The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin Re-signs in KHL for 1 Year

1 hour ago, Provost said:

He is still available for selection just like if he had have signed with us... we still have to protect him if we want to. 

It might be less likely that he is selected because they wouldn’t have a year to see him in the NHL before deciding.  The only difference is that if he had been signed for a multi-year contract he would have qualified as a player to be exposed that met minimum requirements

It also isn’t like we have lots of quality D to protect.  We really don’t even need to protect Myers as his contract is at best a fair value for his production. We should be making trades next offseason for guys that other teams can’t protect.  There are a number of teams who have a #4 guy who is an upgrade on everyone except Hughes.

According to Cap Friendly he is ED exempt and doesn't need protection.  Yes, we don't have alot of quality D that need protection to be honest.  I would say it would be Myers, Juolevi and Brisebois.  Unless we trade Boeser for a top 4 Dman who then we would need to protect.  But that seems less likely now that Tryamkin isn't coming and also the fact that the cap will be flat which means there is a greater likelihood that we re-sign Tanev on a short term deal.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to Cap Friendly he is ED exempt...

That is surprising... I thought the last time that KHL time counted as a pro league for purposes of 1st & 2nd year pro's.

Capfriendly is smarter than me though, I guess that is a bonus for not signing him.  It leaves us zero D that we really have to protect.  We could trade for 3 guys (cheaply because they would be exposed and lost for free by other teams) who are all as good or better than anyone we would leave exposed.  I am not anti-Myers... but it would be hard to argue that he is worth more than his cap hit.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is surprising... I thought the last time that KHL time counted as a pro league for purposes of 1st & 2nd year pro's.

Capfriendly is smarter than me though, I guess that is a bonus for not signing him.  It leaves us zero D that we really have to protect.  We could trade for 3 guys (cheaply because they would be exposed and lost for free by other teams) who are all as good or better than anyone we would leave exposed.  I am not anti-Myers... but it would be hard to argue that he is worth more than his cap hit.

That’s one thing I really hope that Canucks management is gameplanning for. There will be plenty of teams staring down the possibility of losing quality defencemen for nothing at the expansion draft. Those teams will be motivated to make trades to salvage some value (even pennies on the dollar) on those players. Hopefully the Canucks put themselves in good position to take advantage.

• Upvote 2

The player with the biggest gain from this is Rafferty. This will be his big break. We still likely will not be able to afford Stecher unless he takes a massive discount to stay. This news IMO bumps Tanev into the top priority signing if it wasn't already. RD just got weak again and it was already a weak position.

3 hours ago, mll said:

That's not an option.  He is a RFA and has to be signed by a certain date.   In the past RFAs had to be signed by 1 December or they couldn't play for the remainder of the season.  The recently approved CBA MOU has a tentative start date to next season of 1 December - that would mean a signing sometime in the 2nd half of January at the latest for RFAs.  His KHL season will still be underway.  He can't play in the NHL next season unless his KHL contract has an out-clause, which is doubtful, so he can meet that RFA signing deadline.

Pretty sure that’s not true. Many Russian RFAs have joined their teams just before the playoffs. Vladimir Sobotka to the Blues and Vladislav Gavrikov to Columbus off the top of my head.

It’s disappointing, but again tree wasn’t willing to grind it out and take a 1 year 1 million and honestly battle for ice time with other bubble guys

”I want 2m+ cause I’ve played a year and a bit In the show playing average hockey, 16 mins a night”

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s one thing I really hope that Canucks management is gameplanning for. There will be plenty of teams staring down the possibility of losing quality defencemen for nothing at the expansion draft. Those teams will be motivated to make trades to salvage some value (even pennies on the dollar) on those players. Hopefully the Canucks put themselves in good position to take advantage.

I think that is a possibility.  Alot of players are going to be stuck trying to get a contract as a UFA and teams are also going to be up against the cap and may have to trade Dmen to get cap compliant.  The Canucks are not the only team with cap issues, the COVID thing is affecting everybody.

I think right now Tanev most likely stays and signs a short term deal.  Rathbone and Rafferty have good shots to make the team on cheap contracts.  That pretty much takes care of the 7 Dmen if you add Edler, Myers and Benn and Hughes.  If Benning is not sold on having both Rathbone and Rafferty in the lineup at the same time then a trade for a Dman on a team that is cap crunched could be an option.  

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

So it could be Podkolzin and Tryamkin coming to Canucks at the same time in a year. Good thing Tryamkin is happy with Canuck management and wouldn’t dare say anything bad about his experience with the Canucks to Pod.

im a Jimbo fan but....... wtf was he thinking hiding in his cave not even talking to the Agent for weeks and weeks.

Hopefully that can be our *Free* 2021 TDL acquisitions...save the picks and prospects and just bring both of them over!!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

They made a point on 1040 this morning saying that J-Bone's contract signing may have impacted this since he is considered a potential shot to make the team next season. 

I am just glad we will not hear about him anymore, but now I wonder what Dahliwal is going to do lol. Probably just drink his Crown with some warm Dickens Cider B)

He's kind of regressed and frankly he seems like a Dbag. I think he's 5th, or 6th, on the depth chart on the left side.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, I'll be happy to add both him and Podkolzin part way through next season, in the spring, once their KHL seasons are done :)

I hadn't thought about Podz getting half a season or more due to the season starting in Dec, or January. Getting him acclimated for half a season could be a big help come playoffs. Geez,  Podz, Ferland, maybe Hogs and hopefully TT still, that's a hell of a top 9. 

• Cheers 1

I could care less.  Like many have said before, he doesn’t seem at all to be a team player more like a me first type.    He should’ve signed a show me deal.  
I would just hate to see him thrive with a new team and everyone on here bashing the crap out of banning for not doing anything about it.  Which isn’t fair. 

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

So it could be Podkolzin and Tryamkin coming to Canucks at the same time in a year. Good thing Tryamkin is happy with Canuck management and wouldn’t dare say anything bad about his experience with the Canucks to Pod.

im a Jimbo fan but....... wtf was he thinking hiding in his cave not even talking to the Agent for weeks and weeks.

CBA wasn't finalized until recently? 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

CBA wasn't finalized until recently? 

Not to mention the Canucks aren’t even sure if they’ll have 2+ million in cap space available for him. If they had that they’d probably prefer to re-sign Stecher.

They’ll be able to afford him once their cap situation is cleared up.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wonder how many rubles he’s getting paid for this KHL deal?

Would be kinda interesting to know how close it was to $1,075,000 USD (the maximum salary buriable in the AHL).

EDIT: also curious if he has an NHL out clause? You’d think he’d demand one, if he really wants to come back.

Doubt the KHL would do out-clauses.  NHL agents have been blacklisted from doing business there as they don't want talent getting away.  Kaprisov and Sorokin were told they had to play the full year.

There's a salary cap now too and players had to take paycuts.  The highest earner is Shipachyov at 1.75M.  Andrighetto would have been 1.3M but he seems to have signed in Zurich.

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Doubt the KHL would do out-clauses.  NHL agents have been blacklisted from doing business there as they don't want talent getting away.  Kaprisov and Sorokin were told they had to play the full year.

There's a salary cap now too and players had to take paycuts.  The highest earner is Shipachyov at 1.75M.  Andrighetto would have been 1.3M but he seems to have signed in Zurich.

The KHL does do NHL out clauses. Not sure Tryamkin would have the leverage to demand one, but they can be given to players.

Even the recent CSKA one year offer to Sorokin reportedly had an out clause:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/eyesonisles.com/2020/06/14/islanders-ilya-sorokin-update-cska-offer-reportedly-nhl-out-clause/amp/

Those KHL salaries are interesting. Have to assume the high end on Tryamkin’s deal would be $1 million USD, and probably he got significantly less.

Surprising that they couldn’t make a deal at a similar range, allowing the Canucks to bury the salary, if needed, but giving Tryamkin the opportunity to earn the same or more than he’s getting in Russia. Of course, Russian taxes are low, but could offset the tax difference using signing bonuses (Canada only taxes 15% of a foreign player’s signing bonus and Russia and Canada have a tax treaty that would avoid double taxation).

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The KHL does do NHL out clauses. Not sure Tryamkin would have the leverage to demand one, but they can be given to players.

Even the recent CSKA one year offer to Sorokin reportedly had an out clause:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/eyesonisles.com/2020/06/14/islanders-ilya-sorokin-update-cska-offer-reportedly-nhl-out-clause/amp/

Those KHL salaries are interesting. Have to assume the high end on Tryamkin’s deal would be $1 million USD, and probably he got significantly less.

Surprising that they couldn’t make a deal at a similar range, allowing the Canucks to bury the salary, if needed, but giving Tryamkin the opportunity to earn the same or more than he’s getting in Russia. Of course, Russian taxes are low, but could offset the tax difference using signing bonuses (Canada only taxes 15% of a foreign player’s signing bonus and Russia and Canada have a tax treaty that would avoid double taxation).

Probably like, 10% tax in Russia though. And cheaper cost of living. 

1 mill in Vancouver is probably 400k after escrow, fees, and taxes

anyways. Couldn’t really care less to be honest. Tryamkin does not represent an upgrade to the defense. 

Edited by The_Rocket

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Pretty sure that’s not true. Many Russian RFAs have joined their teams just before the playoffs. Vladimir Sobotka to the Blues and Vladislav Gavrikov to Columbus off the top of my head.

This was figured out for his eligibility (or lack thereof) for this year before things went to heck.

Guys who are first signing their ELCs are eligible to sign and play right away, just like Tryamkin was for his first contract.  After that, they have to abide by that Dec 1st deadline (which will obviously be adjusted this year, but certainly not to the point of allowing a bunch of European players to join the league halfway through as "ringers").