The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild | August 7th, 2020 | 7:45pm PT, SNP | SCQ Game #4

Rate this topic

Roberts

2 hours ago, mll said:

He's officiating the Arizona-Nashville game.

O'Rourke and Joannette for tonight's game per scouting the refs.

And up to his usual rubbish self. Apparently if someone skates into you, they get an interference call in their favour 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I disagree.   And am convinced this factors in:

The "goal' of the game is to get the puck in order to score.  He has no interest in it here...clearly.  I do think he may have let up a bit...I believe that was likely more for his sake than Petey's though.  

Agree 100% Deb. Hartman only “let up“ to protect himself. With Petey bent over like that, if Hartman continues his original path, he effectively would’ve been “hip checked” by Petey and probably he’d have launched himself face first into the glass. He adjusts his path so he can complete his hit on Petey (who is clearly in a very vulnerable position), and then he puts up his arms to brace himself for his own collision. If he really wanted to “let up,” he could have easily avoided Petey all together. You can see Hughes is coming in at the same speed and he easily stops on a dime. Of course, not everyone has Huggy’s edges, but there was plenty of time and space for any NHL skater to recognized the dangerous situation and pull up to avoid contact. Hartman basically just adjusts his hips so that he can continue his path through Pettersson with his lower body, while using his arms to brace against the glass and maintain his own balance and protect only himself. Of course, the hit could’ve been much worse. Hartman could have adjusted by taking a “low bridge” approach, and exploding through Pettersson using his centre of gravity. But he’s a hockey player, not a serial killer, so I don’t give him much credit for not trying to actually murder another player. He saw Pettersson in an extremely vulnerable position, where basically any kind of contact had a very high chance of causing an injury, and he chose not to stop.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Can anyone explain these refree stats?

Eg, easiest to be confused by ,,,OT/SO games.  O'Rourke has 40, representing 18% of what? T'other has 6, representing 32%, again, of what?

Both have called 18 penalties on the home team, representing 48% of all penalties they called.  Over 3 PO games? And if they have called 8% more on away teams, ie 56%, that doesn't add up

Just 2 of these stats that puzzle - is there a primer to be found, or a legend?  (Or am I just dumb?)

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Can anyone explain these refree stats?

Eg, easiest to be confused by ,,,OT/SO games.  O'Rourke has 40, representing 18% of what? T'other has 6, representing 32%, again, of what?

Both have called 18 penalties on the home team, representing 48% of all penalties they called.  Over 3 PO games? And if they have called 8% more on away teams, ie 56%, that doesn't add up

Just 2 of these stats that puzzle - is there a primer to be found, or a legend?  (Or am I just dumb?)

my interpretation

18% of the games he reffed went to OT/SO, ranking him 40th among referees

48% of penalties against the home team, ranking him 18th among referees in the regular season

the road team is penalized 8% more of the time. It is not 56/48 as you outline, as there are offsetting penalties included in the 48%

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I guess it depends on what the definition of "good" game is.

Disciplined.

Hard fought.

Invested.

It's playins/offs.....it's a battle out there and our series is taking that to a new level.  He was engaged and wasn't going to stand for his goaltender to be abused.  In my eyes, that's a good game.

yeah, but did he drive the Zamboni??

I've posted enough times that I am not a huge fan of our defence, and that I view Myers as a 6th D at best on a decent team, but I was impressed with his game

• Vintage 2

Just now, rychicken said:

yeah, but did he drive the Zamboni??

I've posted enough times that I am not a huge fan of our defence, and that I view Myers as a 6th D at best on a decent team, but I was impressed with his game

No he smashed into the Zamboni and knocked it out of the rink.

I wasn't a huge Myers fan...that's changing.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Preds going into OT, could this set the start time back for the later games....

I'm ok with that...."later" for the Wild than it is for us.  If that makes sense (although I'm sure they've adjusted by now).