The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks, Sunday August 2 @ 7:30 pm

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

13 hours ago, SuitcaseSmith said:

Does anyone see any interesting roster matchups between Travis Green and Dean Evason? For one thing, Minny has some pretty big size on their team.  I wouldn't expect Travis would want Troy Stecher out there against big and strong LW Jordan Greenway (6'6"). At times this season, Greenway has been a bit of a handful in the 3 games against the Canucks.  I expect TG to try to matchup Greenway with Tyler Myers on RD.  Likewise, I expect that we would see a lot of Tanev in a shutdown role when either Kevin Fiala or Zach Parise are out there. I would expect to see Stech out there more if he is up against Donato. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see a reprise of the Zack MacEwen vs Marcus Foligno fight.  One key for the Canucks will be their ability to protect Markstrom if guys like Foligno start to take a run at the goalie.   This is one place where having more size / grit in the lineup will be key. I think we could see a lot of Ferland, Roussel, MacEwen and Virtanen in the lineup as some sort of deterrent.  The experience of Beagle and Roussel and Sutter will be key to maintaining discipline as I really see specialty teams being critical in this short best of 5 series.

Post any other possible interesting matchups you expect to see.

Horvat typically faced the toughest competition this season.  Gaudette was one of the most sheltered players in the league.  Green talked of using Pettersson more against top competition as part of the next step in his development, with Pettersson wanting that challenge too.

Green said he looked into advanced stats during the break.  The Canucks 4th line was dominated regardless of the strength of competition.  Natural Stat Trick has Beagle outscored 23 to 10 and Motte 19 to 8 at 5v5.  Only 3 players among the 24 teams taking part in the extended-season have a worse ratio (min 350 minutes played).

Gaudette will likely continue to be sheltered and Beagle might be kept away from the Wild's main scoring line.

The Wild lines and pairings look set (see end of post).   They have yet to make a decision in net.  They no longer have a dedicated shutdown line.  They have scoring throughout the lineup and play lines fairly equally.  Evason did double shift Fiala on the different lines when they needed more scoring.

Last time they played was in Vancouver with Green having last change.  The Wild had just handed the reins over to Evason who simply took over Boudreau's lines and system.  He has made changes since including how he wants them to play.

Green initially had Horvat go up against the Eriksson Ek line but also had him play Parise-Staal-Fiala as the game went along.  Parise is no longer on that line and has been replaced by Greenway.  He is tasked to open up room for Fiala and plant himself at the net.  Would expect Green to have Horvat go up against Staal.

Pettersson started vs Staal but Green then tried to get him out against the Galchenyuk line.  He avoided the Eriksson Ek matchup that had Greenway and Foligno on the wings.  Both Foligno and Greenway are no longer on the line and have been replaced by Parise and Kunin.  It might be a more likely match-up now that their 2 most physical players are on other lines.  It's still a tough line to play against but is not as physically intimidating.  The Wild will want Eriksson Ek against Pettersson.

Gaudette playing with Roussel-Virtanen was matched primarily against Eriksson Ek (60% of his time) and a bit against Koivu (30% of his time).  Eriksson Ek was being used as a physical defensive line with limited scoring.  Parise is now on that line.  Parise led the Wild in goals and is a real nuisance around the net.  He scores off hard work and taking a beating right at the net.  I am not sure Green will want that matchup for the Gaudette line now that Parise has been added.

Galchenyuk was playing wing with Kunin at C and Zuccarello on the other wing.  It was a softer line in comparison to the physical Eriksson Ek line.  Galchenyuk is now at C and Foligno is on the line in lieu of Kunin.  That could be a line to play Beagle or Gaudette against.    

The only line that stayed the same is their 4th line of Donato-Koivu-Hartman.  It's a line that they try and use against lesser competition.  That line has been solid and even won them games.  Natural Stat Trick has them with an expected goal for percentage of over 60%.  Could see Beagle or Gaudette going up against that line.

Wild expected lineup:               

Greenway  Staal  Fiala   

Parise  ErikssonEk  Kunin           

Foligno  Galchenyuk  Zuccarello        

Donato  Koivu  Hartman

Suter Spurgeon

Brodin Dumba

Soucy Hunt

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I like it stawns, but I would try to get Gaud and Big Mac in the lineup. I'd actually sit Sutter and Jake. 

I like your idea. Big Mac certainly earned his spot in the lineup after solid showings during the latter part of the season + recent training camp.

Same goes for Gaudette as he was one of the hardest working, improved player this season. 

If we are starting a new season, I absolutely agree it makes total sense to sit Sutts and Tuna. 

But as this is playoffs hockey right off the bat, I wouldnt be surprised to see Greener go with "Veterans" and have Big Mac and Gaud watch a game or two before being injected in. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I like your idea. Big Mac certainly earned his spot in the lineup after solid showings during the latter part of the season + recent training camp.

Same goes for Gaudette as he was one of the hardest working, improved player this season. 

If we are starting a new season, I absolutely agree it makes total sense to sit Sutts and Tuna. 

But as this is playoffs hockey right off the bat, I wouldnt be surprised to see Greener go with "Veterans" and have Big Mac and Gaud watch a game or two before being injected in. 

They're not putting two unproven players in Gaud and Mac into the lineup........and I love both those players and have since day 1.  Gaud was hugely sheltered during the season and I doubt they throw him to sink or swim in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're not putting two unproven players in Gaud and Mac into the lineup........and I love both those players and have since day 1.  Gaud was hugely sheltered during the season and I doubt they throw him to sink or swim in the playoffs.

Hmm. I agree that we won't see them in Game 1. But I disagree that we won't see them at all this playoffs. 

We will see them one way or the other during the playoffs. Whether there be an injury or a need to replace an inefficient player. 

1 hour ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Hmm. I agree that we won't see them in Game 1. But I disagree that we won't see them at all this playoffs. 

We will see them one way or the other during the playoffs. Whether there be an injury or a need to replace an inefficient player. 

We may very well see them in the series, I agree.  Likely even

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Gaud may have been Sheltered but he 

will be in line-up for game 1, IMHO

Go Canucks go All the way

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Gaud may have been Sheltered but he 

will be in line-up for game 1, IMHO

Go Canucks go All the way

I think they'll go with Sutter if he's healthy.  They'll want a more even matchup than Gaud, imo. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, Gaudette and MacEwen sure are nice weapons to have in the back pocket. Good plan. Let them loose, fresh and hungry, in Round 2 of the playoffs (after Sutter hurts his groin again)

We need someone on duty with a giant squirt bottle for every time Sutter goes to pull his groin. Nasty habit that is.

12 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I like it stawns, but I would try to get Gaud and Big Mac in the lineup. I'd actually sit Sutter and Jake. 

I think we need Sutter especially on the PK. I may be in the minority but IF it came down to Sutter or AG, at this point id go Sutter. With our top 6 and overall depth on wing, I prefer a more typical 3c. I think Motte, Mac and LE end up sitting at least on Wednesday where Jake will get a last shot to show he's the best option.

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It will be on Sportsnet, the exhibition game ON WEDNESDAY (WOO) too!!

Here's the complete game and broadcast schedule:

https://www.nhl.com/schedule

image.png

image.png

How awesome is it that hockey is back, the team's healthy and the kids all look even better.

Joulevi, taking a huge step, Ferland not only healthy but was his usual physical self.

This group really showed why Benning puts so much stock in character, our boys bettered themselves while a lot of other teams seem to be dealing with the usual injuries we see when people are out of shape.

Wednesday can't come soon enough.

• Like 2

Canucks have some a lot of size in the lineup. i remember when they had Sandlak and Momesso on the third line and Odjick and Hunter or Antoski on the 4th line.

Kind of reminds me of those days with Ferland, Virtanen, MacEwen, Beagle, two heavy lines to play against. Goes a long way in the playoffs, wearing down the other teams D.

17 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Canucks have some a lot of size in the lineup. i remember when they had Sandlak and Momesso on the third line and Odjick and Hunter or Antoski on the 4th line.

Kind of reminds me of those days with Ferland, Virtanen, MacEwen, Beagle, two heavy lines to play against. Goes a long way in the playoffs, wearing down the other teams D.

I was thinking about that, they have all of the ingredients to win it all really. Youth, speed, size and nastiness, super skill, generational Dman, Vezina worthy goaltender and Green has them all on the same page. He's excited, the players are excited. Toffoli only played 10 games for the Canucks, so they're basically getting Toffoili and Ferland for the playoffs. Nice. Also sounds like Juolevi has taken some steps.

• Cheers 1