The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Players Talk

Rate this topic

Think its time for me to go on a bit of a rant. As I am working on my first Friday night martini if by chance I make little sense my apologies in advance.

Why is it hockey players seem to be in love with the word "obviously"? It reminds me of a teenager who has latched onto to the new hot word du jour. Every player can't seem to get through a 2 minute interview withour using the word multiple times. If in fact the situation is so obvious then there should be no need to say so. 

And while I am at it, how about people who like to say something to the affect of "to be honest with you". Maybe it is just me but I can't help wondering have they been bull$&!#ting up until then?  

Cheers!

Think of it this way. You know how there are guys who live and die in the gym, and they are just braindead “Chadbros”? Ok, now multiply that by 100, and add in the fact that since they were 10, nobody has ever said “No” to them.

These guys aren’t the brightest people in the world. The word “professional” isn’t meant in the same way in which you would use it for a lawyer, or even a cell phone salesman.

Edited by Monty
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Monty said:

Think of it this way. You know how there are guys who live and die in the gym, and they are just braindead “Chadbros”? Ok, now multiply that by 100, and add in the fact that since they were 10, nobody has ever said “No” to them.

These guys aren’t the brightest people in the world. The word “professional” isn’t meant in the same way in which you would use it for a lawyer, or even a cell phone salesman.

To be honest with you Monty that should have been obvious to me. Cheers!

• Haha 1

Most players aren't that interesting as interviews, which is why it's unique when some guys are more interesting and talk in different ways. Guys like Juice in the past and Beagle and Sutter on the current team are examples of players who use cliche language far less often and are more interesting to listen too.

I don't acknowledge the uneducated narrative, just listen to a bottom six grinder like Rousell speak- very intelligent and well spoken. 

I think they are just tossing back what has been asked them by whoever asshat has a press pass.

These questions they are asked are often obvious at best, and at worst, insulting.

They want to maintain whatever power they have in the exchange as to keep confidence high, that all powerful magic feather that all players seek and few can clutch onto. 

So they call a spade a spade... obviously. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, reyezone said:

I don't acknowledge the uneducated narrative, just listen to a bottom six grinder like Rousell speak- very intelligent and well spoken. 

I think they are just tossing back what has been asked them by whoever asshat has a press pass.

These questions they are asked are often obvious at best, and at worst, insulting.

They want to maintain whatever power they have in the exchange as to keep confidence high, that all powerful magic feather that all players seek and few can clutch onto. 

So they call a spade a spade... obviously. 

Rooster grew up in France where nobody cared if he was good at hockey and so things weren't handed to him on a silver platter.

People have been talking about Jake Virtanen since he was 9 years old. His vocabulary hasn't really expanded since that point. 

Hockey is much more enjoyable once you accept that you should admire 90% of these guys for the ability to play hockey and nothing else. There are definite exceptions to this. Petey comes across as a very grounded person. Same with Boes. Because they have gone through adversity. Mitchy Marner had his Daddy pay for extra ice time since he was six years old. He has been rich his entire life and only needed to be good at one thing. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Rooster grew up in France where nobody cared if he was good at hockey and so things weren't handed to him on a silver platter.

People have been talking about Jake Virtanen since he was 9 years old. His vocabulary hasn't really expanded since that point. 

Hockey is much more enjoyable once you accept that you should admire 90% of these guys for the ability to play hockey and nothing else. There are definite exceptions to this. Petey comes across as a very grounded person. Same with Boes. Because they have gone through adversity. Mitchy Marner had his Daddy pay for extra ice time since he was six years old. He has been rich his entire life and only needed to be good at one thing. 

Think what we would be like if we only complete half of high school... that's essentially an NHL player (in most cases), especially those that went through the CHL.

I would guess that 90% of North American NHL players grew up in affluent house holds. It's an expensive sport and even more expensive to pursue the elite avenues of youth hockey. You don't get the rags to riches story as often as other sports in which all you need is a ball.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Think about how weird people thought Ken Dryden, a legitimately intelligent man, was.  Most other sports have most of the guys at least going through the motions of playing in the NCAA to get some semblance of an education.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

Think its time for me to go on a bit of a rant. As I am working on my first Friday night martini if by chance I make little sense my apologies in advance.

Why is it hockey players seem to be in love with the word "obviously"? It reminds me of a teenager who has latched onto to the new hot word du jour. Every player can't seem to get through a 2 minute interview withour using the word multiple times. If in fact the situation is so obvious then there should be no need to say so. 

And while I am at it, how about people who like to say something to the affect of "to be honest with you". Maybe it is just me but I can't help wondering have they been bull$&!#ting up until then?  

Cheers!

I don't have high expectations from a hockey player in the heat of the battle.  The word "Obviously" is a good one because it gives the player an out if they say something that everybody expects.  I don't read anything in to it tbh.  Public speaking is difficult

18 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

Cheers!

There are a lot of dumb questions asked by the media. Some may be using the word "obviously" in sort of a sarcastic tone to suggest the answer is indeed obvious and didn't really need to be said so.

A lot of answers are generally catered to the audience in which that response is likely going to. It doesn't mean that they're BSing, but could simply be trying to be careful with their answer. When they say "to be honest with you", it implies the answer they are giving is more to the truth of how they feel.

5 hours ago, crobar said:

With most hockey players it is vanilla, cliche, cliche, cliche when it comes to interviews. Used to like Brett Hulls interviews at least he expressed his actual views and didnt mind being controversial. 

Drunk Brett Hull was the best part of last year's playoffs.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:21 AM, crobar said:

With most hockey players it is vanilla, cliche, cliche, cliche when it comes to interviews. Used to like Brett Hulls interviews at least he expressed his actual views and didnt mind being controversial. 

This is it.

Hockey players in general are brought up in the game with a "team first" mentality and interviews naturally follow a bland, cliche filled pattern. This is why we love to see guys like Hull, or Juice in interviews. At some point in their careers, they decided to heck with it and just be themselves when the microphone is placed in front of them.

Sometimes, it gets then in trouble. Hull took a bit of flak for saying he didn't like hockey, but he was good at it (this was a poorly veiled criticism of officiating) and guys like Lindros and Roenick were sometimes a bit too honest. JR's "the fans can kiss my a$$" pretty much changed a lot of people's perceptions of him from a fun-loving, "shoot from the hip" player, to an entitled jerk, in one ill-advised moment.

20 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Drunk Brett Hull was the best part of last year's playoffs.

He looked like he might have partaken during the All-Star skills competition as well.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....just under 750 career goals says you earned the right to have a few pops whenever you damn well feel like it in my books.....

• Cheers 1