The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues | August 12th, 2020 | 7:30pm PT, SNP | R1G1

Rate this topic

Roberts

24 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I have been a TG supporter...I feel like he has a good balance between being very confident in what he knows and believes in, but also realizes that it is an "always learning" profession. 

I also like that some articles/media refer to him as young....we were both born in 1970, so I appreciate that  :)

50 years young!  TG to me isn’t much different then our young stars - he has loads of potential but is learning on the job - he gets top marks for getting the team ready to play each night and overarching the past 2 years or so.   He was given better players to work with this year and didn’t disappoint.   Just look what happens to good teams with good coaches ... they underachieve for only so long and then the axe comes.   Personally I think TG has hit the tipping point and now is not going to be one and done if and when he does lose his job here (it will happen as it always does)....and it might end up being like a Quenville situation by then if everything works out perfectly.   Or a Crawford one who knows.   What I’m saying is he won’t be out of work long when it does happen.    As long as we are playing about where is expected of this roster or above it his job should be safe and it most definitely is right now.   It’s a bit of a double edged sword as after this year expectations will be up too.  Think he’s just fine and glad he’s a BC boy,  and that he’s not Babcock.  

Edit:  For someone else who’s watched this team for decades and seen many different coaches come in and go (Neilson, Rick Lee, Quin, Keenan, Crow, AV etc etc) that it’s not an easy job - and that even the best ones get maimed by certain elements of the media and fanbase.   The things I like best about TG is his patience.  He doesn’t windmill the lineup like crazy in games when things aren’t going right (Keenan - wow that was something, or pull the goalie with half a period left for that matter) ... and seems to know how to get the most out of his players - intensity and try wise.   Those are valuable traits.   And the guy was ahead of the curve and talking about things like zone entries and tracking them before the data was tracked for him (a little Nielson in him too).  Quin was my favourite all-time coach because he always had his players backs and they loved him so much they’d play their hearts out for him.   But he wasn’t perfect either.  And did lose the room at least as far as getting the most out of them eventually too.  Not an easy job that’s for sure . 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

Can’t remember the last time a Canucks team didn’t have a bunch of pressure to win a playoff series. Probably 2002 against the Wings, one of the greatest teams of all time. Vancouver scared the heck out of Detroit in that one too, until a certain unmentionable red-line goal. I think Vancouver will really push St. Louis and force them to have to play well!

I don't recall that  lol

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

Can’t remember the last time a Canucks team didn’t have a bunch of pressure to win a playoff series. Probably 2002 against the Wings, one of the greatest teams of all time. Vancouver scared the heck out of Detroit in that one too, until a certain unmentionable red-line goal. I think Vancouver will really push St. Louis and force them to have to play well!

Good comparable.   We had that team on the ropes the first 2.5 games until that infamous pivotal moment.   Why Burke didn’t go out and find a different number one goalie still bugs me.   I get we had spent years looking for McLeans replacement...and Cloutier was fine in the regular season....yeah I’d say this is definitely a similar situation...the biggest difference is St Louis isn’t considered a top ten (8) all-time team like those Detroit teams were - and 2002 is considered the best of the bunch.

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good comparable.   We had that team on the ropes the first 2.5 games until that infamous pivotal moment.   Why Burke didn’t go out and find a different number one goalie still bugs me.   I get we had spent years looking for McLeans replacement...and Cloutier was fine in the regular season....yeah I’d say this is definitely a similar situation...the biggest difference is St Louis isn’t considered a top ten (8) all-time team like those Detroit teams were - and 2002 is considered the best of the bunch.

Me too. Cloutier was a great teammate, but could not play under the pressure. In the first two games of that series , when there was no pressure, he was great, especially in game 2, then, with pressure on, at home, he was awful in games 3 and 4. I mean, Canucks managed to limit the best team in NHL to 14 shots in game 4 and Dan let in 3 of them.

Then he was pulled in game 5 and allowed 2 goals on 3 shots in game 6. 

Anyway, I think this Canucks team is different from 2002 team. We have a better goaltender and younger team, and St. Louis is not as good as Detroit was back there.

We have a good chance. GCG!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

Me too. Cloutier was a great teammate, but could not play under the pressure. In the first two games of that series , when there was no pressure, he was great, especially in game 2, then, with pressure on, at home, he was awful in games 3 and 4. I mean, Canucks managed to limit the best team in NHL to 14 shots in game 4 and Dan let in 3 of them.

Then he was pulled in game 5 and allowed 2 goals on 3 shots in game 6. 

Anyway, I think this Canucks team is different from 2002 team. We have a better goaltender and younger team, and St. Louis is not as good as Detroit was back there.

We have a good chance. GCG!

Ugh that hurts a little when you put it that way.   Really felt that was our year ... being a Canuck fan has its pitfalls.   As in always waiting for the other shoe to drop stuff.   This team is kind of a blank slate and so far the imprinting has been great.   A new chapter for sure and like our chances both now and in the future. I truly hope they are all aware that we won’t have this sort of depth probably ever again with this core .... and think they do.   Miller - what a champ.   Hope they record and show his starting lineup thing again ... a sneak peek into that locker-room is definitely like a big beer and delicious burger to go with it for the soul of us hard-core fans.   Happy times again.    Either way really.   Think we will smoke these guys in five ... six at the most. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1