Canucks Community

(proposal) Van-Det

18 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

To Van:

Elmer Söderblom (RW/C)

To Det:

Thatcher Demko

Louis Eriksson

Heard a Rumour that Detroit is interested in Demko. They have lots of cap space. Sucks losing Demko but would potentially allow us to keep Boeser an sign tofu. I value that higher than Demko. 

If you saw the rumour on this site I’d face check it ... been some supposition that either Detroit or OTT might take Demko (because they have the cap space for a cap dump).   Did you have a source for this rumour?

Yzerman is sly and has a lot of work to do in Detroit.   Maybe Demko is in his radar but I think at best he’d take a one year player from us like Bear - or maybe Sutter off our hands and that’s about it.    We have almost no leverage.   If he’s going  to weaponize his cap space 10-12 other teams will be scrambling and the offers will get pretty steep for the teams fighting for the chance to clear a body or two.    I suppose it’s possible they are interested in Demko - but the return won’t be LE off the books.   Well I suppose it could be if we added a first.   LE is worth at least a first and something added (one year of Marleau was a first ... before Covid), maybe two firsts I don’t know for sure.  We would definitely have to play ball and it would hurt our pool and our future pool a lot. 

Edited by IBatch

Nothing wrong with a low-risk, potential high-reward project in return for a throwaway.

At worst he busts, at best Elmer becomes at top-6 power forward and we shed dead weight while retaining Marky to take the reins.
Minor add, wonder if we could get Pickard as part of the deal?  1 year contract for a journeyman who I'd be down to bury behind Marky and Domingue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 5:46 AM, IBatch said:

If you saw the rumour on this site I’d face check it ... been some supposition that either Detroit or OTT might take Demko (because they have the cap space for a cap dump).   Did you have a source for this rumour?

Yzerman is sly and has a lot of work to do in Detroit.   Maybe Demko is in his radar but I think at best he’d take a one year player from us like Bear - or maybe Sutter off our hands and that’s about it.    We have almost no leverage.   If he’s going  to weaponize his cap space 10-12 other teams will be scrambling and the offers will get pretty steep for the teams fighting for the chance to clear a body or two.    I suppose it’s possible they are interested in Demko - but the return won’t be LE off the books.   Well I suppose it could be if we added a first.   LE is worth at least a first and something added (one year of Marleau was a first ... before Covid), maybe two firsts I don’t know for sure.  We would definitely have to play ball and it would hurt our pool and our future pool a lot. 

If both are interested, I simply look at who's willing to take the bigger cap dump.

As far as the return is concerned, I'd rather take a mid-round pick as compensation.

Demko, Eriksson/Sutter for 4th/5th round pick

9 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

If both are interested, I simply look at who's willing to take the bigger cap dump.

As far as the return is concerned, I'd rather take a mid-round pick as compensation.

Demko, Eriksson/Sutter for 4th/5th round pick

Might work with Sutter ... LE we’d have to add ... Demko at best is maybe worth a late first/early second on his own with the ED looming.   One year of LE is worth a first ... two years?  Ugh don’t even want to go there.   Nothing wrong with sticking to the same team that just won a round .... minus Leivo, minus Ferland LTIR and maybe Stecher going the Hutton treatment...plus at worse trade Pearson who has value.   That’s it.  

• Cheers 1