The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Just now, canuktravella said:

thing is we arent the states and bc has 4 people in icu not a 1000. im pretty sure virtanen is fine he can do as he pleases  hes not there for fans to bark orders at them. No difference in quinn hughes going to restaurants  give me a break

again the comparison with eating at a restaurant and Clubbing at a nightclub.  Two very different things.  Sure no guarantees of social distancing at both but not really fair to compare the two.  

Were the 4 infected at Brandi's sure they didn't have it?  Could have potentially caused a larger outbreak setting us back.  

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If people really have a problem with this then write your government officials. That’s who your beef is with. 

Virtanen wasn’t doing anything that Dr.Henry or the NHL has said are against the rules during this phase.

If you have a problem with it simply because it’s Virtanen, then you should check your bias.

He doesn't have to answer to the law or us, I agree.  Just his teammates. 

ya  im sure any other team will take him 36 points 18 goals  18 apples getting only getting 13:05 toi kid should be playing 23 mins a game drives play  i bet he gets offer sheeted    only  nhl team in nhl where the fans constantly crap on a hard working player    as for  him showing up out of shape  at camp howd that work out o ya he had his best season yet gtfo  

See the bolded.  You should verify with Green who the hard working players on the team are.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

But again, he isn’t breaking any laws so I don’t see why people need to be so upset about it. 

The virus cannot be contained without a vaccine. The economy cannot stay shutdown - jobs are a risk and it creates all sorts of other issues.  It's a balancing act between public safety and the economy.  Opening up is not risk free though.

Going to restaurants, out clubbing, even spending time with friends is not covid risk free.  It's not the same environment as pre-pandemic.   Anyone a player gets in contact with, might be infected including friends, and the only thing a player can really control is his behaviour to limit exposure.

Dr Henry this week says she expects everyone in BC to wear a mask. It's not mandatory yet but not wearing a mask is a health risk. *

At the early phase of contamination, testing is not always sensitive enough to indicate that a person is a carrier of the virus. Players can start skating with their teammates after getting tested negative but there is the situation where contamination is not yet visible on the testing results - a false negative is possible.

The most delicate phase of this return to play is now.  To preserve the bubble of the hub cities players need to enter phase 4 virus free.  There's no guarantee of that.  It relies on players being responsible and not putting themselves at risk outside of the rink.  The virus can be caught at any time and testing might not reveal it immediately.

Burnside last week said that multiple executives expressed concerns about players being responsible throughout the return to play.  He says that teams have had trouble enforcing safe behaviour outside of the rink.  A GM even admitted that teams are frustrated.  They are spending a lot of time and money to set up these protocols and players put themselves at risk away from the rink.  There's also concern about the players' social circle where friends and people close to them might not be following strict social distancing and could end up putting the player at risk.

He was not breaking the law but the Canucks saw the need to address it with him.  The return to plan hinges on players not just respecting the law but going beyond to stay virus free.  The virus doesn't care about the law - it will spread regardless of what the law says.  

* https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/dr-henry-expects-british-columbians-to-be-wearing-masks-1.5633657

There may not be a law forcing British Columbians to wear masks indoors, but Dr. Bonnie Henry doesn't want that to be an excuse for not wearing one, especially when physical distancing isn't possible.

"I do wear a mask myself and I encourage, and I recommend, strongly, that others do as well," the province's medical officer said during Tuesday's COVID-19 briefing.

Henry says the province has stopped short of mandating the use of masks out of concern for those who would have difficulty wearing one.

"There are some people for whom mask wearing is not a viable option," she said. "(Such as) anyone for whom it is difficult to take it on on themselves, young children, people with disabilities, it can very much a challenge."

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

thing is we arent the states and bc has 4 people in icu not a 1000. im pretty sure virtanen is fine he can do as he pleases  hes not there for fans to bark orders at. No difference in quinn hughes going to restaurants  give me a break

We could well become the States if we're not careful.  It's only by doing things differently and learning from their mistakes that we will keep this thing contained.

Again....he can do as he pleases.  So can we.

And there's a difference in going to a restaurant as we all need to eat.  We don't need to club.

But ... over it.  Those who don't really get the magnitude of this virus likely won't but it's sad that that could jeopardize the rest of us.

22 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Ease off the guy y’all will be gushing over him  when he’s laying guys out during the play ins

We can still do that, even if we don't agree with what he's doing?

Don't see how one somehow dictates the other.

21 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

not much difference bud    all these covid communists  barking orders  if u dont like it stay at home 

So, on the one hand Jake has the right to do whatever he wants.

On the other hand, we have to stay home?   Don't bark orders at us...seems fair?

Anyhow....we're not barking orders...we're giving our opinions.  And that's allowed.  I have stayed home because it's what we've been told to do....but when I'm out at the store for essentials I'd like to feel as safe as possible.  It's the people not buying into covid who put that at risk.  

• Upvote 1

One day I hope Jake realize's he's not like us, where it's okay to go out for a drink during a pandemic. He's a professional athlete who needs to set a better example for the youth, the kids that look up to him. This does not look good. What's next with Jake? Drinking and driving while taking a selfie? Grow up dude, just do what the younger Hughes and Pettersson are doing. And if you can't, then get to a meeting.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

nope.  other players are doing this:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-canucks-report/c-317302768

Don't think Jake has joined the team yet even though he didn't have to travel thousands of miles to get here.

That is the worst defence of his behaviour possible :)

He has been local but hasn’t bothered to start skating yet like his team mates have... but instead is out partying.

I assumed he was at practice even though I only saw Toffoli, Hughes, Petterson, Fabtenberg, Stecher, And Tanev in the videos.

never said nazi  until  u called me a trumpster but  telling some one how they have to act is very fascist and communistic .  im sure jake will be fine hes  a soldier    canucks dont even really deserve him  he will get signed  longterm  somewhere hes build for playoffs

lets agree to disagree.  Not meaning to insult you by calling you a trumpster.  just do not agree with your stance on the severity of this pandemic.  I am not telling Jake how to act or what to do.  He's free to do whatever he wants.  This is a discussion group and we are free to give our thoughts and views on the topics at hand.  

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is the worst defence of his behaviour possible :)

He has been local but hasn’t bothered to start skating yet like his team mates have... but instead is out partying.

I assumed he was at practice even though I only saw Toffoli, Hughes, Petterson, Fabtenberg, Stecher, And Tanev in the videos.

For those that watched the CTV News at 11:30, it surely put Jake in very bad light.  They showed the interview with Quinn on what he was doing during the time off (getting stronger to prepare for the play downs)  feels he would be able to handle the playoffs better.  Then they showed videos of Pettersson and other Canucks on the ice.  Right after that, they showed the video of Jake at the club.  I don't necessarily agree that CTV should have aired it the way they did though.

Edited by coho8888

At the end of April Jake was quoted as saying

“Vancouver has done a good job with social distancing and health-care workers are amazing,” Virtanen said Friday morning. “This is just a hard time that we’re going to get through. We don’t want to force coming back to the season while this is going on. It’s a lot bigger than hockey.

“The NHL obviously wants to hand out the Stanley Cup and we all love hockey and want to be playing but, at the same time, this is more important. We have to make sure we get over the hump and make sure everyone is healthy. This is complicated and we have to be smart about it.”

Now this contradiction, Will the real JV stand up?

Maybe he wants to play, maybe it's just not hockey he wants to play now?

Maybe why he let a friend post, so he won't have too?, some of his teammates contacted him, he can do as he pleases outside of a pandemic, but his earlier concerns, should still be the same, the virus is still alive and worse in places not protecting as well.

Yes Dr Bonnie opened bars (probably something she didn't want too) but she still had guidelines for it

To those who say let Jake live a little, maybe it will only be a "little while" to him, his family and his friends or teammates if he gets infected. You can't compare pre 2020 to today, decisions you make today, can have drastic consequences on other peoples lives now and not just your own. I know of someone dying from Covid19

There is a war on Covid19, 

In past wars, young people like JV would be going off to war in the world

As bad as this is COVID is, it is still better than what past generations of young people had to go through

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Here's a guy who's had this:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7131669/tom-hanks-coronavirus-masks/?utm_source=GlobalBC&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0qSMoBIRi_lQsxfug6hCNUDzkDOj-0x5slE1Z-8-FCIXTpW6kuiGhS1_k

Tom Hanks is speaking out about the importance of the COVID-19 protocols during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The Oscar-winning actor, who recovered from COVID-19 after announcing in early March that he and his wife had tested positive for the disease caused by coronavirus, spoke about the importance of wearing a mask during a press conference promoting his new movie, Greyhound.

“There’s really only three things we can do in order to get to tomorrow: Wear a mask, social distance, wash our hands,” Hanks said Tuesday.

“Those things are so simple, so easy, if anybody cannot find it in themselves to practice those three very basic things – I just think shame on you. Don’t be a p—y. Get on with it, do your part. It’s very basic. If you’re driving a car, you don’t go too fast, you use your turn signal and you avoid hitting pedestrians. My Lord, it’s common sense,” Hanks said, according to People....

In April, Hanks and Wilson donated their blood to help medical researchers develop a vaccine to fight the coronavirus.

• Cheers 1

Quick it’s been a while we need to find find a reason to criticize him for doing what’s been deemed ok for everyone else.

The club was open - yes

laws were broken - no 

he was quarantined - no 

did he break Nhl team or organization protocols —I don’t think so..  so the Writer and people upset know better  Than everyone else...... 

only place this gets a story Vancouver.

sorry but this the immaturity is the the sad sack who though this required a story. 
Media Making this guy the villain and the the sheeple flock to the trough to eat it up. 
is he fat, out of shape and unprepared to go in two weeks if so  then there’s a problem. What he does on his time is his business when No crimes Or unlawfulness are committed. 

Edited by Tracksuit