The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OTT & TML ..(Big Proposal)

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Fine, provided you(or any posters) acknowledge Ott is in a farrr better position going forward.

Dubas destroyed a team..that simple.

We make fun of what a cheap prick Melnyk is, but look at that crop of young talent AND the two top 5 picks this year.

Damn eh. Dorion might not be such an idiot after all eh. 

Edit - insert a few veteran leader types and in a few years they'll be rocking again. Hope Gene sells them on the way up.

Edited by luckylager
  • Upvote 1

I actually prefer Ottawa's team to Toronto's.  They have a few young pieces and they have two top picks this year and nine picks in the first three rounds.  They are not handcuffed with albatross contracts and they have almost $40 million of cap space, so with a new owner they could really become a good young team.  Imagine if they actually spent that $40 million and got some nice UFA's?  They could easily throw big money at Taylor Hall and Alex Pietrangelo.  They could even go after Markstrom.

The problem with Ottawa is getting rid of the owner.  He won't allow the team to spend enough to get competitive again.  You can only go so far with cheap young talent.  Eventually they need to get paid and you need to surround them with veteran leadership.  I'm afraid with Melnyk Ottawa will get just good enough to compete and then they will trade their top players before they need to pay them.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

There's little doubt TO needs to shake things up but, I think moving Marner's a bit of a reach.

I think it would more likely be Nylander or Kapinen that get moved.

They definitely need to revamp their d a bit.

Kapanen is on a good cap hit - they can’t afford to move him.   Nylander would definitely be a big step in the right direction but he’s not going to get much back IF they can find an interested buyer other then freeing up cap space.  The OPs idea has merit.  They need to consider moving on from captain underpants or Marner to get maximum return and the cap space to do something major with.     Imagine the haul for Mathews would be a massive one - doubt they have the balls for it.   Dubas wants to save his job and future employment something drastic needs to be done - this was their last crack at a cup with Tavares and this lineup given the cap constraints. 

On 8/9/2020 at 10:57 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

OTT : 5th OA

TML: Marner

edit:tweaked this proposal a bit. Saw the idea on HF, & it seems interesting...

Not enough for Marner.   Would also need to add something pretty big.   I like your thinking but a blockbuster with OTT won’t happen ... the same way a blockbuster won’t happen between EDM and CAL ever.    They should see what sort of package they could get from ARI for Mathews ... while he’s still got a lot of years before he’s a UFA. 

OEL and a couple firsts?  They need a guy like him and some cap space back.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not enough for Marner.   Would also need to add something pretty big.   I like your thinking but a blockbuster with OTT won’t happen ... the same way a blockbuster won’t happen between EDM and CAL ever.    They should see what sort of package they could get from ARI for Mathews ... while he’s still got a lot of years before he’s a UFA. 

OEL and a couple firsts?  They need a guy like him and some cap space back.  

The original deal was a lil' bigger. Involved about 90 players, 1.5 billion & a bus...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The original deal was a lil' bigger. Involved about 90 players, 1.5 billion & a bus...

What were you thinking?  BT plus a first sounds reasonable I guess - or Chabot and a first would probably be a better deal for TO (get their young PMD)...

Can see why TO’s media is obsessed with the idea Mathews to ARI would be a good fit.   Their marketing (ARI) department would salivate at the chance to bring him home...not sure what the return would look like - OEL makes the most sense to me but I suppose they could do Keller plus plus too.   TO needs to trade Nylander.   Covid is going to hurt TOs and TBs plans more then anyone else for sure. 

• Haha 1