The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Don't know, Pears? As you say, plenty of us were debating the merits. For example, a BB proposal I started in Feb has almost 3,000 views, with plenty of these familiar suggestions(listed upstream in thread)

Helluva'lot better than 2013/14 when we had bloody barren shelves, & a team running on fumes!

Back in February, we didn't have Toffoli which has caused a ripple (or a tidal wave) in all of this. With Toffoli, it changes the dynamic of the conversation where he's an option as a replacement and some who are hell bent on us needing to save face from the trade supposedly.

But yes, when we the conversation shifts to us being able to trade good players, that means the team has shifted to a better place.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure they're "exploring" this trade as well as many others.  It's what good management does, have multiple plans in place for different scenarios and outcomes.  If we won the cup and Toffoli walked, there would still be people complaining about losing assets for a rental.  Benning has also never made a move because "he doesn't want to face the criticism."  He has literally made moves knowing he would be criticized.

As much as I would hate trading Brock, if it gets us that elusive RD that makes us better you have to do it.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If stagnant cap is an issue and we are supposedly trying to dump Boeser's cap, who's going to be able to afford him? The reality is that in a stagnant cap world, it'll most likely be more of a hockey trade either offsetting the cap while helping the needs of both sides or it'll be minor cap fluctuations. Either that or we will be getting some high picks/prospects for Boeser like we did when we acquired Miller (except Boeser is younger and has had better numbers at a younger age). So we are getting a good return either way, but yet I feel like people are thinking we are going to dump him for a 7th round pick or something.

I find it funny that Benning is criticised endlessly for his contracts and now when it comes to Boeser, it's a "friendly" contract. No credit to Benning for actually signing him to this "friendly" deal in the first place.

I didn’t say we’re trying to dump Boeser. 

I feel like there’s a misunderstanding here.  

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Back in February, we didn't have Toffoli which has caused a ripple (or a tidal wave) in all of this. With Toffoli, it changes the dynamic of the conversation where he's an option as a replacement and some who are hell bent on us needing to save face from the trade supposedly.

But yes, when we the conversation shifts to us being able to trade good players, that means the team has shifted to a better place.

Well for accuracy's sake, on Feb 22nd when discussing my proposal I was factoring in Toffoli, so I guess we'd just swung that deal.

Agree with you though, nice to feel we're pondering moves from a position of strength.

• Cheers 1

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Canucks are sure that they can re-sign Toffoli.

1) Podkzolin looks like a sure fire top 6 RW’er.

2) The Canucks can recoup both the 1st rounder lost in the JT Miller deal and a good prospect (Madden) lost in the Toffoli deal.

Boeser was a NCAA guy.

Judd Bracket was the main Ncaa scout.

Benning already ready traded Madden another Ncaa guy and is not signing rathbone another ncaa guy.

All these guy were Brackets picks

Benning is getting rid of any connection to Judd

• Haha 4
  • Wat 7

1 hour ago, CanucksCountry said:

god i hope not

well if they trade Boeser, then i will have to rethink about watching the Canucks.  because we have others on the team that are far less important than Boeser. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Isn't it interesting that if you add up the salaries of 1/3 of the roster, then number looks big.

one third is overpayment, Who the hell pays beagle and rousell a combined 6 million. Who gives a 5 year extension to player that never played a game for us.  For sign a player with concussion history to a contract no team was going to give

• Haha 1

Just now, smithers joe said:

benning and company have to look at all avenues that can help them get cap compliant. some people can get their nickers in a knot so easy. 

we should not even be in this situation. This the problem and the only reason for trading him

• Haha 1

Benning isn’t trading boeser for anything less than a top pair defenseman so relax

it makes no sense to trade him for picks/clear cap space.

benning is flawed but he isn’t that’s stupid to dump quality because they get paid fairly 

he’ll EXPLORE trading anyone not named petey or hughes. Just like how Toronto has traded nylander 50 times over the last 2 years, he’s doing his job to test the market. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Don’t watch Sabres hockey but wasn’t he a -40 a year ago.

He is absolutely the $&!#s . It’s laughable that management is considering trading a cost controlled young asset who is better than toffoli .

Edited by Silky mitts