The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin Re-signs in KHL for 1 Year

6 hours ago, Slegr said:

This is very disappointing. I think it'll become ever-more so evident in these playoffs that size still matters, and while the Canucks have some exceptional young talent coming up on defense, they are still lacking the size and nastiness that Tryamkin can bring, apart from Woo. I still hope he'll come around the following season. 

If at first we don't proceed, try Try again

• Cheers 1

I do genuinely believe he would have made our defense better next year.

Having two towers in Myers and Tryamkin (both of which can actually skate and complete a pass) would really help insulate our more offensive D men.

I really thought Nikita would have allowed us to ice a more modern defense with guys like Rafferty, Rathbone, and potentially Juolevi coming to add to what Quinn Hughes has started here.

But it's not a 'never' thing, he only signed for one year.

• Cheers 2

It may not be a never thing, but it’s also a possibility that Tryamkin never suits up for the Canucks.

We should stop slotting him into our projected lineups at least until we have a more concrete indication of whether he’ll play here again. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It may not be a never thing, but it’s also a possibility that Tryamkin never suits up for the Canucks.

We should stop slotting him into our projected lineups at least until we have a more concrete indication of whether he’ll play here again. 

Yeah, i really hope we give some of these guys a shot. Management has been hasty. I really think this group could compete and all be lower value guys with high upside

Tryamkin Sweatt

Sauve Subban

Hughes Pouliot

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Probably like, 10% tax in Russia though. And cheaper cost of living. 

1 mill in Vancouver is probably 400k after escrow, fees, and taxes

anyways. Couldn’t really care less to be honest. Tryamkin does not represent an upgrade to the defense. 

Cheaper cost of living in Russia, but hopefully his costs for one year, whether in Vancouver or Yekaterinburg, wouldn’t be all that high a percentage of his annual earnings (assuming he doesn’t go crazy with his spending).

And Russian income taxes are now 15% on higher earners like pro hockey players (the rate was just raised this year IIRC).

I was thinking something along the lines of a $750K signing bonus (of which he’d keep close to the same as if he earned that money in Russia), and then maybe a 1.2M/250K two way salary. So his total NHL salary would be $1.95M and his total AHL salary would be $1M (250K plus the 750K signing bonus). The would make the contract 100% buriable (which gives the Canucks some protection).

Basically, he’d probably make significantly more than whatever his KHL salary is, assuming he played in the NHL. But if he sucked and had to go down to the AHL, the Canucks would be able to bury the full weight. No European clause. If Tryamkin can’t hack it, he plays in Utica, but with the silver lining that he’d still earn around as much money there as he would in the KHL (and really, the overall “creature comforts” are roughly the same, between the KHL and AHL, so it wouldn’t really be “slumming it” for Tryamkin to earn a cool million while playing for the Comets).

Doesn’t really matter now. Just was looking at a creative way to design a deal that might have actually made everyone happy.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, Baer. said:

Throwing 10s of millions at depth players doesn't seem so smart when you can't even sign your prospects.

Agreed though I'll give Benning a pass on not signing NT if he can't accept a 2way deal or a league minimum one way.  It's a shame, NT had all the tools but not the drive to succeed in the NHL.  Willy must've really scarred him lol.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Agreed though I'll give Benning a pass on not signing NT if he can't accept a 2way deal or a league minimum one way.  It's a shame, NT had all the tools but not the drive to succeed in the NHL.  Willy must've really scarred him lol.

+1

Lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Cheaper cost of living in Russia, but hopefully his costs for one year, whether in Vancouver or Yekaterinburg, wouldn’t be all that high a percentage of his annual earnings (assuming he doesn’t go crazy with his spending).

And Russian income taxes are now 15% on higher earners like pro hockey players (the rate was just raised this year IIRC).

I was thinking something along the lines of a $750K signing bonus (of which he’d keep close to the same as if he earned that money in Russia), and then maybe a 1.2M/250K two way salary. So his total NHL salary would be $1.95M and his total AHL salary would be $1M (250K plus the 750K signing bonus). The would make the contract 100% buriable (which gives the Canucks some protection).

Basically, he’d probably make significantly more than whatever his KHL salary is, assuming he played in the NHL. But if he sucked and had to go down to the AHL, the Canucks would be able to bury the full weight. No European clause. If Tryamkin can’t hack it, he plays in Utica, but with the silver lining that he’d still earn around as much money there as he would in the KHL (and really, the overall “creature comforts” are roughly the same, between the KHL and AHL, so it wouldn’t really be “slumming it” for Tryamkin to earn a cool million while playing for the Comets).

Doesn’t really matter now. Just was looking at a creative way to design a deal that might have actually made everyone happy.

Aren't KHL players living in Russia their salaries are tax exempt? Has that changed or was that a myth?

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Aren't KHL players living in Russia their salaries are tax exempt? Has that changed or was that a myth?

I thought I read that a former Canuck player that played there (was it during the lockout?) & they got their pay via a bag of cash!   

6 hours ago, Provost said:

That is surprising... I thought the last time that KHL time counted as a pro league for purposes of 1st & 2nd year pro's.

Capfriendly is smarter than me though, I guess that is a bonus for not signing him.  It leaves us zero D that we really have to protect.  We could trade for 3 guys (cheaply because they would be exposed and lost for free by other teams) who are all as good or better than anyone we would leave exposed.  I am not anti-Myers... but it would be hard to argue that he is worth more than his cap hit.

He is not under contract with us therefore ineligible for expansion draft, same deal as expiring contracts. 

10 hours ago, Slegr said:

This is very disappointing. I think it'll become ever-more so evident in these playoffs that size still matters, and while the Canucks have some exceptional young talent coming up on defense, they are still lacking the size and nastiness that Tryamkin can bring, apart from Woo. I still hope he'll come around the following season. 

Its insane how under valued he is. We will pay for this somewhere down the road when hes on the Oilers 

or Jets and they flatten us somewhere in the playoffs. And it happened for nothing. We got nothing. 

He will come back, join a team, and make a huge difference right away and he left for nothing.

Traitor Jim. We arent saying it now but down the road all these bad contracts this CURRENT jam we are in

all because of Traitor Jim. We have a soft team that will get destroyed. Nothing has changed about this team

in 10 years. We were soft but skilled for a decade and we will be for another decade. 

Traitor Jim.

Edited by Shirotashi
  • Wat 3

24 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Its insane how under valued he is. We will pay for this somewhere down the road when hes on the Oilers 

or Jets and they flatten us somewhere in the playoffs. And it happened for nothing. We got nothing. 

He will come back, join a team, and make a huge difference right away and he left for nothing.

Traitor Jim. We arent saying it now but down the road all these bad contracts this CURRENT jam we are in

all because of Traitor Jim. We have a soft team that will get destroyed. Nothing has changed about this team

in 10 years. We were soft but skilled for a decade and we will be for another decade. 

Traitor Jim.

I think you may be overreacting by a fair margin.  Tryamkin doesn’t even dominate in the KHL, a league where Nigel Dawes and Sven Andrighetto are stars. He most likely would have been a bottom pairing guy here.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, the Canucks have him for one more year and he's using that to play in the KHL? Sounds like he's given up on the Canucks, maybe because he sees the Canucks D depth and his security here isn't very good. 

We hold his rights until August 2021