The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the Canucks afford to let Chris Tanev walk away?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

10 hours ago, zimmy said:

Who will give term? What possible destinations are there and will there be a situation for Chris and his agent to leverage? 

I have my doubts that there will be endless suitors but I suppose it only takes one.

I see some really good fits for Chris in spots like Toronto, Winterpeg  or even Ottawa. If not in Van, I think he ends up in one of these spots.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Myers and QHs definitely played a huge role in keeping the work load off Edler and Tanev.   They both had one of their best health seasons in a long time ...  would be nice to upgrade Stetcher at this point ... worrisome that when the kids start that the injuries could start coming back - however the team doesn’t have a choice in that regard, at least next season.   After that the leftover money most definitely should be concentrated on looking for long term vets to shore up each side.   Possibly with trades - possibly with UFAs.

Yeah that's my biggest concern for next season is that we will likely have to graduate someone, but we have to be able to depend on them. I think Brisebois is the safest bet, but Rathbone has a higher ceiling. Juolevi is there too, but I think could use a bit more ice time in Utica. Rafferty IMO is probably the one that worries me the most. Not that I think he's a bad player, but I think he wouldn't fill in to help keep Tanev from playing bigger minutes. He does have the size, but his defensive game is going to be troublesome for trust unless he kicks it up a notch.

The problem is all of the players that are close are mostly LD, so losing Stecher does hurt in that regard, so hopefully he does sign for cheap. Benn can play RD though, but he's had a tough year and might only be worse being paired with a rookie. Although I hope he simplifies his game to one like Luke Schenn did.

• Cheers 1

It’s pretty simple really: the Canucks can afford to lose Loui Eriksson!

Get this bum out of here even if it means paying the other team to do so. How can you be serious about contending with such a crappy player+contract hindering the likes of keeping around a Tanev/Boeser/Toffoli?

Let’s hope the Canucks are able to do the common sense thing here. It’s completely useless/backwards in keeping him around and having 1 foot in, the other out while trying to act like a contender...

• Haha 1

our defense will be ok for playoffs i think benn can play more and better than he had in van he did well in montreal if anyone gets injured  juolevi rafferty brisebois can get their shot 

edler stecher

hughes tanev

benn myers 

juolevi rafferty

brisebois 

lets see what this group can do  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

our defense will be ok for playoffs i think benn can play more and better than he had in van he did well in montreal if anyone gets injured  juolevi rafferty brisebois can get their shot 

edler stecher

hughes tanev

benn myers 

juolevi rafferty

brisebois 

lets see what this group can do  

Is Fanta there?

I think this is the type of series where Benn steps up. Sure he's no Bobby Orr but the front of the net should be a war.

• Thanks 1

This thread is a bit annoying.

Tanev is not “elite” and doesn’t make our defence “elite” whatsoever. 

There are plenty of options to replace Tanev other than the tall tree man for next year. Rathbone, Rafferty, Juolevi, Woo, etc (all of which would be at low cap hits and need to gain experience).

We live in a salary cap world and there is simply no room for Tanev on the depth chart of contract extensions. Priority goes to Marky and TT. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Given what we gave up for Toffoli, I can’t see Benning letting him go.  Pearson’s presence aside, Toffoli has gone on record saying that he loves it here.  I think both sides will try and get things done.  

I think you’re right about Stecher and Benn.

1) Rafferty replaces Stecher

2) Chatfield replaces Benn (and we re-sign Fantenberg?)

A couple of points. 

1.  I think that Benning feels that a 2nd and Madden is worth getting these boys to the playoffs.  There's no substitute for do or die playoff hockey.  Especially the 1st round.

Worth noting that Madden projects as a 3C and Gaudette has looked pretty good this year.

2.  You have to look forward when making decisions.  When considering moves, you have to consider the hear and now.  You can't think about what you gave up to get a player; it's not relevant moving forward

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, KirkSave said:

I see some really good fits for Chris in spots like Toronto, Winterpeg  or even Ottawa. If not in Van, I think he ends up in one of these spots.

Cap issues in Toronto and to a lesser extent in Winnipeg. I don't know if teams that have financial challenges (almost all of them) are looking to add a middle aged dman with a history of injury so, at least, I can't  envision anyone pushing the market up in pursuit of this player. Ottawa might make sense in terms of affordability but without considering their immediate needs I don't see them being super aggressive. 

Given what will be a suppressed market and with most of the teams able to deal not neccesarily being the most competitive situations, I see players like Tanev making due with their home teams in the short term.

15 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

There are plenty of options to replace Tanev other than the tall tree man for next year. Rathbone, Rafferty, Juolevi, Woo, etc (all of which would be at low cap hits and need to gain experience).

We live in a salary cap world and there is simply no room for Tanev on the depth chart of contract extensions. Priority goes to Marky and TT. 

Tanev is a #2 on this team,  probably #4 on a good D corps.  He's the Canucks best defensive D.  None of the "alternatives" you've listed are even top 6 yet.  

Second point, Tanev played all 69 games last year.  Don't forget that he had new shin pads specially designed for him last year that seemed to work very well.  We all hope that this continues.

Unless they can find an actual top 4 RHD to replace him, why on earth wouldn't they re-sign?  I was thrilled when they picked up Gudbranson and look how he turned out.  It took, what? 4 years to find Myers and he's only a #4 and cost $6M

Love TT but he's only played 10 games for the Canucks and will not be a point a game player long term.  He'll regress to near his long term average of 0.57 ppg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Tanev already said he'd sign a 1 year deal if he needs to, to stay in Van

It was put out there that he would but he corrected that mistake.  He will not re-sign for 1 year.

Quoting Dahliwal from June 12

"There was some confusion about Tanev in an article last week that he was willing to take a 1 year deal in free agency.

After talking to various sources, there is no way Tanev will accept a 1 year deal, players work hard to become UFA’S, a 10 year veteran and a top 4 defenseman like Tanev will be looking for term on the market.

You dont wait 10 years to become a UFA and sign for 1 year, it is not happening, you go for market value and Tanev will be no different."

Here's the whole link.  It's on twitLonger.

53 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Tanev is a #2 on this team,  probably #4 on a good D corps.  He's the Canucks best defensive D.  None of the "alternatives" you've listed are even top 6 yet.  

Second point, Tanev played all 69 games last year.  Don't forget that he had new shin pads specially designed for him last year that seemed to work very well.  We all hope that this continues.

Unless they can find an actual top 4 RHD to replace him, why on earth wouldn't they re-sign?  I was thrilled when they picked up Gudbranson and look how he turned out.  It took, what? 4 years to find Myers and he's only a #4 and cost $6M

Love TT but he's only played 10 games for the Canucks and will not be a point a game player long term.  He'll regress to near his long term average of 0.57 ppg

Lol!

Tanev is a capable defenceman but he is not ahead of Edler. Meyers still needs to find his way and is likely to be better in time (his history will prove this). 

Those players I’ve listed need playing time to get good. None of them have had the opportunities. Next year will be that. As I said, Marky and TT are ahead of Tanev on the list and I’m sure most people here agree with that.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

21 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser 

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

Motte-Sutter-Virtanen

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Chatfield-Rafferty 

Markstrom

Demko

........I don’t know.   That defense still looks quite suspect to me and that’s at 100% full health!   An injury to Edler or Hughes would make that defense a bottom 5 defense in the league.   I would love to move on from Tanev, but I’m not sure we could with that line-up.

Agreed that a Tanev-less defense is a lesser defense. But usually, the Canucks already don’t have Tanev in their lineup, save for last year’s anomaly.

Todfoli and Markstrom are two absolute musts for this team.

Thanks to Hughes being Hughes, Tanev is replaceable. 

Toffoli is about to become a God in this town.

Edited by Me_

21 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'd have Rathbone above Benn on the depth chart

we should probably see him for a year in the AHL, before rushing him straight into the NHL and if he does well early, bring him up.

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

lol tanev is one of our best defensive defenceman, not sure why you think any of those prospects who could easily replace him.

Edited by TNucks1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

lol tanev is one of our best defensive defenceman, not sure why you think any of those prospects who could easily replace him.

People here seem to criminally underrate the importance of a defenseman who can actually play defense.  I don't want us to follow the Toronto model where the ability to play like an NHLer in our own end is optional.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Agreed that a Tanev-less defense is a lesser defense. But usually, the Canucks already don’t have Tanev in their lineup, save for last year’s anomaly.

And we were far worse when Tanev was out. Was last year an anomaly or has Hughes' presence allowed for Tanev to stay healthy by having a partner that can relieve pressure with control? He had redesigned gear to help his PK duties. Hughes has praised Tanev every time and all of the young players look up to him and respect him.

Markstrom is a must, I agree. Toffoli is only if we can afford to fit him in. We have far more internal depth to bump the odds of being able to replace a Toffoli than we do with Tanev.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Me_ said:

i disagree about Toffoli, he had a good 10 games here, as someone has said earlier he has been a streaky player and even on a bad team like LA he was healthy scratched a few times.  i think he might play well but he is not a Miller, Pettersson, Boeser or Hughes, they are all stars in this town, i still think we need Tanev!

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

It was put out there that he would but he corrected that mistake.  He will not re-sign for 1 year.

Quoting Dahliwal from June 12

"There was some confusion about Tanev in an article last week that he was willing to take a 1 year deal in free agency.

After talking to various sources, there is no way Tanev will accept a 1 year deal, players work hard to become UFA’S, a 10 year veteran and a top 4 defenseman like Tanev will be looking for term on the market.

You dont wait 10 years to become a UFA and sign for 1 year, it is not happening, you go for market value and Tanev will be no different."

Here's the whole link.  It's on twitLonger.

I think his agent is trying to get things back on track. Tanev himself would probably take a one year deal, but his agent would hate that idea and thus backtracked it. Tanev clearly cares about the team. If he is true to his word about market value though, then the UFA market is going to take a hit with covid and the flat cap, so I'm fine with giving him the term at the lower rate. If he wants any trade/expansion protection, he's going to have to add a further discount.