The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it possible to do a whole season in the bubbles?

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

A few weeks ago, I didn't think that it would be possible to actually conduct a whole schedule in this manor, but I'm changing my opinion.

If teams all did their individual training camps, as they did a few weeks ago, and then setup a system where they enter the bubble for 4 - 5 weeks and then have 2 weeks off (all teams). When they come back, certain teams swap bubbles, east and west, to facilitate getting enough variety in games.

Thoughts?

It would be a hard sell to the NHLPA I think but most of these guys are already away from their families for a significant portion of the year so I am not sure if it is really THAT different in that sense. 

I think it is possible as a last resort.. everyone wants to get paid and money makes the world go round, so the show must go on somehow. 

I doubt they would take this approach until it starts going into 2021 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

It would be a hard sell to the NHLPA I think but most of these guys are already away from their families for a significant portion of the year so I am not sure if it is really THAT different in that sense. 

I think it is possible as a last resort.. everyone wants to get paid and money makes the world go round, so the show must go on somehow. 

I doubt they would take this approach until it starts going into 2021 

Agreed, I don't see the players agreeing to spending a whole season away from families.  And I don't blame them one bit.

If the only way games are going to get played is if they are in a bubble, I see the NHL coming up with some sort of tournament so they can at least garner some tv money.  But I think all sports leagues are praying for a vaccinated population so they can get back to normal.

I don't see why not. They may want to shorten the season, and include maybe 2 breaks where people can see their families for a week or so. I could see the NHLPA agreeing to something like a 50 game season with a similar play-in format to the one now. It would need 4 hubs but  thats very doable too. 

• Cheers 1

Realistically,  from a players perspective,  I don't see this as a possibility. 

The isolation from family/friends/other interests to keep a balanced life was/is being exposed right now in regular society.  Having 'bubble breaks' defeats the entire purpose so I don't see that as a solution either. 

58 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Agreed, I don't see the players agreeing to spending a whole season away from families.  And I don't blame them one bit.

If the only way games are going to get played is if they are in a bubble, I see the NHL coming up with some sort of tournament so they can at least garner some tv money.  But I think all sports leagues are praying for a vaccinated population so they can get back to normal.

In what I've proposed, they would be away for about 4 weeks and at home for 2 weeks. Across a whole season, its not that much different than what they have now in terms of away time, and they wouldn't be constantly hopping time zones. They would be in the same timezone for a month at a time.

I can't see NHL, or any other sport, returning to normal building attendance option until at least the end of June next year. The USA is completely out of control and won't have leadership that will make a difference in approach until at least January 2021.

Personally, unless someone has a better idea, I think its going to be something like this, or cancel the 20/21 season altogether.

29 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

What i think would end up happening is having 4 or 6 hab cities that the teams rotate through with games being sprinted in a month followed by breaks outside of the bubble or break rotations. 

Also a really strong possibility that they extend to this.

Edited by VegasCanuck

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Unlikely. 

Asking players to stay away from their families for like 6 months?  At least during normal operations, they can still return back to them when playing at home... but complete isolation?  That's not going to happen.  

I didn't suggest that they stay away from families for 6 months, I suggested 4 or 5 weeks in, 2 weeks out.

• Like 2

Yes.  They need four hub cities and a reduced schedule.   Like 60 games plus a full playoffs.   Just have to get the players to commit and stay out of the US.   These guys get paid ridiculous money - yet countries send their military away for one year tours all the time making peanuts.   Just have to get buy in by the NHLPA.  I’d do it.  So would anyone else I know. 

Edited by IBatch

I'm not sure there is an appetite to have NHL hockey without fans in the building next year.

However, if they would consider it, a shortened season with only inter-conference (possibly even just inter-divisional) play would definitely be doable. Could have the Pacific and Atlantic in the bubble for a few weeks, then switch with the Central and Metro, and do each twice. Could stagger them so there are games going on every week. 6 games against the other 7 divisional opponents (7 games against the 6 in the Central) = 42 game season.

• Cheers 1

If anything they come up with a series of tournaments in hub cities, leading to a set up like we have now.  However, without gate revenue it's unlikely the owners will go for it.  This is likely the last we'll see of hockey for some time

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'm not sure there is an appetite to have NHL hockey without fans in the building next year.

However, if they would consider it, a shortened season with only inter-conference (possibly even just inter-divisional) play would definitely be doable. Could have the Pacific and Atlantic in the bubble for a few weeks, then switch with the Central and Metro, and do each twice. Could stagger them so there are games going on every week. 6 games against the other 7 divisional opponents (7 games against the 6 in the Central) = 42 game season.

The games would likely have to all be in Canada, doubtful owners go for that

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

In what I've proposed, they would be away for about 4 weeks and at home for 2 weeks. Across a whole season, its not that much different than what they have now in terms of away time, and they wouldn't be constantly hopping time zones. They would be in the same timezone for a month at a time.

I can't see NHL, or any other sport, returning to normal building attendance option until at least the end of June next year. The USA is completely out of control and won't have leadership that will make a difference in approach until at least January 2021.

Personally, unless someone has a better idea, I think its going to be something like this, or cancel the 20/21 season altogether.

And if a player contracts Covid-19 while home, he may give it to the rest of the squad upon returning. And will the games be played if a player on either team has a confirmed case or just showing symptoms?  
Just don’t think it will be possible...as disappointing as it will be to say good bye to the season. 
also can see the owners having much interest in playing empty venues.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

And if a player contracts Covid-19 while home, he may give it to the rest of the squad upon returning. And will the games be played if a player on either team has a confirmed case or just showing symptoms?  
Just don’t think it will be possible...as disappointing as it will be to say good bye to the season. 
also can see the owners having much interest in playing empty venues.

Same as they are doing now, all players would have to be tested when returning to the bubble. Quarantine is generally what everyone is supposed to be doing now, anyway and likely will be for the next year.

This virus isn't going away any time soon, this is still the first wave of this.