The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sharing Thoughts on Covid, Hockey and Other Things (Warning TLDR)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

6 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

Thank you for sharing... wow that was a read and heart felt. I to lost my job back in late March and has been a tough go for me personally as well. I must say I have been on these boards as a guest for years but finally last night I said eff it I want to join this community because of people like you Deb. CDC has been great for me because I love this team and want to see them win a damn cup in my lifetime ::D and I look forward to celebrating with all of you. Thanks for having me. Cheers 

Thank you so much for sharing.  You too, huh (job loss)?   At the best of times, it can be challenging to find a new job...this COVID deal is sending that through the roof.  I wish you the very best of luck moving forward.

And we sure will all celebrate that cup win here together.  Hopefully, sooner rather than later!  (This year??)  ;)

Glad you came on board with us...the more, the merrier and it's a pleasure to have you here.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thank you so much for sharing.  You too, huh (job loss)?   At the best of times, it can be challenging to find a new job...this COVID deal is sending that through the roof.  I wish you the very best of luck moving forward.

And we sure will all celebrate that cup win here together.  Hopefully, sooner rather than later!  (This year??)  ;)

Glad you came on board with us...the more, the merrier and it's a pleasure to have you here.

You are awesome :)

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Wow and I thought I was crazy with my need to watch the Canucks. You Lady take it to a whole nother level.

I mean that in the best way. I tip my cap to you setting the bar that high. Good luck in your job hunt without 

a doubt you were meant to leave that place and move to something better. Some people would call that 

a blessing in disguise. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks NucksIn50 & Shirotashi.  

Bri....sounds familiar and like you're in a bit of a similar situation to what I was in.  Good for you for exploring other options and not feeling like you're "stuck".  Our jobs are to create income and pay bills but they should NOT drag us down.  Laughed at is really inappropriate.  Especially at the hands of people who sound so out of touch and ignorant.  I wish you the best of luck...you're a very smart, well spoken young woman and you'll be just fine whatever you do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thanks NucksIn50 & Shirotashi.  

Bri....sounds familiar and like you're in a bit of a similar situation to what I was in.  Good for you for exploring other options and not feeling like you're "stuck".  Our jobs are to create income and pay bills but they should NOT drag us down.  Laughed at is really inappropriate.  Especially at the hands of people who sound so out of touch and ignorant.  I wish you the best of luck...you're a very smart, well spoken young woman and you'll be just fine whatever you do.

Well said Deb and yes you do you Bri... fingers crossed for ya and hope you land the new job. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing Deb. I always appreciate someone sharing about some of the deeper things in their life. Personally, I've been fortunate, as aside from Canuck hockey, COVID hasn't taken too much away from me that I need to function. As an extremely introverted person, my social life changed very little. I'm blessed to still be working and continue to have strong job stability and a very supportive work environment, even if it's a bit of a dead-end job with mediocre pay. I'll take a healthy work environment over a strong pay day every day of the week. 

I'm not sure how much I'll watch if the Canucks get knocked out. Traditionally, I've been a Canucks and Canucks only kind of guy, so I wouldn't follow the playoffs much once we were out, except maybe for the finals. This year might be different if I can get over my butt-hurt when/if we're knocked out. I'm definitely a jealous fan and that interferes with my ability to watch other teams succeed and enjoy it.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Well, you'll always have us Deb!  Thanks for sharing.  Things work out for the best.  I was in a similar situation.  Accounting manager for roofing company.  The boss/owner had a really bad temper.  So much so that there were pictures hung up on the wall in the weirdest places, in an attempt to hide the holes he made by throwing his cell phone at the wall (remember the phones the size of bricks back then?).  I worked there for 9 years before I moved on.  Best thing I did.  Got a govt. job and 18 years later here I am.  Looking at retirement.  This forum is like therapy for me coping with Covid.  I sometimes go onto other forum sites and get into arguments with ignorant people (mostly anti maskers down south) and come back here for some sanity.  Glad to see Hockey back though its been an adjustment for me not seeing fans in the stands and not much in the way of fan noise.  I was at the arena for the last game before Covid.  The atmosphere of the arena when Miller scored in overtime, man I'm going to miss that.

• Like 1

Deb, I know you've shared pieces of your story over the past several months, but reading it all in one post reiterates how amazing you are. Even though we are just strangers sitting at a keyboard, I think (almost, because there has to be "that guy") everyone would agree that you are caring, have tenacity, and never play the victim  - you take what life throws at you and you do your best with it, while trying to remain as positive as possible while getting through it. I hope the journey to the Canucks winning the Stanley Cup 8 weeks from now is the start of a period of positive events for you

COVID has had the opposite impact on my work life. I have worked at my current employer for 29 years, and the 4-5 months have been the busiest I have ever been. We are a national retailer, so my work like has been spent revising sales and production forecasts for the next 1-12 months....

Born in East Van in 1970, the Canucks have been my team since the late 70s when i would sneak a transistor radio into bed to listen to the games (8pm start back then!) 

I have found the return to play to be better than expected. Like you, I held by hopes in check until the puck dropped, especially after seeing what was happening as baseball started up (I know they are travelling, etc, but it did serve as another reminder that this is so tenuous)

First game I watched was Game 1 vs Min, and found by period 2 that I had adapted to the backdrop, lack of fans, etc (though I am still not used to whatever that animal is on Friedman's face)

IF the Canucks are eliminated, I will have much less interest - I'll watch a game if I am home and not busy, but I won't go out of my way. A daily check in on the scores will be enough most days. 

Enjoy the game today - keep cheering for the team! Positive thoughts for your personal future as well.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Wow, Deb and others, thanks for sharing your stories.  Mine is similar but different.  I retired from 40 years in a corporate job in 2019, started a new career in fitness.  When COVID hit I was terminated, laid off or not scheduled any longer depending on the job (I had 3 different ones).  Thankfully I still had a pension cheque from my corporate life. 

I found the first few weeks really tough, being single and not having family the "stay home" part was tough.  Very grateful for the friends who would text or email regularly to make sure I was ok.  Given that I had no one to worry about infecting, I volunteered to shop for others so that gave me a reason to be amongst people, even if it was at the grocery store.  

I think I went through all the stages of grieving, sadness, anger at the lost way of life, probably at the acceptance stage now that life as we knew it is probably never going to come back.  

I'm incredibly grateful that golf never really stopped, I've been playing more than most years because I have the time and the resources to be able to, it gives me a social outlet as I'm on the course for 4+ hours with good friends.  I'm back at the gym and have found a new tribe with a private studio that is offering cycling classes and slowly moving back to inperson fitness classes.  

Interviewed this week for a role in fitness, will see what comes of that.  In the meantime, I'm working as a mobile personal trainer.  

Enjoying the Canucks, not sure how much I'll watch if they are eliminated, probably will live with highlights and web coverage.  

I've found it interesting that COVID seems to highlight the differences among us, it's reinforced the freedoms that we have that we probably take for granted too much.  It's also brought out how we all view the world through our own lens and our actions are generally self serving and not necessarily for the greater good of all.  I honestly am shocked at the anti mask movement - it seems like such a minor inconvenience that could benefit everyone by reducing the risk of transmission.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Not sure why jobs (including mine) seem to go out of their way to make life unpleasant for its staff. I see lots of great people run into the ground. I know jobs aren't always easy.

I had a manager who once told me you spend 1/3rd of your life at your job, that's a long time if you're not happy with your job. I get it there are demands and pressures. 

But you shouldn't dread going to work. Good luck on your searches for better jobs folks. 

I'm glad hockey is back. I'm going through a little anxiety as they want us back at head office shortly. So it will be a one week at the office, one week work from home. I'm just concerned with Covid numbers spiking why are we putting more staff at risk? Guess we will find out shortly. 

Stay safe everyone, keep your heads up, and your stick on the ice. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

@-AJ-   Your situation sounds similar to my son and daughter in law's....they, too, are fairly introverted and with the option to work from home, are carrying on pretty much "business as usual".  Except that we don't see each other much because my son has had pneumonia twice in the recent past (pre Covid), so I'm pretty protective of that.  I was just like you...once the Canucks were out I was too.  Done.   But I found new life in just watching other teams carry on after elimination because it was easier watching them...without the emotional investment, I could just enjoy the games.  And the intensity being through the roof meant it was some really good hockey.  So, although I will never cheer for another team and don't care, at all, what happens if we're out....I watch hockey until the bitter end and it's all said and done now.  Just makes the off season shorter.  :)

@coho8888  Wow, our stories are similar indeed!  My boss, too, would have fits of anger and slam his phone down or his fists on his desk.  It's super stressful trying to be productive in that type of environment.  Your story gives me hope though!  :)

@rychicken   I love the stories you (and a few others) tell of sneaking a transistor radio in to bed to listen to games.  I was lucky...my parents had a radio in the kitchen and the games would BLARE out of that thing.  I think the whole neighbourhood got to hear them.  I get it re no interest in other teams...I pretty much am not interested in the outcome, just the content of the game because it's usually some really fast and furious hockey.  I truly appreciate your kind words and your support  here.  If I didn't have CDC over this strange COVID period, I think I'd be completely lost.  This place, as crazy as it gets, helps keep me grounded.  Like minded hockey fans feel like family to me.

@skategal   Seems like we're feeling a lot of the same things around COVID.  I like how  you described it perfectly through the different stages...so true.  The one thing that was really a blessing in all of this was the ability TO be outdoors in nature.  I found that being by the river gave me hope, peace and a distraction from all the news I was taking in.  I actually stopped watching the news to give myself a bit of a break because it was overkil and overwhelming at times.  All the "what if's?".  The though of potentially losing vulnerable family members if others in society didn't do what we needed to was a helpless feeling.  So I understand, fully, the shock at the anti mask movement too.  But I'm learning not to focus on what I can't control because it used to fire me up and make me angry but it doesn't change anything.  I try, now, to just share information.  Tough because my brother's being swayed by friends to now think this is a bit of a hoax and the numbers are fudged...which means he's letting his guard down around Dad.  That's a super tough situation but I just do what I can, from my end, to take care of Dad and give him information to protect himself.

I truly enjoy the input here.  Although we do have the COVID thread it tends to be argumentative and be focused in an us versus them way.  I really wanted to tap into how other's are feeling and how something like hockey is such a huge lifeline during this rather catastrophic event.   

Always reluctant to "go on and on" (I tend to do that) about "me", I also like to get to know people beyond the surface because we have some really great people here. And I thank all of you for listening (and sharing).

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not sure why jobs (including mine) seem to go out of their way to make life unpleasant for its staff. I see lots of great people run into the ground. I know jobs aren't always easy.

I had a manager who once told me you spend 1/3rd of your life at your job, that's a long time if you're not happy with your job. I get it there are demands and pressures. 

But you shouldn't dread going to work. Good luck on your searches for better jobs folks. 

I'm glad hockey is back. I'm going through a little anxiety as they want us back at head office shortly. So it will be a one week at the office, one week work from home. I'm just concerned with Covid numbers spiking why are we putting more staff at risk? Guess we will find out shortly. 

Stay safe my friend.  It would be anxiety inducing for me, too.  If there's a way to work remotely, it certainly makes sense right now to do so.

I had a great job that I left because the business was moving and there was no room for advancing or increasing the wages (which were very low).  But it was a fun atmosphere that really supported a work-life balance.  So I've definitely seen both sides and know how motivating it can be TO ensure staff are happy.  Everyone loved being at work and I sometimes regret leaving.  Was offered a job that was 2.5 times the pay but there were certainly things that factored in to overall "happiness" with the change.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Not to make this a total gripe post.......but!

I am retired, which was mostly due to my health history of a heart attack, and stress related issue around work. I was fortunate to be able to retire, albeit prematurely, but it was the best avenue for me at the time. Money gets tight once and a while, but there is always someone in  a worse situation, so I usually try to adapt and blow it off.

Then Covid came, and I lost on my RRSP's, which took a hit, so I had to reduce my withdrawals, which reduced my over all monthly income. I checked and rechecked with government agencies to see if there was any relief for us early retirees, but no....apparently we are not are not in need.................

So, when put in a jam, I tend to think too much, and started to get depressed. But I have developed a better attitude towards these things and have used the 24 hour clause in my life to be able to handle it better..............basically do not fret about it for 24 hours, then make the necessary adjustments, and get on with life. Which works great except when dealing with a 92 year mother, whose house is falling apart.....................which is another story for another time!

I am pretty active, so I have always used sports to escape those issues ( Both playing and watching) but when Covid came, it kinda squashed the TV sports, and also any hockey or golf I played..............forunately the golf started up again on the Island and I was able to get away a couple of times a week, which really helps, but the darn Covid also closed down the Starbucks, which really put a kink into my day to day.................Thank you Dr. Henry for opening up the coffee shops again! Thank you so, Very, very, very much!

But still there was something missing, and even posting "Trade Boeser" posts did not fill the emptiness, which was remaining.........Then the NHL announced that they intended to re-start the season and playoffs.........to say I was sceptic, is an understatement! But sure enough, here we are! Hockey again, and this time, with our beloved Canucks........

It feels somewhat normal now, and with Golf and Hockey now back on the tube, life is getting back to normal..........now if they would only announce a vaccine!

Thanks for starting this post Deb, as it is good to have a better perspective on how life could get worse, and sharing the stories, cements my thoughts about how much I care for my fellow CDCers......................now if we could just hear from Alf! ...........(who I am honestly worried about!)

Love you all ! Even Coastal!  :emot-parrot:

:bigblush:

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Haha! Your comment of what your manager said reminded me of this..........

I had a manager tell me repeatedly, that when my deckhand acted up, I should take him around the corner and punch him out! Haha. that was his solution! And would have been the end of my career, if I had acted on it! I did not!

Just like there are good and bad employees, there are good and bad bosses!

i can’t say that covid 19 or the loss of hockey has really impacted my life that much. it has been more the things that have happened during it that are the most sobering in my life. first my bleeding ulcer and health scare and then my grandson’s room mate and best friend was hit by a train and killed. between the recovery and alex moving back home, life is different.

i’m enjoying hockey being back but i have it placed down the list of important things in life.

as far as work is concerned, i had worked for years at jobs where the money was good but unfulfilling. life changed when i finally realized what i was good at and made me happy. i found that working with developmentally challenged people, then young offenders and then seniors gave me so much pleasure and the feeling of accomplishment, i wouldn’t change that for gold. 

coaching little league baseball and hockey and writing a sports column for our local paper was most rewarding. 

thank you big casino for your story. knowing you, i can feel the grief you’ve had. i’m glad your a strong person and can over come any adversity in your life

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

covid changes everything i only get a shift a week bartending has  basically been cancelled i dont even wanna go in because its random people breathing inside  thous mask wont really stop it if  is in air  but once cerb ends im gonna need to work a ton i might just apply for a gov job to or something i can do remotely. One good thing is being anle to spend time doing more photography  keeping busy is healthy for everyone its not good being locked inside 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Thanks for sharing all of this Deb. I am happy that hockey has brought some joy as it has for me. I have had a rough go of it as well. My tourism business I started in Uni 25 years ago has been very hard hit and I have taken a beating financially and personally with no end in sight. Went from 100 employees to 2 nearly overnight. 

As an employer who is knowledgeable on employment law, I should tell you that your situation would keep me up at night if I was in your bosses shoes. Terminating someone for safety complaints is a one way ticket to lawsuit town. Not my business and I am sure you have considered it but please consider speaking to an employment lawyer to see if you have a case. I suspect you do. That was textbook wrongful termination as you may be owed substantial severance. 

I hope that doesn’t come across as mansplaining but often people who are hurting emotionally will fail to stick up for themselves legally. Hate to see that guy get away with that behavior. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1