The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) - Meier for Boeser

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

We traded Pete's best friend Jonathan Dahlen and it didn't make Pete whine and cry about.  These guys are all aware hockey trades happen and they adjust.  All part of the business. B)

I was waiting for someone to post that....

It isn't about "bff"...it's about on ice chemistry.  Dahlen didn't play with Petey in the NHL....Brock does.  And they've bonded on the bench and beyond so it's about the here and now.

I'm not saying he'd "whine and cry"...those are your words.  I'm saying he looks for him on the ice and vice versa.  And he is very "invested" as a teammate with his "brother" - his actions and own words have confirmed that.  So, while I don't think it would linger too long as I know Petey's professional and mature enough to work through it...do we really want him to have to?  These guys are just finding their groove.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I was waiting for someone to post that....

It isn't about "bff"...it's about on ice chemistry.  Dahlen didn't play with Petey in the NHL....Brock does.  And they've bonded on the bench and beyond so it's about the here and now.

I'm not saying he'd "whine and cry"...those are your words.  I'm saying he looks for him on the ice and vice versa.  And he is very "invested" as a teammate with his "brother" - his actions and own words have confirmed that.  So, while I don't think it would linger too long as I know Petey's professional and mature enough to work through it...do we really want him to have to?  These guys are just finding their groove.

Deb.........I love your Blue and green blood. 

But I am not sure, Brock was regularly playing with Pettersson when he came back, and IMO, Toffoli was a much better fit with Miller and Pettersson

That is not to say that Brock did not fit, only that Toffoli added to the line.................

I could be wrong?

43 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Deb.........I love your Blue and green blood. 

But I am not sure, Brock was regularly playing with Pettersson when he came back, and IMO, Toffoli was a much better fit with Miller and Pettersson

That is not to say that Brock did not fit, only that Toffoli added to the line.................

I could be wrong?

I believe you are correct.  He was playing 3rd line and 2nd line.  He still played 1st PP with Pete though.  I have to say that you and Deb are always pleasant to interact with.  Thanx for that.  B)

• Cheers 1

On 7/10/2020 at 1:40 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I did not realize his price tag, when I made the thread.......(I did know and forgot! ....Old age!)

But, still.......I think it matters where the brass project where top players contracts will be in 4 years.....

I do realize there is a freeze, but if the TV revenue comes in quicker then what they think, then the players will want part of that, pushing up the price

I do think 10 million is too much...but maybe we should be looking at a player something like that for the left side

I honestly think Boeser is the guy to go...how and for what remains to be seen

If BB is has to go for cap reasons ... I think we need to find a partner with a good RHD prospect who’s on an ELC to help carry us until next season at least cap wise... Bouchard or Dobson ... EDM is out (way too big a trade within our own division when we are both competitive now, plus they need Bouchard even more then we do) so maybe Dobson.   Otherwise I’d rather keep the status quo...and I don’t like the idea of trading BB at all.   Has Neely/Hull like potential regret written all over him.   

If TT doesn’t want to sign with us then BB shouldn’t even be a discussion.   We still have Ferland for 3 more years - Pearson for one and Bear for one and Roussel for one ... at least short term our left side is loaded enough.. and AG plays the left side when Sutter takes face offs... so he’s a LW/C just like Miller ....  

Personally doubt we can afford both TT and Pearson long term - so any trades should start with him (not a cap dump the best we could do without getting into a core player like BB)  his stock is high - and we have Ferland and Bear ... surely one of them could fill that role for one season while we see if Lind can make the jump....

Edited by IBatch

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 8:26 PM, Rick Blight said:

Don't forget that the qualifying offer to Meier at the end of his current contract is $10M...........change your mind?

As @PierreVLeBrun reported, Timo Meier's new deal will be 4 x $6M. Definitely worth noting that the final year of Meier's deal will be $10M. Which would make his QO in 2023 also $10M. So it could end up being a 5 year deal at $34M.

New CBA FYI

Qualifying Offers

In the previous CBA, for a team to keep the rights to a Restricted Free Agent, they were required to make an offer of 100% of their final year base salary (if the player made $1M +).  That led to some interesting contract structures, where the final year of the contract is much higher than the rest so that the RFA Qualifying Offer after the contract will be very high.

Take Timo Meier for Example, he signed a 4 year $6M Cap Hit, with a base salary of $10M in 2022-23, which is his final year before RFA status.

Meier

With this contract, San Jose must offer him a $10M salary in 2023 or he’ll become an Unrestricted Free Agent and they’ll lose his rights.

In the MOU 68, this changes. For contracts signed starting now, if the final year salary is more than 120% of the AAV/Cap Hit of the contract, then the Qualifying Offer required is only 120% of the AAV.  In Meier’s example, instead of a $10M contract offer, this contract would require a $7.2M Qualifying to retain his RFA rights. This serves to lower the Qualifying Offer and therefore potentially lowering the next contract.

• Cheers 1