Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks re-sign Sonny Milano


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

https://www.jacketscannon.com/2020/2/24/21148991/columbus-blue-jackets-trade-sonny-milano-for-anaheim-ducks-devin-shore

 

WHY CAN'T BENNING MAKE TRADES LIKE THESE!!! Trading away fringe NHL'ers for pretty good prospects 

- I'll admit Goldobin was kinda one but thats it 

1) Don’t make every post about Benning and 2) IIRC he traded a bottom pair defenseman for a top six twenty goal scorer. 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pears said:

1) Don’t make every post about Benning and 2) IIRC he traded a bottom pair defenseman for a top six twenty goal scorer. 

lol what.. are you talking about Gudbranson for Pearson trade? 

 

Convienent to forget that we got Gudbranson in the first place with a 24th pick prospect who is budding into a 2nd line player, a 2nd round and 4th round pick. And Pearson is far, far away from top six on any decent enough team, may be only in your eyes. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

https://www.jacketscannon.com/2020/2/24/21148991/columbus-blue-jackets-trade-sonny-milano-for-anaheim-ducks-devin-shore

 

WHY CAN'T BENNING MAKE TRADES LIKE THESE!!! Trading away fringe NHL'ers for pretty good prospects 

- I'll admit Goldobin was kinda one but thats it 

Hansen for Goldobin (as you've mentioned)

Burrows for Dahlen

Vanek for Motte

 

With that said, Devin Shore is a pretty proven bottom 6 player who's only 26. Milano has pretty much identical numbers to Goldobin at the same age. I'd argue that Milano is almost more of a "fringe" NHLer than Shore is (considering Shore has played more than double the NHL games than Milano and only 2 years older). Anahiem is at the stage where they can take the risk of a project prospect and hope to turn them into something while giving up a useful player to a team that is looking for one. Benning made those moves as shown above when we were at that same stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol what.. are you talking about Gudbranson for Pearson trade? 

 

Convienent to forget that we got Gudbranson in the first place with a 24th pick prospect who is budding into a 2nd line player, a 2nd round and 4th round pick. And Pearson is far, far away from top six on any decent enough team, may be only in your eyes. 

Who said I was forgetting anything? McCann is nothing more than a decent-good 3C so can we please stop hyping him? Pearson has scored at least fifteen goals five times while providing steady two-way play, those are top six numbers on most teams so I’m not sure why you think he isn’t good enough to be a top six. 

  • Cheers 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Hansen for Goldobin (as you've mentioned)

Burrows for Dahlen

Vanek for Motte

 

With that said, Devin Shore is a pretty proven bottom 6 player who's only 26. Milano has pretty much identical numbers to Goldobin at the same age. I'd argue that Milano is almost more of a "fringe" NHLer than Shore is (considering Shore has played more than double the NHL games than Milano and only 2 years older). Anahiem is at the stage where they can take the risk of a project prospect and hope to turn them into something while giving up a useful player to a team that is looking for one. Benning made those moves as shown above when we were at that same stage.

I agree with this but also we got Rathbone with the Hanson trade(conditional 4th round pick) Goldy might be gone but we have a JackBone in the pipeline. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I agree with this but also we got Rathbone with the Hanson trade(conditional 4th round pick) Goldy might be gone but we have a JackBone in the pipeline. 

Rathbone was taken with our own 4th. The one we acquired, we traded to Chicago to gain a 5th and 6th round picks which turned into Gunnarsson and Palmu. None worked out, but it demonstrates that we did make the trades in which that poster believed that Benning wasn't making. Ignoring facts for their argument.

  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2020 at 1:06 PM, Drakrami said:

lol what.. are you talking about Gudbranson for Pearson trade? 

 

Convienent to forget that we got Gudbranson in the first place with a 24th pick prospect who is budding into a 2nd line player, a 2nd round and 4th round pick. And Pearson is far, far away from top six on any decent enough team, may be only in your eyes. 

Pearson 21 goals 45 points McCann 14 goals 35 points. How is Pearson not a top 6 but McCann a budding second line forward?

 

Pearson is a 2nd line winger and McCann is a middle 6 C/LW. Pearson slots into the 2nd line, McCann is more of a 7th forward who is a good fit to move into the top

6 when there is an injury.

 

Now the Gudbranson grade was horrible. Absolutely disgusting. I hated it at the time and that was when I thought Gudbranson was actually decent (like Willie Mitchell level 2nd pairing). To make matters worse I heard we had DeBrincat ranked in the first round so chances are if that trade doesn’t happen we keep McCann, draft DeBrincat. 
 

Benning pulled out a Miracle not only dropping Gudbranson for Pearson (loved the trade even though Pearson was at his all time low) but for Pearson to turn around and become a 25 goal 50+ point player is a huge win.

 

McCann + an early second for Pearson now wouldn’t be a terrible trade for a team looking to win. McCann actually progressed exactly where I expected him to but if he was a 75 point player this would have really hurt.

 

keep in mind we also tossed Madden in with a 2nd for a 2nd line UFA in Tyler Toffoli. Madden probably has more upside than McCann so that deal has potential to be so much worse. In a perfect world Toffoli is a great fit, we go deep in that playoffs, and he resigns. Otherwise we need Madden to bust hard.  So far we avoided the absolute worst case scenario (flat out missing the playoffs).

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2020 at 11:04 AM, Pears said:

Who said I was forgetting anything? McCann is nothing more than a decent-good 3C so can we please stop hyping him? Pearson has scored at least fifteen goals five times while providing steady two-way play, those are top six numbers on most teams so I’m not sure why you think he isn’t good enough to be a top six. 

And how many of those were empty netters? Not saying he is a bad player but look at his EN goals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 11:34 PM, DontMessMe said:

https://www.jacketscannon.com/2020/2/24/21148991/columbus-blue-jackets-trade-sonny-milano-for-anaheim-ducks-devin-shore

 

WHY CAN'T BENNING MAKE TRADES LIKE THESE!!! Trading away fringe NHL'ers for pretty good prospects 

- I'll admit Goldobin was kinda one but thats it 

Leivo for Carcone. Although not really prospect. Similar idea. 
 

Others people have mentioned in this thread.

 

I thought Holm for Leipsic at the time was a good one as well. Never worked out but not all do 

 

Also what about the FA he’s signed that turned into great prospects MacEwen, Rafferty?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2020 at 2:14 AM, Pears said:

Not many considering we scored 4 as a team all year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 empty net goals in 2019/20 for the Canucks.  

 

Pearson had 6 empty net goals and 9pts total on empty nets

Horvat 4  goals 7pts

Eriksson 2 goals 6pts

Sutter 1 goal 1pt

 

McCann has no empty net goals or points.  

 

Edited by mll
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mll said:

13 empty net goals in 2019/20 for the Canucks.  

 

Pearson had 6 empty net goals and 9pts total on empty nets

Horvat 4  goals 7pts

Eriksson 2 goals 6pts

Sutter 1 goal 1pt

 

McCann has no empty net goals or points.  

 

 

On 8/1/2020 at 1:56 PM, DontMessMe said:

And how many of those were empty netters? Not saying he is a bad player but look at his EN goals

What I take from this is that these guys are the ones trusted to defend a lead under the pressure of the opposition throwing everything they can to tie the game and they are closing games out by finishing it with the EN goals. Yes they are the "easy" goals, but there was a time when we couldn't bury them if our lives depended on it and often games would get tied up bringing it to OT which adds more mileage to the team over the year win or lose. So I don't look at the EN stats as a negative towards their productions, it's simply a reward for their hard work.

 

McCann is likely not trusted in this situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Leivo for Carcone. Although not really prospect. Similar idea. 
 

Others people have mentioned in this thread.

 

I thought Holm for Leipsic at the time was a good one as well. Never worked out but not all do 

 

Also what about the FA he’s signed that turned into great prospects MacEwen, Rafferty?

Funny how the anti Benning crew doesn’t like it when their narratives get busted. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...