The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) - Meier for Boeser

Still trying to improve the team..."MY WAY" LOL

But seriously, moving some young RW for some young LW would be a good idea and one less thing to have to fix.

I also think Meier is a more aggressive player, and much more JT Miller ish than Boeser, who is more just scorer

Both cost about the same, and Meier is locked up 1 more year

Who adds and what?

Edited by janisahockeynut

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Still trying to improve the team..."MY WAY" LOL

But seriously, moving some young RW for some young LW would be a good idea and one less thing to have to fix.

I also think Meier is a more aggressive player, and much more JT Miller ish than Boeser, who is more just scorer

Both cost about the same, and Meier is locked up 1 more year

Who adds and what?

Don't forget that the qualifying offer to Meier at the end of his current contract is $10M...........change your mind?

As @PierreVLeBrun reported, Timo Meier's new deal will be 4 x $6M. Definitely worth noting that the final year of Meier's deal will be $10M. Which would make his QO in 2023 also $10M. So it could end up being a 5 year deal at $34M.
Edited by Rick Blight

Just now, Rick Blight said:

Don't forget that the qualifying offer to Meier at the end of his current contract is $10M...........change your mind.

As @PierreVLeBrun reported, Timo Meier's new deal will be 4 x $6M. Definitely worth noting that the final year of Meier's deal will be $10M. Which would make his QO in 2023 also $10M. So it could end up being a 5 year deal at $34M.

Maybe! :wub::picard:

But maybe they take Boeser, Eriksson and Demko?

They have

Karlsson 11.5 Million for 7 more years

Couture  8.0 Million for 7 more years

Burns 8.0 Million for 5 more years

Vlasic 7.00 Million for 6 more years

Kane 7.00 Million for 5 more years

Makes you wonder if Meier is affordable for San Jose

We would be pretty good with the cap raising by that time, and all the big contracts signed by then. Not to mention Miller turning 30 and a UFA at that time.

Horvat is in the mix too, but Meier is a nice piece and still tradable for 3 more years and still an RFA at the end.

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

They have

We would be pretty good with the cap raising by that time, and all the big contracts signed by then. Not to mention Miller turning 30 and a UFA at that time.

Horvat is in the mix too, but Meier is a nice piece and still tradable for 3 more years and still an RFA at the end.

I don't think he will be affordable unless they can dump some of those contracts you have noted. I like Meier as a player but I just don't see us wanting him at $10M per year. I also do not see San Jose taking on Eriksson's contract when they are in a win now mode because of those same contracts you noted.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The qualifying offer for Meier makes him a big no-go in my mind.

Pretty much this. Unless he absolutely tears it up over the next number of years there's no way he's worth 10m. No point in trading for an asset you're going to have to try and trade later or just walk away from. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

The qualifying offer for Meier makes him a big no-go in my mind.

I did not realize his price tag, when I made the thread.......(I did know and forgot! ....Old age!)

But, still.......I think it matters where the brass project where top players contracts will be in 4 years.....

I do realize there is a freeze, but if the TV revenue comes in quicker then what they think, then the players will want part of that, pushing up the price

I do think 10 million is too much...but maybe we should be looking at a player something like that for the left side

I honestly think Boeser is the guy to go...how and for what remains to be seen

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

They have

Most of their core players are nearing the end of their prime years. Couture, Kane, and Karlsson are in late 20's, early 30's. Vlasic and Burns are mid 30's although I guess they are still good at what the do (Vlasic is a still an upgraded version of Tanev and Burns is still scoring at a decent rate).

I'm doubtful if they can rebound next season and make the playoffs but it doesn't look like their management is ready to give up contending, after all they made it to the WCF just last season. So, I don't think they will agree to take on Eriksson's contract let alone give up Meier in the process just for Boeser and Demko. The minimum ask for taking Eriksson's contract is probably a first rounder. So it would have to be Boeser + Demko + 1st + Eriksson for Meier? 

But I do agree that Meier would upgrade our LW and if not for that weird contract structure, 1-on-1 trade with Boeser is worth considering.

5 hours ago, khay said:

Most of their core players are nearing the end of their prime years. Couture, Kane, and Karlsson are in late 20's, early 30's. Vlasic and Burns are mid 30's although I guess they are still good at what the do (Vlasic is a still an upgraded version of Tanev and Burns is still scoring at a decent rate).

I'm doubtful if they can rebound next season and make the playoffs but it doesn't look like their management is ready to give up contending, after all they made it to the WCF just last season. So, I don't think they will agree to take on Eriksson's contract let alone give up Meier in the process just for Boeser and Demko. The minimum ask for taking Eriksson's contract is probably a first rounder. So it would have to be Boeser + Demko + 1st + Eriksson for Meier? 

But I do agree that Meier would upgrade our LW and if not for that weird contract structure, 1-on-1 trade with Boeser is worth considering.

Meier is more versatile than Boeser and it doesn't sound like the Sharks have changed their mind on him.  Don't see them interested in moving him.  Wilson lists him among their core players. 

Wilson implied that they could possibly move the 1st round pick they got in the Goodrow trade.   Doesn't sound like they care much for futures at this stage - they want to compete now and not wait for a pick to develop.  Demko and a 1st does nothing for their window and Eriksson limits it further.

Edited by mll

9 hours ago, mll said:

Meier is more versatile than Boeser and it doesn't sound like the Sharks have changed their mind on him.  Don't see them interested in moving him.  Wilson lists him among their core players. 

Wilson implied that they could possibly move the 1st round pick they got in the Goodrow trade.   Doesn't sound like they care much for futures at this stage - they want to compete now and not wait for a pick to develop.  Demko and a 1st does nothing for their window and Eriksson limits it further.

Considering how they only locked him up recently, it's far too soon for them to change their mind after an off year...

I could see them going through what the Canucks have been going through as the Sedins and other vets' careers were ending.  While they are good in trading, eventually no one's going to want their older, expensive vets and they won't have a Couture/ Pavelski waiting in the wings to take over roster spots (that was at least in part how they revamped so quickly last time), and if they flip their 1st that's just going to delay the inevitable.

Then again I'm not Wilson or the Sharks so they can mess themselves up -- I mean retool on the fly -- all they want.

Also no thanks to the $10 million Q.O.  Boeser hopefully takes another discount with us if he hasn't already been flipped for defensive help. 

Nope, can't be done....sorry.

In all seriousness....I don't know that people watch Brock as closely as they should.  He battles, hard on the boards for the puck...he doesn't just wait for it...I feel his injury and being away may require patience in seeing his full "worth".  He also has such chemistry and (already) a brotherhood with Petey I'd be hard pressed to mess with that.  Plus...who's got that kind of $$?  We have some expensive price tags in the works already and the money only goes so far so it's a real concern.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Money issues aside (which admittedly make this deal extremely unlikely to happen), I think this deal is a bit of a wash.  I really like Meier's game but I'm not sure I would say he's an upgrade over Boeser.  They are two very good players but with very different styles and skill sets.  The only way I see a deal ever happening (again, setting aside money issues) is if both were disgruntled young stars with conflicts with management.

If I was SJS and was actually seeking to trade Meier, then I would want at least a package with one or two very good prospects and a high pick.  Teams know that they're tight against the cap however so even if they were looking to trade him, it might be hard for them to find a taker.  It seems far more likely to me that Meier stays as part of their core moving forward and that they try to move one of their older players (but again, not sure what kind of market there would be).

9 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Money issues aside (which admittedly make this deal extremely unlikely to happen), I think this deal is a bit of a wash.  I really like Meier's game but I'm not sure I would say he's an upgrade over Boeser.  They are two very good players but with very different styles and skill sets.  The only way I see a deal ever happening (again, setting aside money issues) is if both were disgruntled young stars with conflicts with management.

If I was SJS and was actually seeking to trade Meier, then I would want at least a package with one or two very good prospects and a high pick.  Teams know that they're tight against the cap however so even if they were looking to trade him, it might be hard for them to find a taker.  It seems far more likely to me that Meier stays as part of their core moving forward and that they try to move one of their older players (but again, not sure what kind of market there would be).

They aren't looking to trade Meier.  They are looking to compete.  

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/31/sharks-gm-doug-wilson-talks-expectations-ek65-martin-jones-and-trade-deadline/

Still, Wilson believes he has the framework of a contending team, led by Couture, Hertl, wingers Evander Kane and Timo Meier and defensemen Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns and Marc-Edouard Vlasic. 

“To win in this league, I think you have to have a bit deeper of a core. I don’t think you can be carried by just one or two players.” Wilson said. “When you look at the positions those guys play, center, defense or power wingers, it allows you to bring in people around them. I think how we’ve dedicated our dollars is to the proper positions. We’ll have some opportunities to grow this team. 

“But I don’t think I look at it as a big an issue as (an outsider) would.” 

“People are entitled to their comments, but they don’t have the luxury of being within this group,” Wilson said. “When you don’t have the results, people may get frustrated.”

Stop trying to trade Boeser. Especially for a guy with a worse contract. His qualifying offer will be 10mil. Boeser has character, talent, and lots of room to grow still. He has known chemistry with both of our top 2 centers. Meier for all we know won't. Boeser is heart and soul. He may not crash and bang. But he plays hard. Fans need to stop trying to trade him. Unless the deal is unrealistically one sided towards us. Not a sideways move made for the sake of making a move.

• Vintage 1

Money aside

Although Meier and Boeser are both very good players, and both have 1st line capabilities, Meier is a tad better.......

But I wasn't going to a talent upgrade in this proposal

I was exchanging a RW for a LW at the elite level

And for the Canucks that makes sense.......not too sure it does for the Sharks

But IMO, it does not change SJ's win now focus, as again, the talent is very similar

On 7/10/2020 at 7:40 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I did not realize his price tag, when I made the thread.......(I did know and forgot! ....Old age!)

But, still.......I think it matters where the brass project where top players contracts will be in 4 years.....

I do realize there is a freeze, but if the TV revenue comes in quicker then what they think, then the players will want part of that, pushing up the price

I do think 10 million is too much...but maybe we should be looking at a player something like that for the left side

I honestly think Boeser is the guy to go...how and for what remains to be seen

The NHL and NHLPA have just agreed on a CBA extension that will be valid at least through 2025/26.  The cap will increase based on a formula.

The players owe a lot of money to the owners.  They are capping escrow at 20% for next season and have agreed on a declining scale.  They are still looking to achieve the 50-50 revenue split over time - players are only spreading their losses and still have to pay them back.  By their projections it could well take beyond 6 years before players have paid back their full share of the losses.  The cap is not going to increase by much till then.

The 2019/20 projection pre-pandemic was 4.8 billion.  Next season is not even expected to reach 3.3 billion.  The cap will stay mostly flat as long as revenue is below 4.8 billion.  There are some marginal adjustments built in but there's not going to be a massive leap in the cap for a while.

Edited by mll

20 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nope, can't be done....sorry.

In all seriousness....I don't know that people watch Brock as closely as they should.  He battles, hard on the boards for the puck...he doesn't just wait for it...I feel his injury and being away may require patience in seeing his full "worth".  He also has such chemistry and (already) a brotherhood with Petey I'd be hard pressed to mess with that.  Plus...who's got that kind of $$?  We have some expensive price tags in the works already and the money only goes so far so it's a real concern.

We traded Pete's best friend Jonathan Dahlen and it didn't make Pete whine and cry about.  These guys are all aware hockey trades happen and they adjust.  All part of the business. B)

• Cheers 1