The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WCQF: (3) Dallas Stars vs. (6) Calgary Flames | Stars win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/14/2020 at 02:30 AM

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I would have wanted Calgary to win. I cannot stand Dallas at all I know it's been years but I can't accept a leadership core of Seguin and Benn being one round closer in winning the cup. 

No worries. That Dallas team is horrible. 

13 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

The biggest most shocking blowout playoff game I remember was Wings vs. Avs in 2002. For a period of 6 or 7 years it was the greatest rivalry in hockey, bad blood, superstar players on both sides, very back and forth. 2002 WCF pretty much everyone knew the winner would go on to win the Cup against Carolina. The Avs were the defending champs, the Wings were historically stacked. I was really hyped for a legendary game 7, but the Wings completely blew Patrick Roy and the Avs out of the rink, completely trouncing them 7-1. For such a fierce rivalry, this was the end of it and it ended with barely a whimper.

Wasn’t that the game where Roy waved his glove in the air like he had made a spectacular save and meanwhile the puck was behind him on the goal line for an easy tap in?

7 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yes, Dallas didn't win cause they are great, they won because Calgary is way worse.

Fair enough, but I don't think Dallas is as easy of a matchup as it seems. They have a deceptively decent team with a balance of vets and youth. They don't have the label of being defending Cup champs, but they also play a pretty hard game. They wiped out Tkachuk, what would they have done to our guys?

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

My money would be on St Louis beating Dallas head to head.  As for recent records vs certain teams, I think there's probably too much weight given to that - and in this particular playoffs, it was a rare set of circumstances where most teams came in relatively healthy, and all of them more than rested, whereas weighting random regular season matchups, under a lot of variable circumstances, not sure how reliable that is.

Who we face - doesn't matter imo - you have to deal with whatever matchup you get - but you'd never catch me wishing to face St Louis.

Same goes if there's a next round - Vegas, Colorado or Dallas - they're all tough matchups imo.

I didn't mind matching St Louis this year. They were a benchmark team with that defending Cup champs label. If we beat them, that's a lot of confidence for the team moving forward. If we lost, then we had that benchmark test. If we faced Dallas, we would have more pressure to supposedly beat a "lesser" team, while they are deceptively much better than they're being given credit for.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

5 years ago the Canucks choked with an aging core, giving up a 3 goal lead in game 6 of the 1st round...

5 years later Flames are in almost the exact same position....

How far one's come, how far one's fallen.

The difference was that the Sedins, Burrows, Vrbata and Miller were our best/most important players that season and they were all on the wrong side of 30 and it was evident that 2015 was the last kick at the can for the Sedins core. Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm are still in their mid-20s, supposedly their prime. They are suppose to be contending with this core, I would say there is a bigger problem.

• Like 1

Canucks should lock up Markstrom before officially becoming a UFA.   Calgary will be thirsty for a new goalie.  

With the implosion of the Flames last night in net, my guess is that the Flames will be looking hard and long at a top tier goalie in this off season.    I don’t know their cap situation, but if it’s not too bad, I could definitely see Calgary overpaying a goalie (not to the extent that Florida did with Bobrovsky, but an overpayment nonetheless).

My solution?  Give Markstrom the Helleybuck deal and be done with it.  6 years 6 million.

Yes, that term sucks, but beggars can’t be choosers here.   Markstrom has leverage and is very important to our team.   

Bite the bullet, give Markstrom term with the trade off being that we get him at a decent cap hit, and be done with it before Calgary offers Markstrom a terrible contract that we can’t possibly match.

3 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Canucks should lock up Markstrom before officially becoming a UFA.   Calgary will be thirsty for a new goalie.  

With the implosion of the Flames last night in net, my guess is that the Flames will be looking hard and long at a top tier goalie in this off season.    I don’t know their cap situation, but if it’s not too bad, I could definitely see Calgary overpaying a goalie (not to the extent that Florida did with Bobrovsky, but an overpayment nonetheless).

My solution?  Give Markstrom the Helleybuck deal and be done with it.  6 years 6 million.

Yes, that term sucks, but beggars can’t be choosers here.   Markstrom has leverage and is very important to our team.   

Bite the bullet, give Markstrom term with the trade off being that we get him at a decent cap hit, and be done with it before Calgary offers Markstrom a terrible contract that we can’t possibly match.

Talbot had a good year for the Flames so my guess is they figure something out.  Talbot seems to like it there and although he wasn't his best last night, the team has other issues as well. Throwing big bucks at a UFA goalie might not be the right fix. To me, it starts with trading hockey gnome. He is MIA when needes most.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I didn't mind matching St Louis this year. They were a benchmark team with that defending Cup champs label. If we beat them, that's a lot of confidence for the team moving forward. If we lost, then we had that benchmark test. If we faced Dallas, we would have more pressure to supposedly beat a "lesser" team, while they are deceptively much better than they're being given credit for.

those are good points.

48 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Markstrom isn't leaving an up and coming team like Vancouver to join a gong show in Calgary. If they are going to overpay to get a goalie, they will target Holtby. We want Marky here and he wants to be here. His agent may want to play games to up his contract, but in the end, Marky will have the final say. It's why Edler took the deal that he did and Marky is just as loyal and very much a team guy.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Markstrom isn't leaving an up and coming team like Vancouver to join a gong show in Calgary. If they are going to overpay to get a goalie, they will target Holtby. We want Marky here and he wants to be here. His agent may want to play games to up his contract, but in the end, Marky will have the final say. It's why Edler took the deal that he did and Marky is just as loyal and very much a team guy.

Yip. Canucks love Marky and he loves it here. Would take a total breakdown in talks to see him walk, imho.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I agree that Markstrom loves it here, but so did Christian Erhoff, and Erhoff left once Buffalo made him an insane offer.

Markstrom loves it here, but what if a team like Calgary (or some other team that received less than stellar goaltending in the playoffs) makes him an 8 million dollar offer or something and it makes Markstrom stop to think?

My point, is that perhaps the Canucks should try and avoid a situation like that altogether and take a proactive stance.   Give Marky his 6 by 6 right now and be done with it.

5 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I agree that Markstrom loves it here, but so did Christian Erhoff, and Erhoff left once Buffalo made him an insane offer.

Markstrom loves it here, but what if a team like Calgary (or some other team that received less than stellar goaltending in the playoffs) makes him an 8 million dollar offer or something and it makes Markstrom stop to think?

My point, is that perhaps the Canucks should try and avoid a situation like that altogether and take a proactive stance.   Give Marky his 6 by 6 right now and be done with it.

The chances of an offer like that, with a flat cap, uncertain future NHL cap situation are slim to none. Panthers were the last team to overpay a UFA goalie and that doesn't look like the road map to follow. 

• Cheers 1