The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Assets to Kraken for Expansion Consideration

I would like to see list of players that we don't have to protect.

So protect Horvat, Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Gaudette, Virtanen (Markstrom or Demko) trade the other goalie

Myers don't neet to protect 6 million.

Jake might get traded this October?

Easier to decide when we sees moves with players by next April 2021..

Edited by wildcam

22 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

If I had a choice I would rather Tryamkin not be playing for a division rival. I think GMs will be hesitant to make the same deals as last time (eg. Dale Tallon). The only thing I could see as a possibility with the Canucks is an enticement to not take Demko or a second rounder + prospect to take LE in the final year of his deal.

No. If Demko for whatever reason is still on the team when Markstrom is signed you cannot send a prospect and 2nd round pick for a backup goalie. You should have traded him prior and gotten at least that and if you couldn't you certainly can't trade that to then keep your backup. Hope that The Kraken want a top 4 Dman and take Myers. It makes more sense for them to take a top 4 dman than a backup goalie, if they plan to compete right now.

13 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

No. If Demko for whatever reason is still on the team when Markstrom is signed you cannot send a prospect and 2nd round pick for a backup goalie. You should have traded him prior and gotten at least that and if you couldn't you certainly can't trade that to then keep your backup. Hope that The Kraken want a top 4 Dman and take Myers. It makes more sense for them to take a top 4 dman than a backup goalie, if they plan to compete right now.

True.

If Seattle wants to replicate the success Las Vegas had, they would select players that can help them now.  Even if no teams offer sweeteners, Seattle can select a bevy of middle 6 forwards and top 4 d and capable starting goaltenders.

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

True.

If Seattle wants to replicate the success Las Vegas had, they would select players that can help them now.  Even if no teams offer sweeteners, Seattle can select a bevy of middle 6 forwards and top 4 d and capable starting goaltenders.

Right and Myers is signed long-term so it makes a lot of sense for them to take him over Demko.

8 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

They can only take one.  Can that one Canucks player be that dynamic to punish us for the next decade?

Probably not, I'd have to get an idea of what our roster is gonna be going into the draft. But I think our best exposed players will be middle 6 forwards and Demko/Marky. Giving em a starting goalie would suck. But we don't have much else to lose. Not as good a position as the Vegas expansion but we are still in a good position. We'll lose a decent player but I don't think it'll be a player that'll haunt us. Unless we expose Virtanen, they take him, and he puts all the pieces together. As he is now he'd be annoying to play against but if he fills out his potential on another team that's gonna be rough. 

11 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

They can only take one.  Can that one Canucks player be that dynamic to punish us for the next decade?

Other than Petey or Quinn no.  You could be looking at Demko, Virtanen, Lind, Brisebois.  That’s it. I don’t think it’s worth it to trade future assets for the potential to lose one of those players.  And most likely at least one and maybe two of those guys get traded prior to the expansion draft.  I can’t see Benning keeping Demko around if Marky signs a long term deal.  I’d use him as a chip to try and get rid of Eriksson.  Virtanen could be dealt as well. 

6 hours ago, peaches5 said:

You misread my post. I didn't specify the enticement to not select Demko should he still be on the team at the time of the expansion draft. The 2nd + prospect would be insentive to take LE in his final year but that depends on a lot of things that may or may not happen (which prospect, canucks cap situation, LE situation, other players available etc). In short, my main takeaway was that if we trade Tryamkin's rights I wouldn't want it to be within the same division (or conference) and not as an incentive for Seattle to not pick Demko.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

Protect:

Pettersson

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Toffoli

Virtanen

Gaudette

Myers

Tanev

Juolevi

Markstrom

At the 2020/21 TDL or Draft

Trade Demko (package him with Sutter and Stecher).

I don't think anyone's biting on Eriksson. My hope is he doesn't make the team, and just retires. Same with Ferland, too risky for his price tag.

I'll guess that Pearson goes to SEA

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

You misread my post. I didn't specify the enticement to not select Demko should he still be on the team at the time of the expansion draft. The 2nd + prospect would be insentive to take LE in his final year but that depends on a lot of things that may or may not happen (which prospect, canucks cap situation, LE situation, other players available etc). In short, my main takeaway was that if we trade Tryamkin's rights I wouldn't want it to be within the same division (or conference) and not as an incentive for Seattle to not pick Demko.

I still rather give up Myers for nothing than give up prospects and picks to lose 1 year of Eriksson.

Edited by peaches5
  • Upvote 1

Just let them take who they are going to take, that is the lesson GMs learned.

If Markstrom is signed long term, we should be trading Demko this offseason anyways.

We can also trade with other teams to get some extra D next offseason before expansion.  We don’t really have any D we “need” to protect, so could pick up a couple 2nd pairing guys for really cheap as their teams would lose them in expansion anyways.

If I were Seattle, I would pick as many D as allowed and then trade the surplus ones away for futures.  That is the position with the most value as assets, and if a dozen teams lose a top 4 guy, that is a dozen suitors who will need another top 4 guy to replace the one lost.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 7/24/2020 at 8:25 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Protect:

Pettersson

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Toffoli

Virtanen

Gaudette

Myers

Tanev

Juolevi

Markstrom

At the 2020/21 TDL or Draft

Trade Demko (package him with Sutter and Stecher).

I don't think anyone's biting on Eriksson. My hope is he doesn't make the team, and just retires. Same with Ferland, too risky for his price tag.

I'll guess that Pearson goes to SEA

Nice list.   Pearson might I suppose,  but they’d have 48 hours to get a feel to as whether or not they’d want to waste a pick on a guy who’s a UFA anyways and can just sign with anyone even if they pick him.   Assuming the Canucks haven’t traded him already and he’s even available on our team. 

Tanev on a one year deal means we don’t have to protect him either...which in almost certain will be what both sides agree on.  Which is great as then we’d have another protection slot.   

Demko definitely is trade bait the moment Markstrom signs - I’m not sure any other team would be willing to use their one goalie spot on him though - although it’s possible for sure.   OTT and Detroit keep coming up for good reason, Detroit has a good prospect coming up but won’t need protection...OTT ... well you just never know.    Makes sense to keep Demko too just for a sacrifice... I’d like to see Lind get a protection spot too I suppose that depends on whether TT is on the team or not. 

On 7/26/2020 at 12:03 PM, Provost said:

Just let them take who they are going to take, that is the lesson GMs learned.

If Markstrom is signed long term, we should be trading Demko this offseason anyways.

We can also trade with other teams to get some extra D next offseason before expansion.  We don’t really have any D we “need” to protect, so could pick up a couple 2nd pairing guys for really cheap as their teams would lose them in expansion anyways.

If I were Seattle, I would pick as many D as allowed and then trade the surplus ones away for futures.  That is the position with the most value as assets, and if a dozen teams lose a top 4 guy, that is a dozen suitors who will need another top 4 guy to replace the one lost.

Good post.  If they do that they could re-coup some ground that Vegas got.  One thing about GMs though is they don’t seem to be quick learners - been talked about and reported that we won’t see nearly if any  extra back-door dealings like Vegas enjoyed .... I’d be a little surprised if we didn’t see some of that too which could affect Seattle’s strategy somewhat - that and cap issues as top four guys usually come with a price tag and you know the one teams will leave hanging will have the most expensive price tag.  

Fortunately for them they will also have loads of inexpensive forwards to help with that too, both AHLers like Lind and third liners - but at 4-5 million a piece it will limit how many second line defenseman they can take...can’t see Seattle starting without a decent team.  

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good post.  If they do that they could re-coup some ground that Vegas got.  One thing about GMs though is they don’t seem to be quick learners - been talked about and reported that we won’t see nearly if any  extra back-door dealings like Vegas enjoyed .... I’d be a little surprised if we didn’t see some of that too which could affect Seattle’s strategy somewhat - that and cap issues as top four guys usually come with a price tag and you know the one teams will leave hanging will have the most expensive price 

Heh, the cap was originally supposed to help GMs in acting against their own self interests (overpaying for players).  They can’t help themselves/never underestimate their stupidity.

As to unloading Loui.....it’s going to take much more than a couple grade b prospects and a 2nd round pick for Seattle to bite on that imho.  They have the leverage (as they sure as heck don’t need a Loui on their team at that cap hit)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

On 7/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, theo5789 said:

It seemed all expansion consideration deals backfired. I imagine Tryamkin becoming a #1 dman for them if this occurred :P

I cant believe how many people gave up on him. He would be the PERFECT player to pair with Hughes. Like seriously that pairing would be 1 of if not the most feared pairing in the NHL for years to come

51 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

I cant believe how many people gave up on him. He would be the PERFECT player to pair with Hughes. Like seriously that pairing would be 1 of if not the most feared pairing in the NHL for years to come

“Could” not “would”.

I think he has great potential, and is definitely worth more to us than his meagre trade value at the moment... but it is a stretch to be confident that he will be more than a 3rd pairing guy right now.

He has a lot to prove, especially whether he can play in an NHL that has gotten significantly faster since he last played in it.

If Tryamkin could be the 5 on 5 partner for Hughes and be able to manage 18-20 minutes a night that would be a huge win for us (Hughes would get his extra minutes on the PP and Tryamkin would be on the bench for that).

We still need to find another top 4 D, and if guys like Tryamkin, Rafferty, Juolevi, Woo, Rathbone actually exceed expectations and become meaningful regulars... then we just have extra trade assets to use.

I’m hoping there’s more deals leading up to the expansion draft for teams to maximize there protections and get something for there guys. A team like the Flyers are potentially looking at Ghost, Myers and possibly even Patrick being available. The wild will run into the same issue and have to leave one of Dumba or Brodin exposed. Carolina top dman prospect Jake Bean is another guy that could be left exposed. Benning really only has Juolevi to protect on the backend. I’m hoping he can find one of the guys a team doesn’t want to lose for nothing.