The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Not really - but only because most of it could be under the Covid thread - which is setting a record for posts on this site that likely no other topic will beat ever. Surpassed the Burrows thread in what three months? - and it’s a off-topic thread.   Maybe a cup winning thread will have enough legs one day.

As for JV, he’s a grown man who can make his own decisions.   BC is virtually free of Covid compared to any US state - and Ontario/and Quebec - and mental health breaks are factor in this - everyone needs to blow a little steam out sometimes and this is what people of his age do.   The place was open to the public like it or not.   What’s next?  EP goes to a crowded restaurant and is caught not socially distancing?   That should get another 10 or so pages of OMG the sky is falling. 

The league might not resume if they have too many covid cases.  Someone can follow the law and still catch the virus.

Tampa and St Louis had to shut down their training facilities.  It means that players who were believed to be negative entered the venue while actually being positive.  Testing is not fail proof.

The NHL asked that players social distance and wear masks at all times.  They are enforcing it at the rink where in the locker room players have masks on.  They can't enforce it away from the rink though as it's not a bubble environment and teams can't control what players do away from the rink.

BC is opening up and risk increases as people are more out and about in society.  Several European countries are seeing an increase in cases since re-opening and there are discussions to make masking obligatory.  Dr Henry says she expects every person to wear a mask in BC.  It's not mandatory but it carries a covid risk to not wear one.

Restaurants and clubs are trying to minimise the risk but it's still there and can't be eliminated.  The law is looking to flatten the curve.  They have to balance public safety with the need to open up as staying lock down creates other issues.

For the league though it's the covid situation that matters.  If cases mount among players they might just decide to give up.  Following the law doesn't protect at 100% against the virus and players have to be willing to take steps beyond the law to stay virus free for the league to resume.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

The league might not resume if they have too many covid cases.  Someone can follow the law and still catch the virus.

Tampa and St Louis had to shut down their training facilities.  It means that players who were believed to be negative entered the venue while actually being positive.  Testing is not fail proof.

The NHL asked that players social distance and wear masks at all times.  They are enforcing it at the rink where in the locker room players have masks on.  They can't enforce it away from the rink though as it's not a bubble environment and teams can't control what players do away from the rink.

BC is opening up and risk increases as people are more out and about in society.  Several European countries are seeing an increase in cases since re-opening and there are discussions to make masking obligatory.  Dr Henry says she expects every person to wear a mask in BC.  It's not mandatory but it carries a covid risk to not wear one.

Restaurants and clubs are trying to minimise the risk but it's still there and can't be eliminated.  The law is looking to flatten the curve.  They have to balance public safety with the need to open up as staying lock down creates other issues.

For the league though it's the covid situation that matters.  If cases mount among players they might just decide to give up.  Following the law doesn't protect at 100% against the virus and players have to be willing to take steps beyond the law to stay virus free for the league to resume.

Really?  Like I’m not aware of this.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

This long haul trucker first hand experience,  US cluster#$% situation.  

Medical for profit chaos. $199 per test? People just walk away without getting the test. smh

• Like 1

He has been skating in Kelowna during the pandemic on private ice during the crisis. He went out for a drink and what’s the big deal? A lot of guys go to clubs they are entitled to a life too. Patrick Kane goes out all the time and he is just fine. People now a days are so sensitive to other people these days. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This long haul trucker first hand experience,  US cluster#$% situation.  

Medical for profit chaos. $199 per test? People just walk away without getting the test. smh

Thanks for sharing.   Makes you wonder how many of our southern neighbours really have had it - and how many have it currently.   Yeah please keep the border closed for all non-essential travel.  

Wouldn’t want to have to have this mans job and the tens of thousands like him that keep the supply chain going so we can eat and buy TP or whatever we want.   It’s unbelievable how so little has really changed on that front ... that said if I did I would be proud to do it and not waver one bit.    Consumers  haven’t suffered much (yet) on that front at all.    And Canadians have been absolutely spoiled compared to the US and many other countries too.

Been born in Canada is like winning the lottery - that’s an actual quote by a group of  marines (US of course that’s their nomenclature) I met having a holiday in Whistler 20 or so years ago in the middle of winter in a hot tub.  We spent most of the week together and were like peas in a pod.  They had travelled all over the world - and were vocally

jealous of our system saying it was the best they’d ever seen.    It grates me quite a bit when I see overly critical statements about how things are here ... yes we pay more taxes - but it’s not that hard to make a living.   Takes a little gusto but not much.   And we are extremely well taken care of.  Very  grateful  for it - and get to eat all the prawns we want.    For some perspective two overweight Canadian officers were also in the hot tub - complaining about this and that about whatever Canadian current events were going on at the time - and were shut right down when one of the marines spoke up and said “being born in Canada is like winning the lottery” and went on to explain why.    Seems like a half dozen  or so on this site just look to quote anyone who’s excited about hockey coming back just so they can write about how it can unravel any day.  Everyone knows that.   But we as Canadians haven’t come close to experiencing what is happening down there - and should be thanking God or whomever every single day for that.   And there is enough gloom and doom whenever you go to the news channel since this began.  2020 is the first year in a long time that something has happened that effects the entire planet.  Since world war 2 really.  If you’re so concerned about it go and volunteer - do some contact tracing - deliver meals to the homeless.   Don’t make it worse by constantly pointing out the obvious and lowering morale.  We are lucky to live where we do including  Quebec and Ont.   Top medical care available at our fingertips and it won’t cost half our house to do it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

He has been skating in Kelowna during the pandemic on private ice during the crisis. He went out for a drink and what’s the big deal? A lot of guys go to clubs they are entitled to a life too. Patrick Kane goes out all the time and he is just fine. People now a days are so sensitive to other people these days. 

Be careful or you might by called out for being insensitive for bringing that up.  I’m sure you just ruined someone’s day and now they need another flex day to recover - can just envision the sputtering - breathing short shallow breaths - typing fast and deleting and then typing again - maybe getting choked up about it and stalking  around the house and sharing it with others looking for approval - having a break down and wishing the minus button still existed getting keyed in from previous Gaurdian “trauma” on this site - maybe even peeing their pants a little by accident.  

Ok maybe I went  too far but really this is a hockey site where’s the hockey talk? you know who you are - not hard to tell who’s doing that - and who’s been swept into the off-topic Covid wormhole and found a safe place to express their viewpoint about that (and I forgive you all for doing that it’s ok-but maybe reflect a little please - some of us come here to get our hockey fix and not all the noise associated with it the last few months).  

Yeah we all get it.   And Covid does blur the lines can’t help to do it these days.  That said there has been some great threads (thanks AJ!!) along the way and the amount of participants was kind of terrible really given this is a hockey site with thousands of members.   Maybe leave some of the Covid talk to Facebook or whatever rocks your boat.   BTW this is one of the more logical response’a I’ve seen - keep it up and thanks for posting.   JV isn’t going to decimate our team with Covid - come on people / he’s going to score some clutch goals and make some great hits.   Worse case he’s tested positive at arrival and has to isolate good grief. 

Edited by IBatch

Canucks will be hard-pressed to re-sign everyone in a year or two, including Virtanen who is due for a raise. What kind of return could they get for Jake? 

2nd and a prospect?

I'd rather they re-sign Toffoli and Tanev, and give Markstrom what he deserves. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks will be hard-pressed to re-sign everyone in a year or two, including Virtanen who is due for a raise. What kind of return could they get for Jake? 

2nd and a prospect?

I feel like trading Virtanen would not be a smart move. The cap situation looks scary, but we just need to get to next summer and things should start to look better. Next summer sees Baer, Spooner's retention, Jordie Benn, Sutter and Pearson's contracts all potentially gone. Pearson would be nice to keep in that 4mil range. But if need be can let go if his ask is too high, which I am sure he is looking at the landscape and may keep his asking price low to stay on a up and coming team in a very safe province. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

2nd and a prospect?

I'd rather they re-sign Toffoli and Tanev, and give Markstrom what he deserves. 

Maybe dig a little deeper into Toffoli’s stats and it might change your mind.   He’s 28, in his prime and a 4 year deal looks like a fair deal.  Funny thing is if you do a deep dive into both players stats the are producing at a similar rate based on ice time.   TT’s shooting percentage was 40% above his average since coming to Vancouver / can’t expect that to stay up.    What will JV do over the next four years or so?  It’s extremely rare for a forward to breakout at his age where as JV is ripe for a breakout he’s right at the age it usually happens.. and might have already done that this year (he’s at the right age)... 20/20 bottom six guys are worth their weight in gold.   Both guys have clutch abilities too.  It wouldn’t be the end of the world if we gave up on him and think the ask is bang on.   That said I’m not convinced we’d be better off with TT.   Wonder what JV could manage with 17 mins of ice time on the top line and the first PP unit.   10 points in 10 games doesn’t seem like a stretch / heck he did it this year when he was given the chance....or was it 14 in 14 ...  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

Jake Virtanen has a ton of potential, but its his off ice stuff that concerns me. Whether it's coming to camp overweight, or taking selfies while driving, or not protecting himself and others, while at a strip club during a pandemic. I think he's selfish. We never hear of local boy done good by donating a bunch of money to the Children's Hospital or lending his time for other charities. I'm not buying the "he's young" excuse anymore. Time to be a pro, Quinn and Petey making him look bad lol        

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jake Virtanen has a ton of potential, but its his off ice stuff that concerns me. Whether it's coming to camp overweight, or taking selfies while driving, or not protecting himself and others, while at a strip club during a pandemic. I think he's selfish. We never hear of local boy done good by donating a bunch of money to the Children's Hospital or lending his time for other charities. I'm not buying the "he's young" excuse anymore. Time to be a pro, Quinn and Petey making him look bad lol        

His off ice stuff is none of your concern. He has had a really good season. Clearly what he does in his spare time is not effecting his on ice play. I don't care he came to camp overweight, cause from game 1 of the games that matter he looked solid and had a very good season overall. You "think" he's selfish so we should trade him? This goes back to people making assumptions about a guy because he isn't Trevor Linden or Henrik Sedin or cause he doesn't sit in his bedroom 24/7 bathing in hand sanitizer or something. 

Would it be more ideal he does nothing and never goes anywhere or talk to anyone? Sure. But that's unrealistic to ask of anyone. Boeser came to camp slower than last season. Nobody bats an eye that he wasn't in perfect game shape at camp and was sluggish to start the season. Yes, it would be nice if Jake came into camp in perfect condition, but as long as he is fit to do his job in games that count that's all that matters to me. And he was. When this team got hit with injuries he was scoring a point per game rate on Bo's line.  

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

His off ice stuff is none of your concern. He has had a really good season. Clearly what he does in his spare time is not effecting his on ice play. I don't care he came to camp overweight, cause from game 1 of the games that matter he looked solid and had a very good season overall. You "think" he's selfish so we should trade him? This goes back to people making assumptions about a guy because he isn't Trevor Linden or Henrik Sedin or cause he doesn't sit in his bedroom 24/7 bathing in hand sanitizer or something. 

Would it be more ideal he does nothing and never goes anywhere or talk to anyone? Sure. But that's unrealistic to ask of anyone. Boeser came to camp slower than last season. Nobody bats an eye that he wasn't in perfect game shape at camp and was sluggish to start the season. Yes, it would be nice if Jake came into camp in perfect condition, but as long as he is fit to do his job in games that count that's all that matters to me. And he was. When this team got hit with injuries he was scoring a point per game rate on Bo's line.  

Its easy to say that his off ice private life is "none of our concern".  JV represents the Canucks and the team has an image to uphold.  Whether you agree with it or not, players are seen as role models (I personally think that your parents should be your role models).  Conduct outside of hockey can very much affect the team.  We are talking millions of $$ here.  Some of you are saying its his private life, leave him alone.  Well why is he taking selfies of himself?  again the question is if he wants complete privacy, then he must know that there is a chance that it becomes public whether he wants it or not.  Don't think anyone here is spreading any rumors or vicious lies about him or is following him around trying to create some sort of story.

Edited by coho8888
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

Well why is he taking selfies of himself?

The younger folk are into social media. It is a generational thing, and older people just will not or can not understand that.

New world out there, accept, adapt or get passed by.

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

The younger folk are into social media. It is a generational thing, and older people just will not or can not understand that.

New world out there, accept, adapt or get passed by.

Oh, i'm well aware of that.  I have a teen aged daughter.  But really we are told here to mind our own business.  Pretty tough when its recorded and posted on the internet.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

You lose a lot of the privilege that comes with anonymity as a professional athlete. You have to best version of yourself, whenever there is a camera pointed at you, something the average Joe does not have to worry about. It isn't supposed to be easy, and sacrifices have to be made. That's what Linden and the Sedins embodied in their time here, they sacrificed for their teammates and in turn became examples for the rest of the organization to live up to. Jake has been here long enough now that he should be one of the leaders in that lockerroom and not a guy that the organization has to publicly address, whether it be because of this video or his fitness. 

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I feel like trading Virtanen would not be a smart move. The cap situation looks scary, but we just need to get to next summer and things should start to look better. Next summer sees Baer, Spooner's retention, Jordie Benn, Sutter and Pearson's contracts all potentially gone. Pearson would be nice to keep in that 4mil range. But if need be can let go if his ask is too high, which I am sure he is looking at the landscape and may keep his asking price low to stay on a up and coming team in a very safe province. 

I think you are neglecting to account for paying two superstars after next season that in pre-Covid says would have eaten up $18-20 million.

Also, barring something significant happening, we will have $3-4 million in ELC overages from next season pushing into the same season we will have to pay up for Petterson and Hughes.

So BC health officials think it’s ok to reopen. Instead of blaming them and their policies, we blame a young hockey player for lawfully going to a bar. What’s the difference between Jake going to the club than day a random dude going to the club? Is Jake held to a higher standard just because he plays in the NHL? This is just wrong. 

My personal choice would be to not go to the club in the pandemic. That’s just me, I also go out with a mask. A lot of people don’t. I bet most of you here criticizing Jake also don’t wear a mask. Let’s not kid ourselves here 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I dont think it was a strip club, and he did donate 200 000 back to the Canucks autism network. But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story! Also Jakes a little slow this shouldnt suprise anyone by now. It doesnt mean hes a bad guy. Its not like he exposed himself to a security guard like Matthews, or groped a cop like Giroux. He never broke any laws and maybe he needed this for his mental health after being cooped up since March! I know I could use a night out with the boys. Also doesnt he usually have a charity golf tournament in the summer?

Edited by Jtutino
  • Upvote 3