The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it possible to do a whole season in the bubbles?

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

They still have to pay players but don't get gate revenue.

This is the way its going to be for the next season. There is very little chance that fans will be allowed back into buildings before the end of next summer. The US is still spiraling out of control with no end in sight.

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This is the way its going to be for the next season. There is very little chance that fans will be allowed back into buildings before the end of next summer. The US is still spiraling out of control with no end in sight.

Thus, it's likely this is the last hockey we'll see for a long while.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Same as they are doing now, all players would have to be tested when returning to the bubble. Quarantine is generally what everyone is supposed to be doing now, anyway and likely will be for the next year.

This virus isn't going away any time soon, this is still the first wave of this.

Yep, and thats my point.

ATM they are not leaving the bubble they are in, until they are eliminated, however a long season, where they go home to their families.... If anyone will have to go into isolation, I think the postponement would cause chaos... 

Just don't see it happening...unfortunately.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yep, and thats my point.

ATM they are not leaving the bubble they are in, until they are eliminated, however a long season, where they go home to their families.... If anyone will have to go into isolation, I think the postponement would cause chaos... 

Just don't see it happening...unfortunately.

Canucks luck........get a young, allstar core on the rise and their careers get put on hold

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

If anything they come up with a series of tournaments in hub cities, leading to a set up like we have now.  However, without gate revenue it's unlikely the owners will go for it.  This is likely the last we'll see of hockey for some time

Yeah it probably is.  However it’s not impossible by any stretch.  What happens this playoffs mean something and if the players can manage staying safe it’s not a foregone conclusion (yet) that we won’t see hockey next season.   It’s sad really ... Id say the odds are definitely against it - once school is back in session the second wave is likely coming. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

Canucks luck........get a young, allstar core on the rise and their careers get put on hold

F!ck.  Really.   The league did a truly commendable job on getting things safe this summer ..  for that I’m very grateful. And it’s possible if they make 4 or 6 hub cities they could make a go of it.   What’s going on in the states means they’d almost certainly have to come to Canada to make it work.   I’m doubtful that the players with their money would do it though - and I’m pretty certain that once school is back that we are going to see things revert back to early Covid days at some point.   Still I’m hopeful but the math isn’t in our favour unfortunately 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

As depressing as it sound, it could easily be the end of it all... 

Don't even wanna think about that...

Me neither.   Don’t have my head in the sand - just have to enjoy the hockey we have now ... and hope for the best really. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

As depressing as it sound, it could easily be the end of it all... 

Don't even wanna think about that...

It's not impossible that they set up 3 weeks hubs in Canadian NHL cities for short tournaments, with family time in between and then in the spring have a qualifier before playoffs

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not impossible that they set up 3 weeks hubs in Canadian NHL cities for short tournaments, with family time in between and then in the spring have a qualifier before playoffs

Maybe for a short tournament, but for an NHL season? 

My concern is when they leave to see their families, I don't know but think you'll be lucky if none of them gets Covid-19 or has to go in to quarantine.

And if that is the case, will they continue without the player in question or stop the team from playing (postponing games etc.)

I'm in Aberdeen, Scotland, and up here the soccer season has started. The local team have just had 2 players tested Covid-19 positive and 8 players are in Quarantine.

This is for at least 2 weeks period with no games played, and with the congestion of an NHL season, I would imagine that would have been a problem.

And on top of this, I'm not sure the owners would want to pay, what it would/could cost with no gate revenue...

I get that they are reliant on ticket sales for a chunk of their revenue, but I could see them trying to do something. Of course,it would take a lot of coordination and compromise between the league, NHLPA, media partners etc

3 mini-seasons / 2 bubbles

JAN = Pac Division and Metro in Bubble A , Central and Atlantic in Bubble B
MAR = Metro and Atlantic in Bubble A, Pac and Central in Bubble B
MAY = Pac and Central in Bubble A, Metro and Atlantic in Bubble B

Each month you play one game against each team in your bubble, every other day.

Top x number of teams (my suggestion is 4) in each bubble each month qualify for the playoffs. 

As there will be some teams qualifying multiple times, any additional spots will be filled by wild card teams to get to a 24 team playoff

Some system to seed monthly bubble winners above the rest (overall win %?), etc

then the 24 team playoffs in July, using the same format as this year.

this format would allow a team that did not do well in JAN to start with a fresh slate and chance to qualify in a subsequent month which would keep fan interest going. 

Mr Bettman, you can send me a thank-you note, and Mr Aquilini, you can send me some blueberries... 

28 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Maybe for a short tournament, but for an NHL season? 

My concern is when they leave to see their families, I don't know but think you'll be lucky if none of them gets Covid-19 or has to go in to quarantine.

And if that is the case, will they continue without the player in question or stop the team from playing (postponing games etc.)

I'm in Aberdeen, Scotland, and up here the soccer season has started. The local team have just had 2 players tested Covid-19 positive and 8 players are in Quarantine.

This is for at least 2 weeks period with no games played, and with the congestion of an NHL season, I would imagine that would have been a problem.

And on top of this, I'm not sure the owners would want to pay, what it would/could cost with no gate revenue...

Possible a series of short tournaments where they get to go home between tournies?

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, spook007 said:

At the moment, players are payed for 82 games. If you suddenly cut the season to 50 games from 82, that's nearly 40 percent loss in revenue. The owners would demand a nearly 40% player cut, and their reasoning would be pretty solid: if I have 40 percent less revenue, I should be able to pare my expenses by 40% as well. So, no to reducing the season, no to extending the bubble for the regular season, and pray hard for a vaccine not made and pushed by Russia.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

Possible a series of short tournaments where they get to go home between tournies?

Its the going home that carries the danger. 
However, yes if they start every mini-tournament with a 2 week quarantine, maybe... depends on how desperate they are to get the season going while still fairly safe...

they’ve done well to get this season going so far...

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Its the going home that carries the danger. 
However, yes if they start every mini-tournament with a 2 week quarantine, maybe... depends on how desperate they are to get the season going while still fairly safe...

they’ve done well to get this season going so far...

Agreed, it would have to work in the same way.......phases and mini training camps

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

At the moment, players are payed for 82 games. If you suddenly cut the season to 50 games from 82, that's nearly 40 percent loss in revenue. The owners would demand a nearly 40% player cut, and their reasoning would be pretty solid: if I have 40 percent less revenue, I should be able to pare my expenses by 40% as well. So, no to reducing the season, no to extending the bubble for the regular season, and pray hard for a vaccine not made and pushed by Russia.

Possibly yes.... not sure how contracts are met in these special circumstances, but can see a case for both sides. 
Think as Lucky said earlier, players will probably be willing ti negotiate a way through this, as they need to make money as well. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

If anything they come up with a series of tournaments in hub cities, leading to a set up like we have now.  However, without gate revenue it's unlikely the owners will go for it.  This is likely the last we'll see of hockey for some time

Tickets, merchandise, food, parking pay a huge amount of the players salaries.   I don't think owners will pay that cost without revenue coming in. I don'r see anyway that there is a season until a vaccine is widely distributed, which may be fall of 2021 at the earliest. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yeah it probably is.  However it’s not impossible by any stretch.  What happens this playoffs mean something and if the players can manage staying safe it’s not a foregone conclusion (yet) that we won’t see hockey next season.   It’s sad really ... Id say the odds are definitely against it - once school is back in session the second wave is likely coming. 

Yeah, there are definite hurdles but I wouldn't rule it out yet. I have hope that where there is a will there is a way. People can do great things. It would be a big sacrifice for the players but I don't know how much more they would look forward to being isolated with their families for an entire year in comparison. It's also possible we find a way to shorten or eliminate the quarantine/testing periods as well.

But hey Putin apparently has the vaccine anyways. :lol:

• Vintage 1

From a mental health standpoint I don’t see it. It’s not just about the not seeing family, but being confined to limited areas (hotels and training areas) and being stuck with the same guys 24/7 for months and months on end with no respite and no clear end goal.

Also the players Are human for that length of time rules will get broken and the bubble concept will most likely fail 

• Vintage 1