The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

9 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Umm, yeah right.  So if Jake gets himself infected and cannot take part in training camp wouldn't that have an effect on the team's performance? 

As for Matthews getting infected while walking down the street.  Well, look up "Sarcasm" in the dictionary.  I know full well how this Virus gets transmitted.

Someone starts this thread about Jake putting himself in a risky situation at a Club and we all comment on it.  But somehow it gets construed as us vilifying him, hanging him out to dry, having a hate on for him.  You can disagree with my opinion that he made a bad choice by going to a club but don't ever accuse me of trying to vilifying him or not supporting him.  As I've said in past posts, I very much like the way he plays on the ice despite this perception that he hasn't lived up to his expectations.  I want him to succeed.  He is exactly the type of player we need to do well in the Playoffs.  

Well yeah, Spezza and half the other NHL'ers going for dinner the other night puts him in the same boat, along with the rest of the world.

Hold everyone to the same measure.

Matthew 7:5 The World English Bible translates the passage as: 

You hypocrite! First, remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Jaku said:

This is blown way too out of proportion. Club's open because the gov't said it's okay. Jake didn't break any rules, he went out for a drink. Who cares. 

well actually it was a big deal  when teams are trying to get back to playing,  also it was a big deal enough for the Canucks org. to talk to him about it.  Jake needs to work hard on his game and he was starting to get better, but still has a ways to go. some games he just floats. he could be awesome if he puts more effort into it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I also must say that people vehemently defending Jake have to understand this - it's ok to still "like/support" someone but not like what they've done.  You can do both.  

It doesn't make us bad fans to be honest and share opinions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bree2 said:

also it was a big deal enough for the Canucks org. to talk to him about it. 

I don't think the deed was a big enough deal to talk to Jake about; but the noise about his choice is what the team had the talk about.

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

I don't think the deed was a big enough deal to talk to Jake about; but the noise about his choice is what the team had the talk about.

I do.

This is a very competitive deal and in order to stick around you have to take it seriously.  If this was a one off for Jake, it'd likely go unnoticed.  But considering how he's shown up for camp and has likely had talks about commitment and dedication in the past, he's going to be scrutinized by his choices by those who have to figure it all out.  Others are showing up for voluntary skates...he's in the club with a poke the bear hat on.  I'm sure the team has a bit of concern over that.   How seriously he's taking this deal and, as the title suggests, his level of maturity.  They had hockey ripped away, abruptly, right in the throes of things.  Most are really excited to get back at it and are focused on getting back on the ice...some travelling from abroad to prepare for an upcoming playoff run.

Not a big deal, but for him, it could be.

13 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I cant believe some of you. Lay off Jake.

We all go to grocery stores and breath the same air. Gtfoh!

This nanny state covid has created is more deadly than the virus. I never wear a mask, I dont social distance and I think this is all a joke to be honest.

Hate on me, lay off Jake or like others have said. Free agents arent going to want to play here in snowflake city.

Awesome post, just ridiculous how people are still going on about Jake out for a few beers???? 

Do you people go to grocery store? 

Did someone see Jake do anything wrong besides go have few drinks with his good friends?? What 3 guys and 3 girls, there all healthy and aware of covid 19? The decks and pubs are full of people having a few drinks and snacks, its not a crime...Its okay these people are aware of covid..I feel Dr. Bonnie has done a great job.  Dr. Bonnie  has said its okay to have drinks in pubs just be smart and aware...Is phase 3 not started???Okay enough...

Big Jake is a smart guy so you ridiculous people leave this young talented man alone..Very rude assuming he is unsafe because he went for drinks?

Do we not learn that gossip and assuming things are worse then Jake having a few Beers?

Most of these people posting have kids? What do you say to your kids when there gossiping or assuming things??? 

Yes thats right, please stop assuming and gossip...Go read a book or go for a long walk..Get a life..

If Jake shows up to camp July 10t out of shape?  start your gossip but until then Jake Virtanen has done nothing wrong!!!!!

Go Jake Go -- 

Talk about positive things...See Jake's future - 75 GP -- 19 -24 G -- 42-46 PTS -- 23 yrs old - 6'1, 220, speedy power forward !

second - third line guy...Sure hope we keep Jake around...

Edited by wildcam
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

well i guess all of you that are pissed should just stay home and rot there. since that's probably the best way to not get infected. don't go to the mall don't go grocery shopping don't do anything just sit home and rot. then you are guranteed to not be infected. plenty of ppl don't practice social distancing at the mall and plenty don't practice at the grocery so those places ain't safe either.. so please stay at home and continue to get pissed over what other people do with their lives. if you guys are so worried about ppl testing positive here and there.. then might as well just cancel the season.. sports is not neccessary during a pandemic.

The world can not stop for COVID 19 -- Please if everything shuts down this will be way worse then Covid 19?

No food, nobody working, no money,people steeling from others it would be the worse thing in history. Worse then the depression in 1930...

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, bree2 said:

well actually it was a big deal  when teams are trying to get back to playing,  also it was a big deal enough for the Canucks org. to talk to him about it.  Jake needs to work hard on his game and he was starting to get better, but still has a ways to go. some games he just floats. he could be awesome if he puts more effort into it.

Let's be honest. Jake has been a pro hockey player for 5 years already. He's already been through the motions with Green and the Canucks organization about his conditioning and improving play. He took it seriously for all of one season and returned back to his old ways. Came into camp heavy at the beginning of the year, was debate if he was NHL calibre, had a few flashes of brilliance this year and all but showed that his upside with the Canucks caps out at a 3rd line player. Jake isn't changing into a dynamic offensive player with this team. 

Jake is going to do whatever he wants. What he was told by the government of BC is he's allowed into this nightclub. Who are we to tell him how to live his life. 

For those here suggesting we are:  no one's "telling Jake how to live his life".  But we are offering our opinion on it and that's ok.  Especially during a worldwide pandemic that's affecting all of our lives...what others do has a significant impact on that.  Never before has it mattered...but it does now. We're all in this thing together and so if people are dropping their guard and resuming normal life, it could set us back.  Even if under Gov't approval...it can all be reset in a heartbeat if the numbers explode.  And I expect that they will if clubs are open and people feel the urge to socialize without social distancing (which is what the original report was).  Remember - we can expand our bubble but it has to be with limitations and commitments.  And soon those bubbles will have to include teammates so they should probably be selecting carefully at this stage.  It can all be stripped away by the actions of a few who don't take it seriously.

Jake's a high profile professional athlete and we pay big bucks to watch him.  With that, we can offer our comments on how he prepares in the impromptu "off season" that's right before a playoff series is to begin.  It's what this board is based on.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2020 at 9:54 AM, Pears said:

Hughes goes to eat at restaurants that can be pretty packed at times but you don’t hear any uproar over it. 

They get take out food but they're not allowed to eat at the restaurants yet.

23 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

It works both ways, just as some of you jump to conclusions and think we are going overboard in criticizing him, I can say some of you are going overboard in trying to defend him.  

Bingo.  

23 hours ago, Pears said:

But again, he isn’t breaking any laws so I don’t see why people need to be so upset about it. 

It's not about breaking the law - and you're right he wasn't. But we're in a pandemic and you don't have to go to a nightclub to grab a bite to eat when training camp is 10+ days away. His other mistake here was allowing the video to be posted on social media. Based on his history he should've known that he would get some criticism for this.

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Restaurants are open for dine in at limited capacity. 

No I'm talking about the players in quarantine like Hughes, Petey and Boeser. They can only order take out/delivery. They're not allowed to be eating in restaurants or being in the public.

Edited by buddyguy

8 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

No I'm talking about the players in quarantine like Hughes, Petey and Boeser. They can only order take out/delivery. They're not allowed to be eating in restaurants or being in the public.

But they aren’t in quarantine yet so they can safely do whatever they like until they are. 

• Upvote 1