The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks, Sunday August 2 @ 7:30 pm

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

10 hours ago, mll said:

Earlier this week Batchelor and Dayal seemed to imply that he didn't come ready to play.  Dayal says you can't skate yourself into shape.  MacEwen has looked good and has chemistry with Roussel-Gaudette.  For them it looked like Virtanen could be on the outside and had to play catchup.

Batchelor earlier this week said he wouldn't be surprised if Virtanen does not make the game 1 lineup with Dayal concurring the next day.  Dayal was softer in his stance as he does believe that Green would like the speed/skillset but compared to others he was not sharp.  He was arguing that you can't consider this like a September camp where players have more time to figure things out.

Harman Dayal earlier this week:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/harman-dayal-no-playing-way-shape/

Green yesterday: "I'm not going to be able to wait for players to be ready to play... That's just the way it is."

Batchelor later that day at the 3:20 mark thinks Green was pointing mostly at Virtanen with that quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/reach-deep/brendan-batchelor-trust-strong-coaching-key-heading-playoffs/

We all know when it's game day Jake is ready

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, mll said:

Earlier this week Batchelor and Dayal seemed to imply that he didn't come ready to play.  Dayal says you can't skate yourself into shape.  MacEwen has looked good and has chemistry with Roussel-Gaudette.  For them it looked like Virtanen could be on the outside and had to play catchup.

Batchelor earlier this week said he wouldn't be surprised if Virtanen does not make the game 1 lineup with Dayal concurring the next day.  Dayal was softer in his stance as he does believe that Green would like the speed/skillset but compared to others he was not sharp.  He was arguing that you can't consider this like a September camp where players have more time to figure things out.

Harman Dayal earlier this week:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/harman-dayal-no-playing-way-shape/

Green yesterday: "I'm not going to be able to wait for players to be ready to play... That's just the way it is."

Batchelor later that day at the 3:20 mark thinks Green was pointing mostly at Virtanen with that quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/reach-deep/brendan-batchelor-trust-strong-coaching-key-heading-playoffs/

"Dayal says you can't skate yourself into shape."

I appreciate some of the info these guys put out but has either played hockey in any capacity? How else are you supposed to get into shape, sitting on your couch?

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I appreciate some of the info these guys put out but has either played hockey in any capacity? How else are you supposed to get into shape, sitting on your couch?

In that context he means guys have to come to camp ready to go and can't be using camp to get into shape.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

In that context he means guys have to come to camp ready to go and can't be using camp to get into shape.

Aha, I think they might be wrong on that one but I understand it. I don't think there is any evidence at all that he came in out of shape, and I definitely think it's 100% possible to skate yourself into shape in 3 weeks. That scenario refers to a player coming into a 2-4 day training camp and subsequent week long pre-season.

Cautiously optimistic about the Canucks chances this year, for the first time in a long time, the Canucks heading to the playoffs (or playoff like situation) with a young up coming exciting roster lead by a new core.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, tas said:

I don't know if it's just the media blowing smoke, but I'm starting to get a feeling about this team ...

It's not just you. Hearing Brock has regained his wrist shot that he had in his Calder, Hughes looking bigger, faster and even better, is pretty insane.

Petey has also been getting praise but for me, the thought of Ferland doing to the Wild what he did to us has me thinking we have a real shot at a run.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

It's not just you. Hearing Brock has regained his wrist shot that he had in his Calder, Hughes looking bigger, faster and even better, is pretty insane.

Petey has also been getting praise but for me, the thought of Ferland doing to the Wild what he did to us has me thinking we have a real shot at a run.

everything coming out of canucks camp is upbeat and positive. everybody (other than lazy Jake) has sounded in peak form. greener and j.t. miller have this team in a place i thought it would take years to reach.

and then all I hear out of other camps are worries and controversies and problems. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tas said:

everything coming out of canucks camp is upbeat and positive. everybody (other than lazy Jake) has sounded in peak form. greener and j.t. miller have this team in a place i thought it would take years to reach.

and then all I hear out of other camps are worries and controversies and problems. 

Canucks are dialed in. Green is a like a kid before Christmas. So am I! Can't wait to put on the jersey (or will it be a Canucks tank top?), maybe in a few weeks some car flags?  

My wife had a great idea, with social gatherings these days, might be really fun to do a drive-in type gathering for Canucks games. Canucks goals will be followed by honking horns and flashing lights etc. Maybe some white towels being waved out of car windows lol Could be a fun atmosphere, especially if they go deep.

I'm so psyched for hockey, big plans next Wednesday :) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks are dialed in. Green is a like a kid before Christmas. So am I! Can't wait to put on the jersey (or will it be a Canucks tank top?), maybe in a few weeks some car flags?  

My wife had a great idea, with social gatherings these days, might be really fun to do a drive-in type gathering for Canucks games. Canucks goals will be followed by honking horns and flashing lights etc. Maybe some white towels being waved out of car windows lol Could be a fun atmosphere, especially if they go deep.

I'm so psyched for hockey, big plans next Wednesday :) 

Hey Nuckers,..  and if we loose it can be a Demolishion Derby on Davie St. instead of another riot !  ;)

Traffic Jam GIF by memecandy

• Haha 2

On 7/25/2020 at 9:35 AM, Gawdzukes said:

Huggy Bear said he rode a lot of Peloton. That's just one example of ways players can stay in shape. Every other player managed to come in decent condition and ready to amp up to game shape. It's time for Jake to grow up!! If we loose against Minnie, we may cut him looose.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this.

I think Minnie is tougher than a lot of our fans think. The difference will be Markstrom.

Canucks win in 4.

Go Canucks Go!!!

23 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have confidence in the Canucks. Not just to beat MIN, but to do some damage.

- Markstrom will be lights out, Demko is very capable if needed

- Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Miller, Horvat and Toffoli is a lot of talent for teams to try and stop

- Pearson, Virtanen, Roussel and Motte provide gritty support

- Gaudette and MacEwen, I think will really step up, other teams not expecting them (size and speed, with a rocket shot)

- Edler, Tanev and Beagle provide stability and playoff experience. Myers' physicality will help.

- Ferland, if he stays healthy, will help the Canucks go deep, he has a lot to prove

I think you may be gravely mistaken to assume that certain Canucks D men will remain healthy in August. I fully expect Rafferty and even Juolevi to eventually play out of necessity. 

Edited by Maddogy

Does anyone see any interesting roster matchups between Travis Green and Dean Evason? For one thing, Minny has some pretty big size on their team.  I wouldn't expect Travis would want Troy Stecher out there against big and strong LW Jordan Greenway (6'6"). At times this season, Greenway has been a bit of a handful in the 3 games against the Canucks.  I expect TG to try to matchup Greenway with Tyler Myers on RD.  Likewise, I expect that we would see a lot of Tanev in a shutdown role when either Kevin Fiala or Zach Parise are out there. I would expect to see Stech out there more if he is up against Donato. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see a reprise of the Zack MacEwen vs Marcus Foligno fight.  One key for the Canucks will be their ability to protect Markstrom if guys like Foligno start to take a run at the goalie.   This is one place where having more size / grit in the lineup will be key. I think we could see a lot of Ferland, Roussel, MacEwen and Virtanen in the lineup as some sort of deterrent.  The experience of Beagle and Roussel and Sutter will be key to maintaining discipline as I really see specialty teams being critical in this short best of 5 series.

Post any other possible interesting matchups you expect to see.

Edited by SuitcaseSmith
  • Cheers 1

watched the game highlites against the Wild...one thing that stuck out is Marky handling the puck...if anything he needs to keep it simple and freeze it, we'll take the faceoff, since we have the best faceoff guys in the league.