The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the season a success no matter what else happens?

Rate this topic

JM_

Is the season a success no matter what else happens?   

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Going up against a still great MTL team in the preliminary round in 81 was also considered a pivotal series for them.   Occasionally I still read about this was Messiers pivotal series which set him on the road to become the player he was ... going up against the guy that tamed the PHI flyers Robinson and threatening to bash his teeth in with his stick if he or anyone went after Gretzky, Coffey or any of their stat players... he had zero points in the 3 game sweep...never read much about WG and his 11 points though against the best defensive team in the league and fourth highest scoring (MTL), one of the best overall still and EDM had a below .500 record themselves.

Point is like others have pointed out - even the best teams ever take some time to get traction and don’t come out of nowhere and win the cup right away.   NYI also paid their dues in the mid -70’s from the time Potvin was drafted right through the MTL dynasty.   There were a lot of great teams back then too, PHI came close during their record unbeaten streak under Quin...there might have been three consecutive dynasties but they sure had to work for it. 

Beating MIN and because they count as playoff game I’m already pretty happy with this team, if somehow we can beat the cup champs this season would go from a success (which it already is IMO), to exceeding expectations by a long shot.   None of our young guys wilted, QHs came out as the scoring champ for defenseman, heck even Tanev was tied for second,  EP and BB were key players and didn’t back down.   And we did it with essentially the same lineup (all three wins) that we went with in the regular season.   

Part of me is a little worried that getting TT back could screw with the chemistry a little.   It shouldn’t - but it won’t be the first time I’ve seen this with not just ours but many other teams in the past.   It also puts to rest in my mind that we don’t have “cap “ issues.    A few minor tweaks and lose a little depth we haven’t needed anyways.   Stecher could be replaced with OJ by moving him to the R side (he can play both),  or just for with Rafferty, or like we did with Fatenburg and Schenn before him just look for an underused cheap alternative.   And we could trade Pearson if Ferland doesn’t end back on the LTIR, play with a shortened bench etc etc.    

Adding Myers changed the victim culture - finally a guy that bullies the snot out of the other team.   If only Gudbranson played like that.   Huge massive upgrade.   Adding QHs changed our special teams completely.   Despite all the calls to fire Newell Brown we have one of the deadliest PPs in the league as QHs feasted on it.     Miller trade is won already even if we get swept.   A 17-19th overall - whoopie do.   And it could be in the mid 20’s by the time we are done.  

Was a little worried before the MIN series that next year could be a down year.   Now I’m very confident we, like other young teams of the past - are on a similar path as theirs.   PIT might be a better comparison really.   Maybe CHI. 

I get a distinct '08-'09 hawks feeling about this group. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I can't really think of any good reason to wish ill on the Jets or their fans.

Nope.   Feel bad for them - they like us have suffered over the years - worse really.   Nords fans too.   What a waste having a team in ARI and FLR with dick for a fan base and a hungry already built  arena, and an ownership group ready and a faithful fanbase to this day - plus a huge rivalry with the Habs and they have to cheer for COL ha ha.   Just sucks for them.   Personally I’m ok with any Canadian team winning a cup even the Leafs (although they’d be my last choice).   Only Vancouver and Calgary are left and we are in the same conference... sure would be great if we met and re-kindled the old rivalry from the late 80’s to the mid-90’s wouldn’t it? 

• Vintage 1

No. If our young players whimper under true pressure like the Leafs core and show worrying signs that we have 4 straight 1st round exits ahead of us, that'd be a cause for concern moving forward and I would not call that success.

I want to see further evidence of fighter mentality from our young players.

Go to the conference finals. Beat some stronger teams along the way like the Canes.

• Wat 2

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I can't really think of any good reason to wish ill on the Jets or their fans.

I hope they win the lottery.  That would be the 'fairest'/best result imo.

Not many teams can lose an entire right side of their blueline - Byfuglien, Myers and Trouba - possibly the best right side in the NHL - and still be as competitive as they were this year.

I hope they get some reinforcements.   1st overall to Winnipeg would make me very happy.  1st overall to any of Toronto, Edmonton or Pittsburgh and I'm gonna vomit.  Mickey mouse that the NHL would even allow that to be a possibility. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Hold on a second there, you're not getting with the narrative coming out of various Leafs circles.

These games weren't an actual playoff round as some are suggesting, they were a qualifying or "buy in" round, and the playoffs start on Tuesday. This way Leafs Nation doesn't have to suffer the ignominy of having once again lost in the first round of the playoffs, but rather that they just didn't qualify for the playoffs. Apparently not qualifying is preferable to actually making the playoffs, and then getting bounced in the first round. Had the Leafs won, the line would have been how great is that the Leafs finally won the first round of the playoffs...

Either way, there is lots of talk from those circles that no one will care by the time next year rolls around and the Leafs win their first of several Cups in a row.

regards,  G.

All part of the genius of the Spamaplan.  Leafs fans just need to be patient.

They missed the playoffs so they could get back in the running for the magic bean.

They just need one more lottery franchise center. 

Then they'll be ready to start their dynastic run of inevitable Stanley Cups.

If they can just get Laff-ren-yay - then their renovation will be right on pace again.   The Canucks and Benning, on the other hand, are destined to lag behind.

#proper-rebuild.

Edited by oldnews

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I hope they win the lottery.  That would be the 'fairest'/best result imo.

Not many teams can lose an entire right side of their blueline - Byfuglien, Myers and Trouba - possibly the best right side in the NHL - and still be as competitive as they were this year.

I hope they get some reinforcements.   1st overall to Winnipeg would make me very happy.  1st overall to any of Toronto, Edmonton or Pittsburgh and I'm gonna vomit.  Mickey mouse that the NHL would even allow that to be a possibility. 

I feel bad for them.  This is supposed to be their time - when they contend with older great players and young vets ... tragic for their fan base no doubt.  WNP isn’t that bad.  Neither is ONT or ALB or QC.   I get the rivalry attention but have never understood the hate towards other CAN teams...it’s fun to poke at TO of course but I’d still rather they won then yet another US team.  Bring the cup back where it belongs somebody!!! Larkin from THN thinks we will be the team to do it - love the love he’s shown towards us throughout JB reign. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I can't lie and say I won't be utterly disappointed if they fall apart but I have confidence they won't.  I don't expect them to breeze through anything but the secret will be to not fade out.  To be resilient and fight back.

Confidence can be a double edge sword so I hope it helps rather than hinders them.  But, honestly, with the veterans in place to keep that in check, I don't expect that to be an issue.

I already feel it's a success in a big picture way.  They are proving that they can compete at a tough level of play.  When injuries aren't plaguing us (as they have in the past) and everyone's fit and ready to go...we are a force.  We've beat some tough teams before in some great games (that Av's game will forever be one of my favourites).  This team is solidifying that they're for real.  A work in progress and at the early stages of this, but the potential that's there is really exciting.  And they'll lose the reps of being pushovers if they continue to push back.

We might not get it all in one go...but we're building some great experience to work from.  And I have hope that they can keep this thing going for awhile.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

They missed the playoffs so they could get back in the running for the magic bean.

If they can just get Laff-ren-yay - then their renovation will be right on pace again.   The Canucks and Benning, on the other hand, are destined to lag behind.

#proper-rebuild.

Indeed. Why do you need defense or goaltending as long as you can score one more than the other guy. I suppose they are waiting for that rule change that limits games to a shootout format only. Those are so exciting.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nope.   Feel bad for them - they like us have suffered over the years - worse really.   Nords fans too.   What a waste having a team in ARI and FLR with dick for a fan base and a hungry already built  arena, and an ownership group ready and a faithful fanbase to this day - plus a huge rivalry with the Habs and they have to cheer for COL ha ha.   Just sucks for them.   Personally I’m ok with any Canadian team winning a cup even the Leafs (although they’d be my last choice).   Only Vancouver and Calgary are left and we are in the same conference... sure would be great if we met and re-kindled the old rivalry from the late 80’s to the mid-90’s wouldn’t it? 

Habs are still around too

21 hours ago, Baggins said:

Canucks in, Oilers, Leafs and Jets out. That's a successful season. If the Nucks make it past the first round and the Oilers, Leafs and Jets don't get that 1st overall pick it's a HUGE success.

:emot-parrot:

My evil plan is coming together.... :ph34r:

Edited by Baggins

Gotta see who and how many Just  walk away from this team because of the cap issues.
On ice the team played were a team at this point in a rebuild really should a wildcard bubble team. 
so on ice this seasons a success off ice is TBD

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Cheers 1

On 8/10/2020 at 6:04 PM, Jetliner said:

this season is a success if they can win a 7 game playoff series

that sounds like a revised standard though.

Most people would have considered the season a success if the team - with it's very young core - made the playoffs. 

To then expect them to knock off the Stanley Cup champions to consider their season successful = not sure that's reasonable.

I'd add that not only did they 'make the playoffs' - were in a position to when the season halted - and won a 'play-in' qualifier series - but weren't particularly lucky, imo, when the Blues floundered through a round-robin - which imo is a weak way to determine rankings = the Blues were the best team in the Western Conference - 12 pts better than the Stars - to be erased by a single shootout loss.   Almost as Mickey Mouse as the revised lottery where teams like Edmonton, Toronto and Pittsburgh has 12.5% odds of a 1st overall pick. 

Hughes = pretty much a runaway Calder winner.

Conditional pick in Miller trade sealed as a longshot late 1st in a season he was better than a ppg.

2 of the leagues top 3 faceoff guys and Horvat gives them 3 of the top 7.

Pettersson follows up Calder with a ppg season.

Virtanen breaks out for 18 g in 69 g - essentially a 20 goal season equivalent.

Pearson returns to being a 20 goal scorer.

Markstrom emerges as a high end starter and team MVP.

Gaudette forces his way into a deep forward group and scores better than .5 ppg as a rookie playing 12.5 minutes a game.

Veteran group deals with a lot of injuries again, but provides the 'foundation' for the above.

If they knock off St Louis I think it will call for a little more than the word "success".

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Most people would have considered the season a success if the team - with it's very young core - made the playoffs. 

To then expect them to knock off the Stanley Cup champions to consider their season successful = not sure that's reasonable.

I'd add that not only did they 'make the playoffs' - were in a position to when the season halted - and won a 'play-in' qualifier series - but weren't particularly lucky, imo, when the Blues floundered through a round-robin - which imo is a weak way to determine rankings = the Blues were the best team in the Western Conference - 12 pts better than the Stars - to be erased by a single shootout loss.   Almost as Mickey Mouse as the revised lottery where teams like Edmonton, Toronto and Pittsburgh has 12.5% odds of a 1st overall pick. 

Conditional pick in Miller trade sealed as a longshot late 1st in a season he was better than a ppg.

Gaudette forces his way into a deep forward group and scores better than .5 ppg as a rookie playing 12.5 minutes a game.

Veteran group deals with a lot of injuries again, but provides the 'foundation' for the above.

If they knock off St Louis I think it will call for a little more than the word "success".

Juolevi making his debut as well. Sure it was only 6 1/2 minutes but in the context of the narrative over his development its a big deal for him to play fairly well in that time.

Even though its not a player stat, I would also add in signing Rathbone who would have been near or at the top of college free agent signings next year.

• Vintage 1

On 8/10/2020 at 12:24 PM, oldnews said:

#proper-rebuild.

Sarcasm...doubt their team goes anywhere.  Another total loss for the brightest hockey minds in the universe.  #wewillwinthecupbeforebtheydo

52 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Amen.   Like Linden period stuff.   I like our odds really.   If we play St. Louis as well as we did MIN then we won’t just be a dark horse anymore but an actual contender this year. 

Contrasting the Vancouver & Hogtown scenarios at this juncture, makes for mighty mouth-watering schadenfreude.

SNET(& prob all puck media..I don't really pay attn closely) has gone into a high speed wobble todday, to defend/explain away the Laffs' deficiencies. Yet whenever Van's had any issue or hiccup(going back many yrs) the media knives have come out. Always ready to pounce on any opportunity.

At the end of the day, the sporting MSM collectively comes across as an insufferable, monolithic troll. It drives various regions(namely, in Canada) to hate each other..& perhaps that suits the riggeddeckleague just fine?

Which brings us to the point of these threads, like the esteemed @Robert Long has laid out here. It's become a necessity for CDC to constantly reinforce the positives(whether in the now, or near future); there's so much BS-disinformation in the mainstream, the casual fan wouldn't make heads or tails of it all. Lame sites(like that notorious one we oft refer to) piggyback upon the hogwash the press has pushed. More trolls pretending to back our young beauties.

It shouldn't have to be this way, but almost any thread I've started has been partly motivated by desire to offset/contrast the persistent negativity(& outright BS) propagated in the mainstream.

Highlights

The 1st we gave up for Miller isn't a lottery

We made the playoffs after winning a 5 game series.

The young players looked great in the series. The veterans looked great in the series. 

OJ made debut and played good even though he played little and Rathbone signed..

^^^ Sets up excitement for next season, especially if the Veterans can carry their play over.

Only real negative thing, more so unfortunate, is the fact we might lose Toffoli(who we spent assets on) but the pro's outweigh that.

Also Tryamkin not signing but, like Toffoli, that's more unfortunate than a negative we can fault someone on.

A lot went right that had to go right. It's more of a win than a loss and we still aren't done.

Bonuses(don't count): The Leafs and Oilers MISSED THE PLAYOFFS AND DIDN'T WIN THE LOTTERY!!!