The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Kraken Announced

Rate this topic

I want it to be the Seattle Kraken. Such a great brand opportunity. With that said, their teaser video heavily a fishing theme which leads me to expect something along the lines of the Seattle Sockeye. I like Sockeye, but it would be a little underwhelming. They would also share the same color palette as Minnesota. I'd also find it odd that Seattle would name themselves after salmon when Fin eats salmon. Granted, Orca prefer Chinook to Sockeye, but it would still be a lame start to their branding.

36 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I want it to be the Seattle Kraken. Such a great brand opportunity. With that said, their teaser video heavily a fishing theme which leads me to expect something along the lines of the Seattle Sockeye. I like Sockeye, but it would be a little underwhelming. They would also share the same color palette as Minnesota. I'd also find it odd that Seattle would name themselves after salmon when Fin eats salmon. Granted, Orca prefer Chinook to Sockeye, but it would still be a lame start to their branding.

IF their logo rocks then the name won't matter as much.  I don't like the 'Kraken' name because personally I don't like the word association in crack... but also see, like many others have mentioned, the huge marketing engine that name would generate.  The endless possibilities... very dynamic... BUT only if they get the logo right. 

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

IF their logo rocks then the name won't matter as much.  I don't like the 'Kraken' name because personally I don't like the word association in crack... but also see, like many others have mentioned, the huge marketing engine that name would generate.  The endless possibilities... very dynamic... BUT only if they get the logo right. 

There are already a plethora of amazing concept Kraken logos. I'm partial to the trident with the Kraken tentacle forming the "S". 

9 minutes ago, Fateless said:

There are already a plethora of amazing concept Kraken logos. I'm partial to the trident with the Kraken tentacle forming the "S". 

Yes I think I've seen most... And most I don't like but regardless they'll have lots of great mock ups to choose from. 

However... sometimes, having many options to choose from, become one to many and miss the mark.  For example... Atlanta Thrashers... Good name bad logo! 

Vegas Golden Nights... Good name decent logo and grows on you... 

Edited by Hogs & Podz