The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Skate Jersey Petition For Qualifying Round/Playoffs

Rate this topic

djheer

On 7/27/2020 at 5:40 PM, jackofwind said:

Also, notice the difference between Roman military uniform and Roman senate dress, easily illustrated here. Guess who the senator is (hint: he's in the front.)

spacer.png

I was going to say that it was the guy with the beard...

regards,  G.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, tas said:

every mockup of a skate logo in any other colour than the original has been absolutely, irredeemably hideous. 

Thats because the skate logo is ugly. You're just used to it in its current colours. Which is interesting because they're some of the most garish you can possibly wear, so its worse.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

35 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Thats because the skate logo is ugly. You're just used to it in its current colours. Which is interesting because they're some of the most garish you can possibly wear, so its worse.

no argument here -- it's only aesthetic value is nostalgic. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

13 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I was going to say that it was the guy with the beard...

regards,  G.

You'd be right, the guy in the very front with the grey beard and toga is the senator. All the others are legionaries.

4 hours ago, jackofwind said:

You'd be right, the guy in the very front with the grey beard and toga is the senator. All the others are legionaries.

I read that Vikings didn't really wear fancy helmets...I always thought those big horns would be unpractical. 

The horned viking helmet motif came from abbeys they pillaged trying to make them sound as ferocious and evil as possible. It got caught on and is now quintessentially part of the Viking image. I don't have an issue with teams named the Vikings having horned logos and helmets and such because its part of the image they're trying to convey.

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

The horned viking helmet motif came from abbeys they pillaged trying to make them sound as ferocious and evil as possible. It got caught on and is now quintessentially part of the Viking image. I don't have an issue with teams named the Vikings having horned logos and helmets and such because its part of the image they're trying to convey.

Me neither. All for it.

Just pointing out that they didn't actually wear horns or helmets that much for that matter. I think only one Viking helmet has been found, a wrinky-dinky thing. 

I read they were not super big too 5'7 on avg and skinny. However that could have been a decent height back then. They were also more farmers than raiders too and women had stature in their society,. Also its debatable that they had tattoos, no proof. They were blonde though.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Me neither. All for it.

Just pointing out that they didn't actually wear horns or helmets that much for that matter. I think only one Viking helmet has been found, a wrinky-dinky thing. 

I read they were not super big too 5'7 on avg and skinny. However that could have been a decent height back then. They were also more farmers than raiders too and women had stature in their society,. Also its debatable that they had tattoos, no proof. They were blonde though.

They were young men/farmers looking for land (the ones raiding Saxon England anyway) they were strapping young lads in their prime.

They were only a smidge taller than the Saxons but both the Saxons and the Danes were taller than other European tribes/groups 

longboats used for raiding were believed to have been rowed by the soldiers and not by space thralls so while people come in all shapes and sizes their work can impact their body shape significantly. 

Also while the Danes/Norse/Swedes were traders and had vast trading network they were also raiders, warriors  and conquers. The word Viking in Norse literally means ‘to raid’ 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Also while the Danes/Norse/Swedes were traders and had vast trading network they were also raiders, warriors  and conquers. The word Viking in Norse literally means ‘to raid’ 

Cool.

Thanks for the info.

I found it interesting the most Vikings were farmers because I had always thought of them more as the name suggests, raiders. 

I also had a feeling 5'7 was pretty tall for back then. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Cool.

Thanks for the info.

I found it interesting the most Vikings were farmers because I had always thought of them more as the name suggests, raiders. 

I also had a feeling 5'7 was pretty tall for back then. 

I think the average was about 5’7 to 5’9 for the Viking’s. With the Swedish being the taller of the groups. 

Poor quality land, lack of space and finances were a key driver in raiding/invading England. Which ultimately led to the creation of the Danelaw. 

also in 990 Swein Forkbeard was proclaimed king of England after an invasion and this set in motion a series of events which came to head in 1066 with the Norman Invasion.

its a very interesting period of time. And that’s without  looking east with the founding of the Rus and the trade through central and Eastern Europe, the trade routes down the Volga to the Caspian Sea and their contact with the Arab world in Baghdad.

these trade routes mean that they had access to material and technology not seen in Europe. Specifically access to Wootz Steel (From India/Sri Lanka through trade with the Arabs) this means they were able to then forge the Ulfberht swords which were not to dissimilar to Damascus steel swords 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

I think the average was about 5’7 to 5’9 for the Viking’s. With the Swedish being the taller of the groups. 

Poor quality land, lack of space and finances were a key driver in raiding/invading England. Which ultimately led to the creation of the Danelaw. 

also in 990 Swein Forkbeard was proclaimed king of England after an invasion and this set in motion a series of events which came to head in 1066 with the Norman Invasion.

its a very interesting period of time. And that’s without  looking east with the founding of the Rus and the trade through central and Eastern Europe, the trade routes down the Volga to the Caspian Sea and their contact with the Arab world in Baghdad.

these trade routes mean that they had access to material and technology not seen in Europe. Specifically access to Wootz Steel (From India/Sri Lanka through trade with the Arabs) this means they were able to then forge the Ulfberht swords which were not to dissimilar to Damascus steel swords 

So cool.

I'm British with some Irish and Austrian heritage. I have read a couple books on the Anglo Saxons but that was a while ago and they had quite a bit of King Arthur folk lore.

Thanks for your info, you have inspired me to read up more on that era. I won't comment any more though as I don't want to derail this thread further.