The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

So , dr Henry's suggestions he ignored dont mean anything? It's just another example of bad judgment.  Ya , there are places you can go now,  and to keep everyone safe , there are safe practices asked of people when they go there. With his history of immaturity,  you would think the kid would be smart enough to at least follow safety protocols to avoid looking like an idiot again. Like seriously , with ur history you picks nightclub,  and do nothing in the way saftey measures suggested? That to me is immaturity. It's more then Virtanen going to a club.  It's the overweight camps , and all the inconsistent on ice effort that adds up to why it points to a bigger problem with this pick they made. 

If he comes to camp out of shape then maybe it's worth discussing, until then it's a non issue.

• Cheers 1

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

If he comes to camp out of shape then maybe it's worth discussing, until then it's a non issue.

I think you are missing the point here.  I don't think its about his shape that's the concern.  The fact that we had an issue already with Brandi's shows the potential for problems at these clubs.  If we didn't have a pandemic I don't think many would care.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

who cares family guy GIF

Quite embarrassing that players can’t have a little fun without ridiculed by their own fan base :picard:. He went to a nightclub like every other 23 year old does. Stop making this such a big issue when really, it’s not an issue at all. 

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, Pears said:

who cares family guy GIF

Quite embarrassing that players can’t have a little fun without ridiculed by their own fan base :picard:. He went to a nightclub like every other 23 year old does. Stop making this such a big issue when really, it’s not an issue at all. 

The point here is that these "Clubs" are trying to operate under Restaurant rules even though they are still providing club like activities.  Its not about him having fun.  I could give a rats ass what he does if we didn't have a Pandemic.  These clubs are at a higher risk for infections.  Understand?  You think the Canucks are happy about this?  The optics are not good.  He's a pro athlete making good money and yes they are held to a higher standard.

• Cheers 3

I remember being young and stupid. Not the easiest thing to be locked up and everyone’s eye is on you when you step out of your house. Hope he’s ready for hockey. That’s all I care about as a fan

• Cheers 1

Mountain out of a molehill imo. Sure, he could have made a smarter decision about where he went but given how well BC's currently doing he's not the only one out and about. He's also young, I'm sure as hell glad I didn't have media constantly surveying me when I was doing dumb $&!# in my early 20's. 

As a Canuck he's got the media spotlight on him though, trying to catch him in unflattering scenarios. 

At least he wasn't caught with cocaine or something like Kuznetsov. 

Edited by Coconuts

Optics certainly aren't good. But I tend to agree its being blown out of proportion as Virtanen is allowed to do this.

Do I think he still has some growing up too do? Of course. He's 23, and a star (fame-wise) in his hometown, its to be expected in all honesty. I'm sure Brock Boeser was out on his boat, on the lake, with his friends. I'm sure precise social distancing & mask wearing isn't being followed there and no one's raised that as an issue. 

If you wanna talk bigger picture re-Virtanen; maybe being here & having all the notoriety is holding him back from being as good as he could be? I have time for that idea, but I don't like coming down on him for being a normal 23 year old when he's within his right to do what he was doing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

The point here is that these "Clubs" are trying to operate under Restaurant rules even though they are still providing club like activities.  Its not about him having fun.  I could give a rats ass what he does if we didn't have a Pandemic.  These clubs are at a higher risk for infections.  Understand?  You think the Canucks are happy about this?  The optics are not good.  He's a pro athlete making good money and yes they are held to a higher standard.

Because they are allowed to. If they weren’t they wouldn’t have been allowed to reopen. Simple. I don’t see the uproar about Hughes going out to eat because he doesn’t cook. Vancouver is literally the only city who treats its hockey players like this.

• Thanks 1

Leave Brittany alone. I think people forget that hockey players are human beings too. Not just hockey robots built to entertain us. Kid is probably just having one last hurrah before entering quarantine bubble stand down. I'm more concerned with that growth on his upper lip that is a very poor display of decision making.

• Haha 1

Saw the video on Ctv news.  Not really great for his case.  Not much social distancing going on and lots of yelling and hollering.  Are his friends part of his social bubble?  Frankly from what I saw these places should be shut down.  Not anything close to being a restaurant experience.  Both Quinn and Elias are back and have already been on the ice.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Because they are allowed to. If they weren’t they wouldn’t have been allowed to reopen. Simple. I don’t see the uproar about Hughes going out to eat because he doesn’t cook. Vancouver is literally the only city who treats its hockey players like this.

You should watch the video.  About as far from a restaurant as you can get.  And it’s BS that you think the fans are especially hard on him. 

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

So it’s ok to open under a loophole with little intention of following through?  Brandi’s anyone?

I saw him a couple years ago while I was at Republic night club during the NHL All-Star break. I was going to the bar to get a drink and there he was. He was just leaving with a girl, we had a quick chat, shook hands then he left. It was a flabbergasting experience though IDK if I should be surprised, I have heard stories about some NHLers at the Roxxy.

3 minutes ago, the grinder said:

Would this be such a big deal if he was at restaurant downtown  instead ?  since you can't really eat or drink with a mask on  lol. is that really safer than being at a nightclub , 

Yep because in a downtown restaurant you are not allowed to freely roam around to other tables, yell and sing and dance around not social distancing