The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ok to demand an NHL coach yet? Asking for a friend.

Rate this topic

Got the Babych

Been so freaking excited for weeks and jonesing for months. All our individual players have been looking great, and I was really hoping we could capitalize on our few week window.

But I’ve been watching a lot more non Canuck hockey than usual lately, and watching real teams has been a rude awakening. 

Edited by Got the Babych
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

25 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

All our individual players have been looking great

Really?  Let's read that again...  all our individual players have been looking great.  Hmmm, not sure what game you were watching, it could be said that a lot of "individual players" looked terrible and slow as molasses out there. 

I've always felt Green was hired to be an interim coach until the team is ready to contend.

Give the team a couple more years to mature.  By that time Green will have hit his Best Before date.  New coach is hired, takes the team to the promised land.

• Wat 1

24 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Really?  Let's read that again...  all our individual players have been looking great.  Hmmm, not sure what game you were watching, it could be said that a lot of "individual players" looked terrible and slow as molasses out there. 

I could see it looking that way. I saw it more as confusion, like no one expected to do hockey. To me it looked like many individuals were going hard but surprised to be in an NHL game with no plan.

9 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I've always felt Green was hired to be an interim coach until the team is ready to contend.

Give the team a couple more years to mature.  By that time Green will have hit his Best Before date.  New coach is hired, takes the team to the promised land.

Don’t think Benning has 2 more years. If we miss the playoffs next year and win the lottery it would be an absolute disaster.  There would be riots again in the streets.  1994 would look like an opening act. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

We've already played the "fire the coach to fix it" card

The problems with this team go way higher up the chain of command

Maybe, but don't you think the talent level we're icing right now is pretty fricking great? I don't think firing Willie for another non NHL coach is playing our last card (if that's what you meant)

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Why not have a good coach while they're maturing?

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don’t think Benning has 2 more years. If we miss the playoffs next year and win the lottery it would be an absolute disaster.  There would be riots again in the streets.  1994 would look like an opening act. 

Maybe it will be a total housecleaning instead.

• Cheers 1

Green is not the problem but I never have forgotten about the way he coached, like a blown leads, wrong defensive line matching assignments.  I think that Green is a good one but not right fit for this group.   If he cannot adjust in next couple of games, we do need a better coach with better assistant coach.  Let's see if he is able to make some adjustments or it will be a short series.  If he would rather to play his vets rather than what's best for this group, he will have to go.  If the vets are better than their young and I haven't seen it.  If the young is better than the vets but he can't get them on the ice, he then must go.  If he doesn't shorten the bench with game on line and remain steadfast stubborn then he must go.  The coach is all about adjustments on the fly, not game to game but minute to minute adjustments.

Yeah,  I remember fedorfedorov making a fire green thread and he was flamed hard. Coach green hasn't really won anything at any level and I'm not sure why he'd suddenly start in the NHL. look at a team like Edmonton, there's a team that builds the roster properly, I mean their GM just got into the hall of fame for crying out loud. It's too bad because NHL players can actually afford this city but I feel without a doubt Green's lack of experience, hockey IQ, and maybe IQ in general really hinder this team from getting good players. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

7 hours ago, Canucks_since_birth said:

Yeah,  I remember fedorfedorov making a fire green thread and he was flamed hard. Coach green hasn't really won anything at any level and I'm not sure why he'd suddenly start in the NHL. look at a team like Edmonton, there's a team that builds the roster properly, I mean their GM just got into the hall of fame for crying out loud. It's too bad because NHL players can actually afford this city but I feel without a doubt Green's lack of experience, hockey IQ, and maybe IQ in general really hinder this team from getting good players. 

EDM builds a roster properly?  How they do that?   Factually one of the worst drafting teams the past 15 years.  Who outside of the first overall or top five picks have they added to their lineup?  And they blew a first overall on Yakupov and a fourth on Puljajarvi so cant even do that right.   Sure they’ve added a few ok players (Kassian, Neal)... but don’t have the cap space for much else and are relying on an aging goalie to take them to the promised land.   Wouldn’t be surprised to see CHI win this round either.   Holland did nothing for EDM either ... he’s the architect of the Detroit teams ... but sure you know that right?  And he left that team in the dumpster which was bound to happen eventually and is the exact same thing that happened to us ... and here we are post Sedin  a couple years and already back in it.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I think it's fair to want a different coach but at least after we get eliminted and it depends how.  If we lose 3 straight for example then yes.  We also haven't been playing that great even during the last 5 weeks of our season.   Heard Gallant is available.  I wouldn't mind him to be honest.

This is fair.   Hope that doesn’t happen of course.   What really worries me is we do make a change and things get worse.  If that happens the writings on the wall and a new GM could come in and blow it all up and waste 3-4 years doing it all over. 

• Cheers 1

I do think we need a new coach as green just seems out his depth.

but the issues go a lot deeper. We don’t really have a team identity or a clear style of play, we rely a lot on individual skill to get by. 

the coaching structure needs focus from special teams to defensive structure to offensive zone entry. I think without understanding exactly how we want to play we will always struggle. We need clear communication between GM and coachBig so that players being brought in fit the system, and that we have a clear system 

Maybe it's the roster?  Sutter, Myers, Beagle, Toffoli, Roussel and Pearson all brought in by Benning and all ineffective last night.  When that amount of your roster is a no show the coach is just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.  Not sure about defensive assignments, pretty sure that's Baumers department and the too many men penalty could've been a player, Brown or Green mistake.  I still support Green.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1