The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Kraken Announced

Rate this topic

Now that the dust has settled a bit, I don't mind the name. I mean, it's works on a certain level. 

To me it seems like it wasn't thought through enough.

I have a hard time thinking that someone in that organization didn't pipe up in the boardroom and say, "You know, people are going to call us Krakheads and our building will be known as the Krakhouse. Do we really want that association with our brand and arena?"

The nautical/sea creature thing seems forced imo and not through enough. You can make it work but I've never really thought of Seattle and Kraken naturally together. 

It is what it is ... I'm glad Seattle has a team.

• Cheers 2

On 7/30/2020 at 1:30 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Now that the dust has settled a bit, I don't mind the name. I mean, it's works on a certain level. 

To me it seems like it wasn't thought through enough.

I have a hard time thinking that someone in that organization didn't pipe up in the boardroom and say, "You know, people are going to call us Krakheads and our building will be known as the Krakhouse. Do we really want that association with our brand and arena?"

The nautical/sea creature thing seems forced imo and not through enough. You can make it work but I've never really thought of Seattle and Kraken naturally together. 

It is what it is ... I'm glad Seattle has a team.

I think it's a soccer team level bad name.  I like their colors though.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, Timbermen said:

Isn't a pikey an english pejorative for a gypsy? .

You will have to ask the good people at the Pike Place Market. Over by the flying fish. 

don't think they'd say that to Tyson Fury though.

Definitely not, and neither would I. 

In general, do you like the idea of Vancouver fans coming up with an alt-mascot for Seattle? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Roberts is among several key additions to the team’s off-ice staff, including new head trainer Michael Booi, who spent the past few seasons as an assistant trainer with the Washington Capitals – winning a Cup there in 2018 – and with the Arizona Coyotes prior. Jeff Camelio is the team’s new equipment manager, coming over from an assistant’s role in Nashville.

Nate Brookreson is the strength and conditioning coach, having most recently been an assistant athletic director for strength and conditioning for Olympic sports at North Carolina State University. Tim Ohashi is the new head video analyst, reprising a role he held most recently with Capitals.

The Kraken have also made two more analytics hires, bringing Eric Mathiasen on as a hockey operations developer and John Mavroudis as a hockey operations data engineer. Mathiasen had been a senior technical designer at Microsoft, Mavroudis a technical program manager of data engineering at Hellosign, a Dropbox company.

Francis welcomed the additions to what he said will be a core component of the hockey operations team as planning begins towards its inaugural training camp just under a year from now. But the addition of Roberts, 54, the only non-fulltime hire – though the Kraken will be his only client team — could be a difference maker for a club that will be assembling a mixed core of players talent-wise in next year’s expansion draft.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/kraken/longtime-nhl-vet-gary-roberts-among-several-kraken-hires-will-consult-in-key-sports-science-and-performance-role/