The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Dumba first NHL player to take a knee

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

His words...his emotion...Malcolm and Darnell standing by his side...

As a black hockey fan, I am here for this!

I think its also a great message for youth hockey to not tolerate racism in our sport.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

You make it sound like race relations were good at some point in history.  Nothing could be further than the truth.  This is DECADES overdue.

What specifically is decades overdue?

It is really easy to pretend any given issue is worse than it is in order to appear to be a bigger hero for being on the right side of it.  People are a lot more concerned right now about making displays about how much they aren't a racist than they are concerned about not being a racist.  Which is why you have white protestors calling black cops racial slurs and thinking they are righteous for doing so.

So if something is overdue, or a particular aspect of a particular issue needs addressing or rectification, then I am all ears, but state what specifically and back up the assertion.

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

A few people won’t like it but that is more telling about them than Dumba. 

I think if you wanted to know anything about anyone on either side you would first have to ask them their reasons for their position.

There are a lot of black people that don't want kneeling for anthems and don't want police related stuff on the back of jerseys.  Many, many white people assume there is no diversity of opinion in the black community.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think if you wanted to know anything about anyone on either side you would first have to ask them their reasons for their position.

There are a lot of black people that don't want kneeling for anthems and don't want police related stuff on the back of jerseys.  Many, many white people assume there is no diversity of opinion in the black community.

Not arguing that. Those people should not be wearing black lives matter tee shirts or kneeling for the anthem. That is their choice as is doing those things. 
I am not saying anything about the people who choose to kneel or choose not to kneel. What I was talking about was the provocateurs who jump in to any conversation about BLM and start putting words in other people’s mouths and saying things like it is setting race relations back. 
If anything it is moving the conversation forward.

People keep trying to redefine what the protestors protest is about to suit their stance. It is up to the protester to decide what their protest is about. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

What I was talking about was the provocateurs who jump in to any conversation about BLM and start putting words in other people’s mouths and saying things like it is setting race relations back. If anything it is moving the conversation forward.

People keep trying to redefine what the protestors protest is about to suit their stance. It is up to the protester to decide what their protest is about. 

Well, if you're at all interested in hearing a few black voices on what you've said...  I don't really expect anyone to watch them, but these are four fairly popular black voices / commentators if anyone is interested.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

This isn't a turning point in our history.  It's race relations being destroyed real-time in an election year.

if you mean destroying how race relations have been, isn't that good? the respect and support he's receiving is a hopeful thing imo. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if you mean destroying how race relations have been, isn't that good? the respect and support he's receiving is a hopeful thing imo. 

If you think destroying how race relations have been in the US and/or Canada is good, then I would strongly suggest a study of human history, and of human rights elsewhere in the world at the present time.  A lot of people would greatly, greatly benefit from study of the US and/or Canadian constitutions and how they have been implemented to improve human rights in both countries more or less continuously for decades on end.

You should take great care that you have a better solution than what is currently the greatest equality probably ever achieved in human history, before tearing down the system that has led to that result.

You are basically suggesting tearing down the system that produced a black president for eight years in a row, before one administration has passed since his presidency.

As I said earlier in the thread, let us not pretend things are more extreme than they are at the present time, just to feel good about thinking they are bad.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Honks in Darkness said:

Don't expect people who get their entire political worldviews from the mainstream media and superhero movies to be able to understand how much they've been duped by the fallacious narrative of 'systemic white supremacy'.

Yeah, getting my news from a bunch of deluded idiots who do mental gymnastics to defend biogtry is so much better...

Clam dupe?

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1