The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

7 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Not sure you can make that claim.  Are we passionate fans?  Sure.  Any more so than Montreal or Toronto?  Hard to say.  I generally find the fan base here to be supportive of its players unless that player does something to lose their support.  Pretty cut and dry.  Normally I really dont care what a player does in his own personal time.  When I see them away from the game, I’m not one to run up to them to ask for an autograph.  I generally leave them alone.  But again this is a pandemic we are in.  Not the time to be clubbing no matter who you are.

If someone like Dr. Bonnie Henry says clubs are allowed to be open, then they’re allowed to be open. He isn’t breaking any laws here. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

If someone like Dr. Bonnie Henry says clubs are allowed to be open, then they’re allowed to be open. He isn’t breaking any laws here. 

Bonnie Henry never allowed clubs to open.  These clubs are skirting the law by repurposing themselves as restaurants/pubs.  Clubbing activities are still going on.  I predict that Brandis won’t be the only place to be shut down.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Bonnie Henry never allowed clubs to open.  These clubs are skirting the law by repurposing themselves as restaurants/pubs.  Clubbing activities are still going on.  I predict that Brandis won’t be the only place to be shut down.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/canada/british-columbia/article-no-dance-floor-but-dancing-by-yourself-is-fine-as-bc-lifts/

BACB4B95-1C35-4FFE-96DC-FA8E5F2DFE16.png

8C28E4ED-1F1C-4965-96CB-436820830E74.png

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

The key word there is “allowed to open as lounges” not as nightclubs.  A place where a small group can go and have drinks.  Clubbing is entirely different.  If you watched the video, there was more tan just sitting around having drinks.

I'd obviously prefer if he wasn't going clubbing, but to think he's the only one in the league doing so is being willfully ignorant.  It's not a good decision but he didn't break any laws or league rules, so ultimately it's up to the team regarding how to handle this.  I suspect Greener will make him regret it once camp opens.

• Cheers 4

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:

There is a reason he is constantly singled out. 

Because some people are jealous of his success and life path thus far?

3 hours ago, Pears said:

Because they are allowed to. If they weren’t they wouldn’t have been allowed to reopen. Simple. I don’t see the uproar about Hughes going out to eat because he doesn’t cook. Vancouver is literally the only city who treats its hockey players like this.

Thank you Pears.

How many Vegas golden knights players have been to the script clubs in that city?

Anonymity at it's finest.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

He"ll be rightfully admonished by the team, he should get daily reports from Reid Boucher on what it's like playing in Russia and maybe that will wake his ass up.  Ditch your 'worse crew ever' entourage and act like a professional athlete or you just might not be one for long.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

tre mac and guntrix no offense but  people have lives and can do as they please  they arent here to be your lil slaves all these covid people spewing  rules and stuff going to a bar is no different than going to a grocery store or restaurant. If it wasnt safe they wouldnt be open we arent the states where covid is outta control id worry more about  alaskans vacationing in bc than a kid having a brew at a bar  stop acting like control freaks its pathetic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Nothing wrong with this at all. The club is under restrictions, this is the same as going to a cactus club. 

Dr.Bonnie Henry says it's ok its ok,

Many people forget that a lot of these players are young adults.

Having social lives is a very big deal for them.

Our governing body has said it's ok and I'm good with it.

The team is exercising extreme caution when it comes to addressing the virus. He is going to be tested before he joins the team.

Hockey players are in extremely good health these days.

As long as protocols are followed, in the event he or any other player gets it, they should emerge from it without problems.

I think there's also a double standard here. 

Kesler was pretty notorious for womanizing, and clubbing. ( I have co-workers who witnessed this), yet no one bashed him. 

Meanwhile, Cody Hodgson was teased by Kesler for being so straight laced. 

A lot of fans were willing to overlook Kassian's issues, even when it was threatening his life and career. 

Jake seems to be thriving when Miller got here. And JT has been through the same things that Jake has. Jake hasn't been demanding, he has been a good teammate 

since the team drafted him. I think fans put him under the microscope because of his draft position. 

• Cheers 3

On the one hand, part of me is saying he is irresponsible, and should just lay low for a while.

However, he’s young, single, millionaire athlete, who is about to be enclosed in a bubble in downtown Edmonton for weeks. I can see why he might throw caution to the wind a couple of times before that. And I’m sure there are many young NHL-ers around the league doing the same or similar (at least Vancouver is less risky than most cities). 

One thing that concerns me about Jake is not that he does what he does, but that he continually gets caught red-handed. 

Edited by D-Money

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

On the one hand, part of me is saying he is irresponsible, and should just lay low for a while.

However, he’s young, single, millionaire athlete, who is about to be enclosed in a bubble in downtown Edmonton for weeks. I can see why he might throw caution to the wind a couple of times before that. And I’m sure there are many young NHL-ers around the league doing the same or similar (at least Vancouver is less risky than most cities). 

One thing that concerns me about Jake is not that he does what he does, but that he continually gets caught red-handed. 

He's a nice guy, but I don't think he's a rocket scientist. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

lol the lack of basic medical knowledge and nonsense posts on here, how is this not important? Virtanen can easily be inflected by COVID19, be an asymptomatic spreader and infect the whole team. As his Canucks teammate, do you want to practice with a guy who just partied at a nightclub a few days ago? 

18 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol the lack of basic medical knowledge and nonsense posts on here, how is this not important? Virtanen can easily be inflected by COVID19, be an asymptomatic spreader and infect the whole team. As his Canucks teammate, do you want to practice with a guy who just partied at a nightclub a few days ago? 

I'm pretty sure every member of the team will be tested before they enter the bubble when training camp starts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

tre mac and guntrix no offense but  people have lives and can do as they please  they arent here to be your lil slaves all these covid people spewing  rules and stuff going to a bar is no different than going to a grocery store or restaurant. If it wasnt safe they wouldnt be open we arent the states where covid is outta control id worry more about  alaskans vacationing in bc than a kid having a brew at a bar  stop acting like control freaks its pathetic. 

They can "do as they please"...but it may come with consequences for their actions.

It's is different than a grocery store...which provides basic "needs".   

We will quickly become the States if we start acting like them.  There's a reason we're doing well....it's not magic fairy dust.  Hold the line.