5. Drafting

6. Identifying the Identity of the team quickly

7. Establishing the core of the team

8. Team balance

9. Cap utilization.

10. System depth 

Edited by komodo0921
  • Cheers 1

Like your optimism.   You make some valid points .  To me the two things that stand out the most are the very good youth in the roster and about to come up and the overall depth.   We won’t have both these things for maybe a very long time (only the Linden teams had as much depth ) - so hoping for good things this September.   No matter what we still have to other side (youth) for the next 2-5 years .... so hope folks don’t go into panic mode if things don’t go as planned.   To me the cap is the biggest constraint.   Any team would love to have LE on their fourth line but not at 6 million.    The next two years could go either way (playoffs or no playoffs) - but once we are over that hill watch out.   Plus it could still go very good for us just as easily as long as the youth movement keeps it up .... can’t see that not happening either.   Our defense isn’t up to snuff but our top 16 is lights out - we have goaltending and our defense can and will be addressed once cash is available. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Like your optimism.   You make some valid points .  To me the two things that stand out the most are the very good youth in the roster and about to come up and the overall depth.   We won’t have both these things for maybe a very long time (only the Linden teams had as much depth ) - so hoping for good things this September.   No matter what we still have to other side (youth) for the next 2-5 years .... so hope folks don’t go into panic mode if things don’t go as planned.   To me the cap is the biggest constraint.   Any team would love to have LE on their fourth line but not at 6 million.    The next two years could go either way (playoffs or no playoffs) - but once we are over that hill watch out.   Plus it could still go very good for us just as easily as long as the youth movement keeps it up .... can’t see that not happening either.   Our defense isn’t up to snuff but our top 16 is lights out - we have goaltending and our defense can and will be addressed once cash is available. 

Agreed... My optimism is obviously the fanatic dreamer in me but really nothing is orthodox in playoff hockey, anything can happen especially with this never seen before format.  Fascinating all around.  Definitely as deep as the 92' team mixed with 08' Chicago?

Just now, Hogs & Podz said:

Geeze... Hard crowd!  Guess I should know better.... And won't quit my day job. 

Deep take thanks Cap!

Ha ha. Just playing with you. I did enjoy your analysis. But when it comes right down to it… well you know.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

1. Ownership

2. Management

3. Scouting staff

4. Coaching staff

5. Drafting

8. Team balance

9. Cap utilization.

10. System depth 

Ownership/ management 

Development /coaching staff

Drafting/system depth 

Cap utilization 

Team identity 

The core will identify themselves if these are in place. 

1. Health

2. Luck

3. Skill

4/5. Determination/Work Ethic

6. Team Chemistry

7/8. Coaching/Systems

9. Staying Even Keel (no Highs/Lows)

10. Refereeing/Adapting to the Refereeing. 

Edited by Viper007

6 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

1. Ownership

2. Management

3. Scouting staff

4. Coaching staff

5. Drafting

8. Team balance

9. Cap utilization.

10. System depth 

I'm glad you have cap utilization at/near bottom of your list of importance in relation to this team lol!  Not convinced JB will ever be good at signing FA's.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

1. Health

2. Luck

3. Skill

4/5. Determination/Work Ethic

6. Team Chemistry

7/8. Coaching/Systems

9. Staying Even Keel (no Highs/Lows)

10. Refereeing/Adapting to the Refereeing. 

Is this list for the framework needed for general team building success or strictly playoff for success?  I understand that you can't have one without the other but maybe priorities change between the two 'seasons'.

an argument can be made for almost any one of these to be the most important. to me, its a combo of scouting (amateur and professional) and coaching. probably leaning towards coaching as the most important. 

Many different types of teams have won the cup. young, experienced, offensive, big heavy team etc... you get it. Its the coaches job to recognize the talents of the individuals on the team and implement a structure and system that helps their players work to their strengths. Think of the kings first cup win, they had no business beating the Canucks, or winning the cup. they embraced what they did well and went for it and won.

that's why I am cautiously optimistic about the Canucks chances this play-offs. I really think green understands this and is honest to himself about what type of team he has.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

Wow...and you didn't even mention our best player....JT Miller!

I know right?!  Embarrassment of riches!  Quite honestly... He's our most complete player.  He checks the boxes in so many categories, he's a category within his own.  

On 7/23/2020 at 10:08 PM, Hogs & Podz said:

Is this list for the framework needed for general team building success or strictly playoff for success?  I understand that you can't have one without the other but maybe priorities change between the two 'seasons'.

I thought it was a list for the playoffs to win the stanley cup.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I thought it was a list for the playoffs to win the stanley cup.

Yah, it was designed to highlight what (I believe) this teams greatest strengths are in order to have a 'snowballs chance in August' to win it all.  If per chance the hockey gods shine down upon us and award our Nucks the cup, we can come back here and debate what were the main components in importance (prioritize) that led us to the grail.... Or maybe we'll be to busy partying our asses off all fall long... Yah that sounds more like it.  ;)

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Laoag said:

an argument can be made for almost any one of these to be the most important. to me, its a combo of scouting (amateur and professional) and coaching. probably leaning towards coaching as the most important. 

Many different types of teams have won the cup. young, experienced, offensive, big heavy team etc... you get it. Its the coaches job to recognize the talents of the individuals on the team and implement a structure and system that helps their players work to their strengths. Think of the kings first cup win, they had no business beating the Canucks, or winning the cup. they embraced what they did well and went for it and won.

that's why I am cautiously optimistic about the Canucks chances this play-offs. I really think green understands this and is honest to himself about what type of team he has.

Agree 100%

11 hours ago, Laoag said:

LA sure had no business winning a cup. Quick and Thomas definitely had two of best goalie performances of the past two decades .... sucked we had to play victim to that back-to-back.   Then they won again which made it so much worse  as it took flukey out of the equation.  Wards and Giguires were pretty good too but those guys were Roy good .... 

Markstrom would win the Conn Smythe and have to play at least as well as them to give us any chance of a cup or even final appearance this year.   We have the scoring that’s not an issue at all.   But we definitely don’t have anything close to a championship defense or championship Selke types.   I’d be happy to win one round (real round).  Our middle six depth is for sure a strength too ... the longer we go the easier it should become to keep going. 

• Cheers 1