The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

now that it's settled in more for me i don't think he will be traded the way i interpret this is we aren't actively shopping him more so if the right offer came along, and i am still only going to take this with a grain of salt, Sekeres isn't the most reliable guy to be saying this i think more so he is just trying to stir up the pot the timing of this is really weird if a trade were to happen why would they be talking about it now? You cant use who ever you acquired for him in the play ins i think Sekeres is just trying to cause a province to melt down which has worked 

Edited by CanucksCountry
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Always supported JB and he’s done some great things here but if this is true it will not turn out well. And will be a huge blow knowing that we traded a young kid with big goal scoring potential because we made too many bottom 6 signings. He should be able to figure out the cap another way as part of me believes this is Bs but I’ve been disappointed before from trading young players away

100% Agree.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Seems management was banking on the cap going up and it's not going to so now they got thier backs in the corner.

Good point. If it were me as much as  I wouldn’t like this situation either. I’d be trading another prospect or a package outside say our top 4 prospects and salary dump someone else. Let’s face it you put Brock on the block, there’s a chance we could be low balled knowing we are up against the cap

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah at most I see us getting back with a Risto/Dumba Is a mid 2nd/high 3rd or a prospect along those lines.

I would rather try to dump cap in the trade like Baer but I doubt a team would want to do that with a stagnant cap. 

Canucks tried to trade Baertschi as part of the Toffoli trade instead of upcoming UFA Schaller.  

Teams know that the Canucks are tight cap wise especially with the bonus overage and Pettersson / Hughes still on their ELCs next season.  It's going to cost assets to move those unwanted contracts. 

6 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

So based on the other tweet in which you haven't highlighted, this is no more than us discussing trading Boeser like we have over this entire past year even before he signed his contract. Trading Boeser is always an option in talks, that's not news, and especially not blown out of proportion once again like it has.

In discussions, all of those said players are also likely being discussed as trade options, but there's no headline for that.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

Canucks tried to trade Baertschi as part of the Toffoli trade instead of upcoming UFA Schaller.  

Teams know that the Canucks are tight cap wise especially with the bonus overage and Pettersson / Hughes still on their ELCs next season.  It's going to cost assets to move those unwanted contracts. 

I bet there are 15-20 GM's who'll be forced into hard compromises..it's no tragedy for Van(relatively speaking).

Balanced out by the fact that over the past 5 yrs we've possibly been the best drafting-team(at least top-3).

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So based on the other tweet in which you haven't highlighted, this is no more than us discussing trading Boeser like we have over this entire past year even before he signed his contract. Trading Boeser is always an option in talks, that's not news, and especially not blown out of proportion once again like it has.

In discussions, all of those said players are also likely being discussed as trade options, but there's no headline for that.

Squamfan is hellbent on saying anything and everything to try and make Benning look bad, don’t waste your time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

It would be as much of an issue if the cap was increasing. Teams would be more willing to make those deals and it would be cheaper to do under those circumstances. 

Now the cap is gonna stay the same and it could stay still for a while. Trying to dump a player is gonna cost a lot more. 

This is why the owners might want to suck it up and have a compliance buyout. They risk losing assets otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I never view these as either/or..it ain't the 1970's

It's about building the perfect beast within the 81.5 mill, cap-paradigm. Having too many talented assets is the kinda problem we should all appreciate.

I don’t like the the idea of trading Boeser at all. Seems to be we’ve for years “I know the defence situation is average” but we’ve struggled to score goals for a long time.

Finally we have scoring and a more developed Boeser will only improve that.

However you do make a fair point 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

It would be as much of an issue if the cap was increasing. Teams would be more willing to make those deals and it would be cheaper to do under those circumstances. 

Now the cap is gonna stay the same and it could stay still for a while. Trying to dump a player is gonna cost a lot more. 

This is why the owners might want to suck it up and have a compliance buyout. They risk losing assets otherwise. 

The Toffoli trade was at the TDL when the cap was projected to increase to at least 84M.  Even then LA didn't want to take Baertschi's extra year despite Vancouver giving up Madden who was considered by Button, Wheeler and Pronman as the Canucks' 3rd best prospect on their respective lists.  

The compliance buyout ship has sailed.  Players just voted on the CBA memorandum of understanding - results expected tonight.  Compliance buyouts would increase the amounts they owe back to the league so doubt they would have agreed to them. 

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t like the the idea of trading Boeser at all. Seems to be we’ve for years “I know the defence situation is average” but we’ve struggled to score goals for a long time.

Finally we have scoring and a more developed Boeser will only improve that.

However you do make a fair point 

& we all gotta expect the fire hydrant planted on EP's right would pot 20. Miller & TT were such a jolt for this crew, it's exciting to see the potential. Many W's will fly with the overall quality of our young fwd-depth.

There are many ways this could go, but we almost certainly have to beef up our blueline quality/depth...

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

As much as the owners might not like it this is why a compliance buyout would be good to have. 

Stagnant cap is going to screw over so many GMs.

If stagnant cap is an issue and we are supposedly trying to dump Boeser's cap, who's going to be able to afford him? The reality is that in a stagnant cap world, it'll most likely be more of a hockey trade either offsetting the cap while helping the needs of both sides or it'll be minor cap fluctuations. Either that or we will be getting some high picks/prospects for Boeser like we did when we acquired Miller (except Boeser is younger and has had better numbers at a younger age). So we are getting a good return either way, but yet I feel like people are thinking we are going to dump him for a 7th round pick or something.

I find it funny that Benning is criticised endlessly for his contracts and now when it comes to Boeser, it's a "friendly" contract. No credit to Benning for actually signing him to this "friendly" deal in the first place.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

Squamfan is hellbent on saying anything and everything to try and make Benning look bad, don’t waste your time. 

Oh I'm well aware. I'm not trying to convince him/her. I'm trying to give some reasoning to all this so when others read, they don't fall into that trap.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

What I find absolutely hilarious is, when people were casually discussing moving Boeser for a top 4 RD throughout the last year no one made a peep, but the second a reporter, who’s known for stirring the pot, says he’s a possible option to be moved, said people straight up lose it :lol: It’s comical. 

Don't know, Pears? As you say, plenty of us were debating the merits. For example, a BB proposal I started in Feb has almost 3,000 views, with plenty of these familiar suggestions(listed upstream in thread)

Helluva'lot better than 2013/14 when we had bloody barren shelves, & a team running on fumes!

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

But you also have to add the return of trading Brock in the trade too. Toffoli has looked good with Petey as well and could be signed for say 5 million and you're saving in cap for a winger that has won a Cup before. Say we trade Boeser for Risto, then we save another 400k-ish and we would be bolstering the roster plus saving over a million in cap (which is worth gold right now).

The only thing piss-poor has been the thought process of all of this.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

The Toffoli trade was at the TDL when the cap was projected to increase to at least 84M.  Even then LA didn't want to take Baertschi's extra year despite Vancouver giving up Madden who was considered by Button, Wheeler and Pronman as the Canucks' 3rd best prospect on their respective lists.  

The compliance buyout ship has sailed.  Players just voted on the CBA memorandum of understanding - results expected tonight.  Compliance buyouts would increase the amounts they owe back to the league so doubt they would have agreed to them. 

Then the GMs have it bad. We will likely see teams trade a lot of assets to keep certain players or just bite the bullet and trade those players. 

Seattle might be getting a lot of assets too since they are in a position to be everyone’s main option for dumping cap prior to the expansion.