The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks, Sunday August 2 @ 7:30 pm

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That’s my point, we don’t do that, we don’t fight back so they take even more liberties and this will all be ramped up in the playoffs.

I’d kill for a cup but being objective, we’re a mediocre team will no playoff experience and a turn the other cheek attitude instilled by our coach, doesn’t look to promising.

You’re overthinking it. We ain’t a small team. If that happens our team will respond.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

you play tough between the whistles.  The rest is a distraction.

That Sedin mentality didn't work in 2011, referees put whistles away in playoffs. Team has to stand up for each other, if an opposition team is targeting your key guys you go right back at them not turtle...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

That Sedin mentality didn't work in 2011, referees put whistles away in playoffs. Team has to stand up for each other, if an opposition team is targeting your key guys you go right back at them not turtle...

Exactly:

2008-09 7th in league out in 2nd round

2009-10 5th in league out in 2nd round

2010-11 1st in league lost SCF

2011-12 1st in league out in 1st round

20112-13 7th in league out in first round

Bottom line, we were a pretty damn good team, maybe the best over those years but nothing to show for it. The turn the other cheek attitude AV had and Green adopted does not work in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Exactly:

2008-09 7th in league out in 2nd round

2009-10 5th in league out in 2nd round

2010-11 1st in league lost SCF

2011-12 1st in league out in 1st round

20112-13 7th in league out in first round

Bottom line, we were a pretty damn good team, maybe the best over those years but nothing to show for it. The turn the other cheek attitude AV had and Green adopted does not work in the playoffs.

Don’t mistake discipline for turning the other cheek.   If we could have put a few more past Thomas we’d still be glowing over it rather then picking apart what went wrong - we did have something like 2 for everyone 1 PPs against Boston.   One thing I will say is our 89-95 team would have cleaned any current or past decades  teams clock including Boston  easily in the ally and wouldn’t have put up with stars getting deliberately run over/cheap shotted.  (Although how many times did Roberts run McLean in 94 and how many times did Linden turtle during that rivalry? - the team was also guilty of not doing enough at times back then too)...

All the teams were tougher and rougher back then, the game has changed.   Chara is the lone ex-enforcer  ... Reaves wouldn’t have made the top 25 list in 89-2010 and is now the leagues reigning bad boy.     

The only thing I can’t stomach is zero retaliation.   Miller better be ready ... same with Myers or whomever on defense and it shouldn’t have to be Stetcher. Beagle,   Ferland, Roussel, Pearson, Toffoli, Benn better bring it.  JV too.  Horvat too.   I don’t think it’s the coaching- it’s the players themselves more then anything.   I doubt he’s telling the guys not to have each other’s back - TG played in that era and knows what it’s like - but I’m sure he knows this team wins games on special teams - and one of EPs superpowers is how many penalties he draws.     To win with this team (5 x 5 isn’t a strength yet)  taking constant retaliation penalties won’t work and Green knows that.   That said sending a message is a must too.   Every team out there will want to knock EP and QHs off their game .... maybe a player might even want to knock them out of the series too and we have to be prepared for that and ready to limit it so what your bringing up is definitely valid.   The team isn’t nearly as soft as it was a couple years ago .... hopefully that will translate well this year and we can go on a nice run.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don’t mistake discipline for turning the other cheek.   If we could have put a few more past Thomas we’d still be glowing over it rather then picking apart what went wrong - we did have something like 2 for everyone 1 PPs against Boston.   One thing I will say is our 89-95 team would have cleaned any current or past decades  teams clock including Boston  easily in the ally and wouldn’t have put up with stars getting deliberately run over/cheap shotted.  (Although how many times did Roberts run McLean in 94 and how many times did Linden turtle during that rivalry? - the team was also guilty of not doing enough at times back then too)...

All the teams were tougher and rougher back then, the game has changed.   Chara is the lone ex-enforcer  ... Reaves wouldn’t have made the top 25 list in 89-2010 and is now the leagues reigning bad boy.     

The only thing I can’t stomach is zero retaliation.   Miller better be ready ... same with Myers or whomever on defense and it shouldn’t have to be Stetcher. Beagle,   Ferland, Roussel, Pearson, Toffoli, Benn better bring it.  JV too.  Horvat too.   I don’t think it’s the coaching- it’s the players themselves more then anything.   I doubt he’s telling the guys not to have each other’s back - TG played in that era and knows what it’s like - but I’m sure he knows this team wins games on special teams - and one of EPs superpowers is how many penalties he draws.     To win with this team (5 x 5 isn’t a strength yet)  taking constant retaliation penalties won’t work and Green knows that.   That said sending a message is a must too.   Every team out there will want to knock EP and QHs off their game .... maybe a player might even want to knock them out of the series too and we have to be prepared for that and ready to limit it so what your bringing up is definitely valid.   The team isn’t nearly as soft as it was a couple years ago .... hopefully that will translate well this year and we can go on a nice run.

you do it between whistles, not after the whistle.  You do it by laying the body and being aggressive, not by taking the bait from the other team and taking penalties.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Well it got them to game 7 of the SCF, I for one don't believe for a second we would have won if Daniel had just punched Marchand in the face and got a 2 minute penalty.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well it got them to game 7 of the SCF, I for one don't believe for a second we would have won if Daniel had just punched Marchand in the face and got a 2 minute penalty.

That always makes me chuckle.  That said, I would loved to have seen the refs make more calls for the stuff after the whistles.......it had an impact on the outcome, for sure.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

you do it between whistles, not after the whistle.  You do it by laying the body and being aggressive, not by taking the bait from the other team and taking penalties.

Absolutely- with the exception if someone runs or does a dirty play against anyone - especially our star players - in that case hopefully the reaction will is immediate and the penalty kill worth it.   ANA won their only cup being the bullies - wish we had that sort of lineup but that was probably the last time we’ll ever see a team like that and not expecting that sort of play - just want to see instant push-back.... Horvat needs to set the tone too, shouldn’t always have to be Miller towing the line - and think he will.  

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely- with the exception if someone runs or does a dirty play against anyone - especially our star players - in that case hopefully the reaction will is immediate and the penalty kill worth it.   ANA won their only cup being the bullies - wish we had that sort of lineup but that was probably the last time we’ll ever see a team like that and not expecting that sort of play - just want to see instant push-back.... Horvat needs to set the tone too, shouldn’t always have to be Miller towing the line - and think he will.  

I'd still prefer to take a number and catch them later in the game or make them pay on the scoreboard.  I coached that way too, my teams were never encouraged to retaliate after a whistle........take the number and catch them with their head down later on.  The irony is, as a player, one of my jobs was to beat the snot out of anyone who touched our offensive players!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

That always makes me chuckle.  That said, I would loved to have seen the refs make more calls for the stuff after the whistles.......it had an impact on the outcome, for sure.

AV had us playing disciplined hockey - let’s face it we couldn’t put a pea past Thomas that series.  We lost with special teams - got something like 2 power plays for everyone of theirs (refs won’t call much more then that even if the other team are acting like animals), think they might have outscored us with their penalty kill too (short handed goals) ha ha.   It’s not like we didn’t have our fair share of guys that weren’t soft and willing to mix it up because we did for sure .... Thomas is in the record books for most saves in a final.   He was the difference way more then whatever morale cost we lost to Sedin just sitting their waiting for another call our way.   Ref probably would have liked to give us an unsportsmanlike for not sticking up for ourselves just as much as calling one on the Rat.    We lost.  I’m over it and have been for a while.  Sucked for sure but it is what it is.  Wasted two great years coming up against all-time epic goalie playoff performances - up there with Ranford and Roy’s .... (Thomas and Quicks) 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

AV had us playing disciplined hockey - let’s face it we couldn’t put a pea past Thomas that series.  We lost with special teams - got something like 2 power plays for everyone of theirs (refs won’t call much more then that even if the other team are acting like animals), think they might have outscored us with their penalty kill too (short handed goals) ha ha.   It’s not like we didn’t have our fair share of guys that weren’t soft and willing to mix it up because we did for sure .... Thomas is in the record books for most saves in a final.   He was the difference way more then whatever morale cost we lost to Sedin just sitting their waiting for another call our way.   Ref probably would have liked to give us an unsportsmanlike for not sticking up for ourselves just as much as calling one on the Rat.    We lost.  I’m over it and have been for a while.  Sucked for sure but it is what it is.  Wasted two great years coming up against all-time epic goalie playoff performances - up there with Ranford and Roy’s .... (Thomas and Quicks) 

Goaltending was the difference, 100%.  In 2 of the 4 they lost I thoguht they dominated and should have won easily, but TT was dialed in.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd still prefer to take a number and catch them later in the game or make them pay on the scoreboard.  I coached that way too, my teams were never encouraged to retaliate after a whistle........take the number and catch them with their head down later on.  The irony is, as a player, one of my jobs was to beat the snot out of anyone who touched our offensive players!

That is ironic.   Guess you know both sides of it .... the 97-98 Detroit teams used to pick one particular star and deliberately try and knock them out of the series - either off their game or out on a stretcher (Shanny’s own words).   That worries me a little - EP and QHs will be baptized by fire for sure ... and I for one wish we had a played like you in your youth there just in case but know that’s changed.   

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

Goaltending was the difference, 100%.  In 2 of the 4 they lost I thoguht they dominated and should have won easily, but TT was dialed in.

Not all Conn Smythes are created equal, that was one of the better ones I’ve seen ...top five for sure.  Boston had no business beating TB either.    Roy’s 1993 cup performance will likely stand as the greatest goaltending performance ever, but TT was pretty high up there too.  Sawchuk also had a couple (one his GAA was crazy low) too but wasn’t around to see it.   For the ones I’ve seen I’d rank as follows:

1. 93 Roy

2. TT

3. Ranford (was also insane at the worlds .942sp, might have been the best there was for a brief moment in the early 90’s)

4. Quick (Like Ranford a short time at the top)

5. 86 Roy

6. 2001 Roy 

The list is a bit subjective.  Honourable mention 87 Hextall. 

Edit:  Since this is a GDT - can’t wait to see how some of the younger players do tonight.   OJ especially if he’s played .... really curious to see how he’s playing now compared to a couple of live games I saw in Laval his first AHL season...

Edited by IBatch

Teams need at least 3 scoring lines to succeed in the SC playoffs. Virtanen scored 18 goals playing on the 3rd line and he scored the most PP goals in the 2nd unit PP. This guy has speed, can forecheck, hit and is never a defense liability. With Virtanen, Audette playing on the 3rd line, adding either Rousell or Ferland the Nucks 3rd line has speed,can score, forecheck and hit. It's a shame to see a 18 goal scorer to sit on the bench and watch the Canucks lose to the Wild. If JB and Green dislike Virtanen, trade him away in the off season but don't let him sit and lose the series. 

• Upvote 1

Might throw Virtanen in somewhere. Could take a game or two for the top 6 to get going so we might want as much offense as our lineup can muster. Use the 4th line as a defensive PK unit.

If Petey isn't scoring we need more insurances.