The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Skate Jersey Petition For Qualifying Round/Playoffs

Rate this topic

djheer

36 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I guess you're not old enough to remember them at the aquarium then. But even then....

Even in False Creek....

Awesome, but killer whales are pretty much everywhere but I guess more are elsewhere, otherwise why would those tours waste so much gas travelling so far away. There’s an octopus at the aquarium that I remember or what about Grinder and Coola, they’ve been on Grouse for 20+ years.

Irregardless, you’ll never convince me orcas represent Vancouver and I’ll always hate the logo.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

No worries.   I’m used to it (The Orca)  - and as I’ve said several times at least the uniforms have improved a lot.   But 3 games of seeing the black skates was more then enough for me to fantasize of getting those ones back, and given that’s the OP - yeah I’d be stoked to see them for a round or two.   

Hey we all have preferences. Some even like that hideous Flying V. It really doesn't matter what the uni and logo is there will always be those that want something else. The logo will be in ongoing dispute. But what gets me is the intentional stupidity regarding the Orca logo. A whale isn't a Canuck (neither is a stick in rink), Orca's have nothing to do with Vancouver. It's making up lame excuses I have absolutely no respect for. I can respect "I don't like the look and would prefer xxx. I don't expect everybody to love the Orca logo as we all have different taste. But anybody believing changing will stop the logo arguments are just kidding themselves. 

One thing I can say about the skate uni is once they dumped the yellow for white I could tolerate it. Hated the SIR, and V. But once the Orca came, for me knowing the Orca history here, I thought they got it right. Very Vancouver. When they changed to the original colors I felt they perfected it. The Orca is the only Canucks jersey I've bought since they joined the league. Prior to that I would only buy hats and t-shirts with Vancouver Canucks or just Canucks written on them. Othe rthan that I had a Bobby Orr jersey (black), Mike Bossy (blue), and an Yzerman (white).  

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Awesome, but killer whales are pretty much everywhere but I guess more are elsewhere, otherwise why would those tours waste so much gas travelling so far away. There’s an octopus at the aquarium that I remember or what about Grinder and Coola, they’ve been on Grouse for 20+ years.

So are cars yet Detroit included a wheel in their red wing as a nod to where the team plays. Stupid right?

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

17 minutes ago, Baggins said:

So are cars yet Detroit included a wheel in their red wing as a nod to where the team plays. Stupid right?

It’s still a red wing first and foremost. I’m not saying all logos are good, just ours is the worst, 

I almost started a poll on to rank the nhl logos but it would be tough to get impartial results.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

30 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Detroit is known as the Motor City. Vancouver is not the Orca/Killer Whale City. Vancouver is known for its beautiful natural scenery which explains the original/current blue, green and white.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

As far as criticizing the orca - their is plenty of basis for it, anyone who watched them change then to those god awful Messier era ones knows what I’m talking about.   The Sedin era ones were an improvement.  Orca entertainment branded us.  Literally wanted to change the name too but Quin was so vehemently opposed to the idea it didn’t happen.   Not our best moment.   And the stink will never wash off for some of us.  

The Messier era was 3 years, the Orca's been around for 23.  The Orca was going to be the Canucks new logo whether Messier signed with the team or not and Trevor Linden was involved in the design process.  Stop using the Orca as a lightning rod for the dark times the franchise went through from 1997 to 2000.  When I think of the original Orca and the Navy, Maroon & Silver scheme, I think of the West Coast Express.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, morgo said:

The Messier era was 3 years, the Orca's been around for 23.  The Orca was going to be the Canucks new logo whether Messier signed with the team or not and Trevor Linden was involved in the design process.  Stop using the Orca as a lightning rod for the dark times the franchise went through from 1997 to 2000.  When I think of the original Orca and the Navy, Maroon & Silver scheme, I think of the West Coast Express.

Trevor Linden was only toeing the corporate Orca Bay line. Orca Bay wanted an orca on the Canucks' identity whether or not they got to change the Canucks name to Orcas. The Canucks name was thankfully kept, thanks to Quinn and minority owner, Arthur Griffiths, however, this didn't stop Orca Bay from putting their corporate stamp on the Canucks' identity.

As for the West Coast Express, there were dark times too. Markus Naslund's "We choked" speech after choking to LA's AHL squad in the last game of the regular season which cost the Canucks first place in the division and Naslund the Art Ross and maybe the 50-goal mark. Todd Bertuzzi's grumpy "It is what it is" catchphrase was nauseating to listen to after another effortless night by the big guy who wasn't scoring after signing a new contract. As for the Steve Moore incident, the rest is what they say is history.

• Wat 2

23 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Trevor Linden was only toeing the corporate Orca Bay line.

He told you this when you spoke to him?

Orca Bay wanted an orca on the Canucks' identity whether or not they got to change the Canucks name to Orcas. The Canucks name was thankfully kept, thanks to Quinn and minority owner, Arthur Griffiths, however, this didn't stop Orca Bay from putting their corporate stamp on the Canucks' identity.

Not true, there were many concepts during the re-design process that didn't include an Orca.  Some even included Johnny Canuck but Trevor Linden liked the idea of having a collegiate 'C' and thought the version with an Orca was a strong mark.  And I agree with him wholeheartedly because the Orca is a much better primary logo than the Stick n' Rink, Skate or especially the Flying V.

As for the West Coast Express, there were dark times too. Markus Naslund's "We choked" speech after choking to LA's AHL squad in the last game of the regular season which cost the Canucks first place in the division and Naslund the Art Ross and maybe the 50-goal mark. Todd Bertuzzi's grumpy "It is what it is" catchphrase was nauseating to listen to after another effortless night by the big guy who wasn't scoring after signing a new contract. As for the Steve Moore incident, the rest is what they say is history.

It was also the logo during the Sedin Era and I don't see how those could be looked upon as dark times.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

13 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Detroit is known as the Motor City. Vancouver is not the Orca/Killer Whale City. Vancouver is known for its beautiful natural scenery which explains the original/current blue, green and white.

Oh I know why the wheel is there but it has nothing to do with the team name, cars are not unique to Detroit, nor is Detroit the only place that manufactures cars. The type of reasoning DC uses to say the Orca doesn't apply to Vancouver's logo. You ignore the history of the Orca with Vancouver, as usual, and that Vancouver is known worldwide for the pod residing off our coast. A pod that, for reasons unknown, doesn't migrate. Orca research here in Vancouver changed the world view of the Orca. That created an Orca - Vancouver tie. You love your lame excuses as much as DC does.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

All of these logo's are from the design process in 1997, including an early version of the Orca.  Notice how every single one says "Canucks."  But I suppose it was all just a conspiracy in preparation for an eventual name-change.  I suppose they made all those other logos knowing full well that the dreaded "Corporate, Messier, McCaw Orca" was going to shatter the hopes, dreams and spirits of all the real Canuck fans out there :rolleyes:.

70QCLtB.png

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

I made the same text out to Sportsnet 650. Wouldn’t mind seeing them wear the intimidating black jersey for the play in series. Sure was a barn burner to watch them play in those against the Sabres back on Dec 6th. It’s still the 50th season so let’s keep the party going!

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Trevor Linden was only toeing the corporate Orca Bay line. Orca Bay wanted an orca on the Canucks' identity whether or not they got to change the Canucks name to Orcas. The Canucks name was thankfully kept, thanks to Quinn and minority owner, Arthur Griffiths, however, this didn't stop Orca Bay from putting their corporate stamp on the Canucks' identity.

The name was kept thanks to two guys that didn't really have a say? They could certainly give an opinion but Mccaw, as majority owner, could do as he pleased. If he truly wanted to change the team name it would have happened. :lol:

1. "We've been looking at changing the uniform for a long time," said Canucks president and GM Pat Quinn, who ceremoniously handed the new jersey to Linden.
  3. "A West Coast artist finally came up with something we liked. Tradition is very important. I've always liked the (Chicago) Blackhawks' clean lines and they've never changed their logo. We wanted something that said where we are from."
  5. The design was developed by Orca Bay creative director David Youngson and White Rock artist Brent Lynch and was refined through input from Quinn, some of the current players, fans and focus groups. It's the fourth distinct uniform design since the club began in 1970.
  7. While there has been some speculation that this is the first step in changing the Canucks name, the Orca Bay brass have steadfastly denied that.
  9. "A name change is not an issue," said Orca Bay vice-president of corporate communications Kevin Gass. "There are no plans or intention to do it."

The teams history is mostly "dark times" isn't it?  Naslund's "we choked" comment was blown completely out of proportion. It was nothing more than a heart on his sleeve moment from a player clearly upset about losing a key game. Mogilny would take games off. Bure put getting Gino a better contract ahead of the team winning games. How many times has the Canucks made it past the second round in 50 years? Just more lame commentary from you. The dark times you speak off led to the longest sellout streak in franchise history. Dark times indeed.:lol:

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

On 6/30/2020 at 9:48 PM, morgo said:

Horrible idea.  The Skate is a special event jersey to celebrate the 50th anniversary and it should remain as such.  Our colours are Blue, Green and White.  Not Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green and White...  A unified identity is better than a completely mismatched one, regardless of anybodies personal uniform preference. 

Funny your said that - because it appears your preferences are the current ones.   Still most prefer the old identity to the new one even though it’s been around for a couple decades now.   Probably because no team won as many series in it as that one ha ha.    Unify indeed as long as unifying means in your direction right?  Would you be willing to unify to the old ones if that’s what the majority would prefer?  At this point management and all the flak they’ve taken over the years for the change (that wasn’t met with much enthusiasm at the time) stance seems to just wait it out until generations age out and this is no longer an issue.   Bet by then another version will pop up and this time all the orca lovers will be on the other side of the fence ha ha.   One of our traditions is change.   Did we ask the Haidi to use the Orca native art idea? Or just go ahead and do it - how insensitive of us, see a lawsuit pending and for sure Fin is terribly insensitive of us too to whales/dolphins (that’s sarcasm - but who knows when this will stop).  

With what’s happening right now to two pro clubs - Red Skins and Eskimo’s - you can bet Blackhawks will be next - if not the name the logo for sure (even though it routinely ranks at or near the top best uniforms in hockey)...the Orca hasn’t cracked the top 50 once...beat out by Smokeaters and Junior teams, one of the few NHL logos not represented....the Skate was though - because it’s more iconic, which I suppose winning does. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Funny your said that - because it appears your preferences are the current ones.   Still most prefer the old identity to the new one even though it’s been around for a couple decades now.   Probably because no team won as many series in it as that one ha ha.    Unify indeed as long as unifying means in your direction right?  Would you be willing to unify to the old ones if that’s what the majority would prefer?  At this point management and all the flak they’ve taken over the years for the change (that wasn’t met with much enthusiasm at the time) stance seems to just wait it out until generations age out and this is no longer an issue.  

Am I biased?  Sure.  I think Blue, Green and White is not only our best looking colour scheme but the very best in the league.  Still, there are more important reasons to keep things the way they are than just my personal preference:

1)  In our 50 years we've had 3 different primary logos and 3 different colour schemes.  If we go back to the Skate after 13 years of Blue, White and Green, we will forever be known as the team that can't make up its mind.  At this point the best thing the franchise can do is pick something and stick with it, which is exactly what they've done since 2007.

2)  We just had a cup run in the current look and the majority of fans at Rogers Arena are in Blue, White and Green.  Going back to the Skate will dilute our brand and eventually, people will be clamoring for a return to 2011 identity.

3)  The Skate has nostalgia going for it but besides that, it's not a very strong logo.  It's fussy, overly detailed and dated in a way that doesn't look remotely classic.

One of our traditions is change.

Tradition and change are diametrically opposed.  You can't forge tradition if you're changing your logo and colours every 10 to 20 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, morgo said:

Am I biased?  Sure.  I think Blue, Green and White is not only our best looking colour scheme but the very best in the league.  Still, there are more important reasons to keep things the way they are than just my personal preference:

1)  In our 50 years we've had 3 different primary logos and 3 different colour schemes.  If we go back to the Skate after 13 years of Blue, White and Green, we will forever be known as the team that can't make up its mind.  At this point the best thing the franchise can do is pick something and stick with it, which is exactly what they've done since 2007.

2)  We just had a cup run in the current look and the majority of fans at Rogers Arena are in Blue, White and Green.  Going back to the Skate will dilute our brand and eventually, people will be clamoring for a return to 2011 identity.

3)  The Skate has nostalgia going for it but besides that, it's not a very strong logo.  It's fussy, overly detailed and dated in a way that doesn't look remotely classic.

Tradition and change are diametrically opposed.  You can't forge tradition if you're changing your logo and colours every 10 to 20 years.

1.  Didn’t Messier come around 97?  And the Orca?  A lot longer then 13 years unfortunately for a lot of us fans.

2.  Given you most likely didn’t watch the Canucks before that - imagine if they did finally go by the majority or consensus of fans that preferred the pre-Orca uniforms - wouldn’t be much different to all the fans who were around for the other two cup runs.   Yes it probably will never happen but it’s going to be a long time yet before fans age out ... and the more they play in the black skate uniforms the more fans will be like why the heck don’t we just change back - why because they are awesome. 

3.  The Orca has a new generation of fans ... as far as the logo goes sure maybe you love it but I certainly don’t think it has anything to do with much other then a good business plan promoting a different look.   Wonder if they asked the Haidi nation for permission.   Personally I think the BC license plates from the 80’s-90’s would have been a better idea showing what Vancouver is all about other then a branding operation that if continued would have put the Canucks in Seattle re-named the Orcas.   I actually don’t really care about it  that much anymore - but it’s a prime example of when the minority gets what it wants and the majority suffer for it.    The team never looked better in the black skate uniforms , heads above the strange most blue ones with green sergeant like stripes on the sleeves.   The original one was better too.   The only thing I agree with is maybe it’s time to stop changing - but would be absolutely stoked if we did one more change - killed the Orca as Dumb Nuck keeps pushing ...

BTW:  THN did a top 50 hockey uniforms all-time - including international play and Juniors etc.   The only Vancouver one that made the cut (voted by the people that make these things, plus a fan like metric, designers etc.).   The Orca didn’t make the cut.   Only the Bure/Linden era one did - and some teams had multiple representation.    Yes I get that the original colours and the current ones do a better job of BC’s colours and I like I said above I really don’t care that much anymore as I know it’s never going to happen... but given the OPs question and how good the team looked and the reactions (fans and non-fans alike still have a connection to those uniforms) it’s a yes for me.   Fantasy land - and yes you made some good points too.   The best uniforms IMO of the past two decades aside from the three games this year with the black ones (and the prime Sedin team players themselves have said that they would have liked to have had a chance to wear them too and liked them better) were the retro stick in rink ones.   Which pretty much is the pecking order as far as consensus goes fans and non fans - Skate-Stick in rink - Orca.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

1.  Didn’t Messier come around 97?  And the Orca?  A lot longer then 13 years unfortunately for a lot of us fans.

I said the current look has been around for 13 years.  The Orca with Blue, Green and White.

2.  Given you most likely didn’t watch the Canucks before that - imagine if they did finally go by the majority or consensus of fans that preferred the pre-Orca uniforms - wouldn’t be much different to all the fans who were around for the other two cup runs.   Yes it probably will never happen but it’s going to be a long time yet before fans age out ... and the more they play in the black skate uniforms the more fans will be like why the heck don’t we just change back - why because they are awesome. 

I don't think that is the majority consensus.  I just see the same three people on here making the same lame arguments about the Orca because they associate it with Mark Messier.  Games at Rogers arena consist primarily of people in Blue, White and Green.

And for the record, I started watching in 1994 so if anything I should be partial to the skate.

Wonder if they asked the Haidi nation for permission.

Who gives a $#/%, it's been the logo for 23 years.  If they had a problem with it they should have done something when the logo was unveiled.  They don't get to retroactively get offended because "wokeness" is politically trendy.

The team never looked better in the black skate uniforms , heads above the strange most blue ones with green sergeant like stripes on the sleeves.  

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  I think the biggest mistake the Canucks ever made was replacing their original Blue, White and Green scheme with the halloween horror of the flying V, which was the official introduction of the skate logo.  The 1994 set, while improved, was an extension of that mistake which single handedly gave the Canucks the identity issues it has today.  Flip flopping back to that look will forever cast the Canucks as a team that can't make up its mind.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

15 minutes ago, morgo said:

I said the current look has been around for 13 years.  The Orca with Blue, Green and White.

I don't think that is the majority consensus.  I just see the same three people on here making the same lame arguments about the Orca because they associate it with Mark Messier.  Games at Rogers arena consist primarily of people in Blue, White and Green.

And for the record, I started watching in 1994 so if anything I should be partial to the skate.

Who gives a $#/%, it's been the logo for 23 years.  If they had a problem with it they should have done something when the logo was unveiled.  They don't get to retroactively get offended because "wokeness" is politically trendy.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  I think the biggest mistake the Canucks ever made was replacing their original Blue, White and Green scheme with the halloween horror of the flying V, which was the official introduction of the skate logo.  The 1994 set, while improved, was an extension of that mistake which single handedly gave the Canucks the identity issues it has today.  Flip flopping back to that look will forever cast the Canucks as a team that can't make up its mind.

Do some research.   Fans like the Skate - Original - Orca in that order.  So do the players - non- fans and the experts for the most part the Orca uniforms are actually fighting with the V for last spot.   I don’t care how many CDCers are posting on this thread - proper polls have shown this for years.  Bieksa said that he and his teammates asked to wear them for years ... I don’t disagree that blue and green are better colours - but you could take 50% of the leagues uniforms and also say the same thing.  It just works.  It was awesome - and Horvat never looked better wearing it same with the rest of the team (and were excited to do so).  Can’t believe I’m even debating this with someone who was a fan since 94.   You liked the Orca when it came?  Not many people I know - virtually nobody did. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1