays. Then count how many logos include a reference to the sport payed. Our logo is simply the opposite of Calgary and Phillies. Thiers are a letter to represent where the team plays in an image to represent the team name, ours a letter for the team name in an image to represent where the teams plays. By your standard Detroit shouldn't have a wheel included in the Red Wing as cars are made all over the world and have nothing to do with the team name or the sport played. What a stupid Red Wings logo. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/3/2020 at 11:07 PM, Baggins said:

The pod off our coast is unique in that it doesn't migrate. The Orca has ties to this city as Vancouver changed the world view of the Orca from being as dangerous as a great white to being friendly and social mammals much the same as dolphins.

Orca are just the largest member of the  dolphin family, but they look great in a tux.

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Your wrong about Canuck having a connection to lumberjacks - Johnny Canuck has been around since before Canada unified - used as a political cartoon to counter Uncle Sam and US influences as far back as the late 1850’s... and used periodically right through the Second World War to defend Canadians against the Nazis...pretty sure a burly lumberjack with an axe would have made an intimidating cartoon against a silver haired skinny dude in a top hat - and nazi Germany given how ferocious our troops were considered (Nazis hated going against us - considered us as shock troops - more capable and fearless compared to the French, British and US in their minds anyways) talking to my grandad about this he said the US troops were over fed - they’d get steak and eggs every breakfast -  and spoiled, and ran and hid at the first sign of a tank- and that they had to bayonet them to get them off their landing crafts (sure he wasn’t too fond of them).   Johnny Canuck made the word Canuck have more meaning - it made Canuck buffoon logger type - at least for a time- and definitely was a derogatory term to US citizens (which is changing but it still can be used that way now) and an affectionate one for Canadians and our British Allies.  

Edit:  the influence in modern times still exists - Wolverine,  a Canadian is often called a Canuck or Canucklehead and was depicted as a logger in one of their films...the logger connection still has merit today - and definitely makes sense as far as BC goes given our forrests and the industry carries so many towns in the interior.   He looks like a logger in his films too ha ha.   As an aside my favourite scene ever was a credit scene where a young Xavier and Magnito found him in a bar and went in to recruit him for the x-men - they go to introduce themselves and he just says “f!ck off” and they retreat with their tails between their legs with looks of astonishment on their faces - which were absolutely real because Hugh Jackman didn’t go with his lines at all.  They loved the scene so much it took one take and used it - also the only time a Marvel character ever swore like that ... until Deadpool of course.   If that’s how the media still wants to see us I’m cool with that. 

Edit:  as far as our namesake goes, a logger would be just fine - and a throwback to our roots the old WHL as well.   Represents the name well, and makes more sense then a constipated Orca.   

Edit:  Man this is going on and on.  The Sens have a senator on their logo - a Roman one but that’s a senator.

The Boston Bruins have used a bear in their logo from time to time - so yeah they’ve done that.   

And the New York Rangers also go our their namesake despite it having little to do with New York.   They were nicknamed after the Texas Rangers (a play on words with the owner at the time named Tex) - if you go look at the State of Texas flag and also do some research into the Rangers themselves the logo will make sense very quickly - so yeah they also are honouring their namesake despite it having zero to do with NY, a lot  to do with the Rangers though.   Won’t look too far into the other ones you’ve listed but bet if I did you could  find a connection somewhere. 

As far as criticizing the orca - their is plenty of basis for it, anyone who watched them change then to those god awful Messier era ones knows what I’m talking about.   The Sedin era ones were an improvement.  Orca entertainment branded us.  Literally wanted to change the name too but Quin was so vehemently opposed to the idea it didn’t happen.   Not our best moment.   And the stink will never wash off for some of us.  

I simply prefer the Orca off our coast to represent where the team plays and a C for Canucks rather than an eastern created political cartoon character to represent us. As far as I'm concerned the only way to depict the team name is the letter C or the full name as the Rangers did. We're not the Vancouver Johnny Canucks and I don't see a cartoon lumberjack representative of a Canadian which is what "Canuck" actually means. Honestly that JC logo looks like it belongs on a peewee team. It's awful.

What you call "god awful" I call perfect for where the team plays. Truthfully I could care less about the original reason behind the Orca logo. It's simply a great logo for where we play.

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

I simply prefer the Orca off our coast to represent where the team plays and a C for Canucks rather than an eastern created political cartoon character to represent us. As far as I'm concerned the only way to depict the team name is the letter C or the full name as the Rangers did. We're not the Vancouver Johnny Canucks and I don't see a cartoon lumberjack representative of a Canadian which is what "Canuck" actually means. Honestly that JC logo looks like it belongs on a peewee team. It's awful.

What you call "god awful" I call perfect for where the team plays. Truthfully I could care less about the original reason behind the Orca logo. It's simply a great logo for where we play.

Check where Vancouver whale spotting tours go....hint, it’s quite a ways away from Vancouver, even into the US. I do not associate an orca with Vancouver, maybe Victoria, but definitely Vancouver.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

No worries.   I’m used to it (The Orca)  - and as I’ve said several times at least the uniforms have improved a lot.   But 3 games of seeing the black skates was more then enough for me to fantasize of getting those ones back, and given that’s the OP - yeah I’d be stoked to see them for a round or two.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Check where Vancouver whale spotting tours go....hint, it’s quite a ways away from Vancouver, even into the US. I do not associate an orca with Vancouver, maybe Victoria, but definitely Vancouver.

I guess you're not old enough to remember them at the aquarium then. But even then....

Even in False Creek....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1